Locking Luggage

Old October 19th, 2003, 12:00 AM
Charles

Default Locking Luggage

In article , Doug
wrote:

We have built-in locks in our luggage and if you don't lock it, it's
very easy for the latches to be opened. On our last trip, one of the
latches was open when we got our bags from the luggage belt. Luckily
we have straps around them just for this reason.

I have the same problem. I ended up purchasing an inexpensive soft
sided bag to use when flying to a port.

--
Charles
Old October 19th, 2003, 12:06 AM
Charles

In article , Jim
wrote:

I always lock my luggage and if I can use cable ties of a certain color so
that I will know if anyone has entered my luggage. I completely disagree
with these TSA people being able to search my luggage without me being
present but I know it won;t change just yet but my voice will be heard if
they do.

I disagree with it too but is not practicle to lock it anyway. If I
lock the built in locks and they break them the bag becomes useless to
me.

--
Charles
Old October 19th, 2003, 12:40 AM
Surfer E2468

Had them cut the locks on my suit case on the way home,when it went
through the xray it showed 2 bottles in it{was kahula} they opened them
to make sure thats what it was,and then carefully put them back,and then
sealed our case.
Surfer 2468

Old October 19th, 2003, 03:03 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:59:14 -0700 in rec.travel.cruises, "Jim"
wrote:

TSA is a farce with this and thief from luggage has
gone through the roof and the TSA just smile and say they are not
responsible!

please cite the source for your statement that "thief from
luggage has gone through the roof". just cite any reliable news
or police organization.

Old October 19th, 2003, 03:09 AM
Mike Cordelli

Yeah, because before the TSA got involved, there was never a chance anybody
would break into your luggage.

Old October 19th, 2003, 03:53 AM
Jim

Candy, dollars to donuts the TSA also cut the lock on the second bag and
stole the camera etc but they sure as hell were not going to advertise it by
placing their seal on it. This way they claim they know nothing about it. I
lock mine and if anything is ever disturbed I know immediately and will
immediately stop and have it inspected and a thief report made to the real
police. TSA have been given a license to steal and it isn't right and needs
to be stopped. No reason they should ever be allowed to search your bag
outside of your presence unless they actually detect explosives and have
probable cause as the US Constitution demands.
Jim

"Candy Brock" wrote in message
On disembarkation in FLL last Saturday, our combination locks were cut
off both bags before they got to the warehouse. One bag had a TSA seal
and the other did not. The unsealed bag had contained our digital
camera (and ALL OUR PHOTOS). This was by far the stupidest thing I have
ever done. They could have taken anything else out of that suitcase and
I wouldn't be upset. I can buy another camera, but the photos are
irreplaceable.

Candy -- searching for receipts

Doug wrote:
What is the general feeling about not locking your luggage per the new
guidelines?

We have built-in locks in our luggage and if you don't lock it, it's
very easy for the latches to be opened. On our last trip, one of the
latches was open when we got our bags from the luggage belt. Luckily
we have straps around them just for this reason.

Any experience with the TSA opening your locked bags? Any stolen
items from unlocked luggage?

Old October 19th, 2003, 03:55 AM
Jim

That cheap key lock can be opened without a key faster than with one and
then relocked and you would never know it. Use the ties only and chuck that
cheap lock.
Jim

"Odysseus" wrote in message
I purchased some numbered plastic locks that work similar to cable ties.
They are called Tamper Gard manufactured by Austin House. Once locked
in place, they must be cut off. They can't be replaced without leaving
evidence of the luggage being tampered with because the number is unique.

Since I am cheap and don't want to keep buying new ones, I put the
through only one zipper tab. I put a key lock thorough the other zipper
tab and lock it to the plastic lock. I can unlock the key lock and open
the bag, saving the plastic lock. If the TSA wants to get in, they cut
the plastic lock which I will then replace.

Old October 19th, 2003, 03:59 AM
Jim

This is my point! Please tell me just how over half the bags had to be
opened and inspected? What was everyone carrying in these bags that raised
such a concern when x-rayed that they had to immediately open and check them
behind closed doors? TSA is a farce with this and thief from luggage has
gone through the roof and the TSA just smile and say they are not
responsible!
Jim

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
At the ticket counter on a flight last week in San Francisco they were
asking everybody with real locks on their bags to please unlock them.

When
we landed there were many bags (well over half of them) that has the
inspected by the TSA sticker on them, and about half of those had badly
busted locks because people still lock their bags.

If your lock can't be popped if they need to without damaging the bag,

then
I wouldn't lock it. The ticket counter was recommending tape around the
bag, this way you could tell if they were in it, and they could get in
without damaging the bag.