SAINT JOHN, NB & HALIFAX, NS

Old February 22nd, 2005, 05:26 AM
anonymous

Default SAINT JOHN, NB & HALIFAX, NS

WE WILL BE VISITING THE FOLLOWING PORTS ON OUR CRUISE.
CARNIVAL CRUISE SHIP: TRIUMPH (FROM NEW YORK)

ST. JOHN, NEW BRUNSWICK - MON JULY 04, 2005
ARRIVE: 8:00AM
DEPART 4:00PM

HALIFAX, NOVA SCOTIA - TUE JULY 05, 2005
ARRIVE: 9:00AM
DEPART: 6:00PM.

PLEASE POST ANY SUGGESTIONS IN REGARDS TO THE SHIP OR PORTS.

THANK YOU.

Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:17 AM
Susan Wachob

In Halifax, we found the museum related to the immigration (Can't think
of the name. It's like Ellis Island in NYC), to be well done and
fascinating- especially the railroad cars that are set up to represent
the experiences of the various ethnicities of immigrants entering
Canada. We stumbled on it while looking for something to do on an
unexpected rainy day and are glad we did.

Susan

Old February 22nd, 2005, 11:50 AM
Tom Box

Susan Wachob ) writes:

In Halifax, we found the museum related to the immigration (Can't think
of the name. It's like Ellis Island in NYC), to be well done and
fascinating

It's called Pier 21. URL:http://www.pier21.ca

Tom Box or
Toronto, ON, Canada

Old February 22nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
landsend

I can't comment on the ship, but will make a few comments on the port of
Saint John. I have been "uptown" when cruise ships have docked and I know
many passengers spend the day walking around instead of taking bus tours
around the city or outside the city. You dock right near the centre of the
city so as long as you don't mind a bit of walking, you don't need to take
taxis. However, I have noticed there are horse-drawn trolley tours of the
uptown area, which I assume originate near the docking area. These are
slow-moving tours in an open-sided trolley, so you would have a chance to
look at the architecture, etc. as well as hear about the history of the
city. There is also an area set up for the sale of arts and crafts, etc.
The city is an old one (first incorporated city in Canada) so the buildings
are large, many made of stone, etc.. If you like new and shiny, this is not
the city for you. If you like upscale shopping, this is not the city for
you. However, there are lots of little boutiques, second hand shops, etc.
on the many side streets that are fun to go through. Personally, I love it
and enjoy a day wandering around Saint John. It is a city very rich in
history, so if you like this sort of thing, you will have a great day just
wandering around. I believe there is a tourist bureau set up at Barbour's
General Store (very near the docking pier) so you could get walking tour
information there. There is a City Market that is great to visit. Buy some
dulse (you probably won't like it, but try it). I am not sure if you can
pick up "chickenbones" at the Market during the summer, but if you can, try
them. It is a form of candy, made by Ganongs Chocolate Factory, in St.
Stephen, New Brunswick. If you like hard candy, chocolate and cinammon, you
will love chickenbones. They are a staple at my house at Christmas time!
You can walk through the Loyalist City burial ground or stroll through King
Square. You can visit the Loyalist House. The New Brunswick Museum is
located right there as well. I know there are bus tours organized too, as
on "cruise ship days", I see buses at the Reversing Falls area, Moosehead
(beer) factory and gift shop, etc. I believe there might be a bus tour away
from the city to a small seaside resort area (St. Andrews), which is about
an hour and a half away I believe. I'll mention one shop that I love ... it
is called the Handworks Gallery, on King Street. It features work by New
Brunswick artisans (ie. lovely pottery, jewellry, etc.). The weather should
be nice in Saint John in July, but not the hot weather found in New York. I
consider weather in the 70's to be hot (here). You should have a sweater or
wind breaker available "just in case". I guess that is about it. I don't
live in Saint John, but visit often and am rather fond of the city. The
above information is just my personal comments on Saint John, and certainly
not official information. Hope this helps. Enjoy the city. By the way,
Saint John is not usually abbreviated to St. John ... probably the main
reason is to avoid confusing Saint John, New Brunswick with St. John's,
Newfoundland.

Here are some websites to check out:

http://www.city.saint-john.nb.ca/ (City of Saint John)
http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/ (Tourism Saint John)
http://www.gnb.ca/0130/ (New Brunswick Museum)
http://www.handworksnb.com/new_site/ (Handworks Gallery)
http://new-brunswick.net/Saint_John/location.html (another Saint John site)

Old February 23rd, 2005, 03:27 AM
Judy

anonymous wrote:

WE WILL BE VISITING THE FOLLOWING PORTS ON OUR CRUISE.
CARNIVAL CRUISE SHIP: TRIUMPH (FROM NEW YORK)

ST. JOHN, NEW BRUNSWICK - MON JULY 04, 2005
ARRIVE: 8:00AM
DEPART 4:00PM

HALIFAX, NOVA SCOTIA - TUE JULY 05, 2005
ARRIVE: 9:00AM
DEPART: 6:00PM.

PLEASE POST ANY SUGGESTIONS IN REGARDS TO THE SHIP OR PORTS.

THANK YOU.

I don't know about the ships, but being a Maritimer I can tell you about the
ports.
In Saint John, as in the previous post in this thread...I would suggest a
bus or carriage tour. Then for lunch, hit the City Market...incredible -
lots of great vendors - the Wild Carrot is a favorite, their "Whale of a
Salad" is extremely satisfying. After lunch a nice stroll through the down
town core is in order. If you have time, visit the Imperial Theatre - it's
beautiful.
In Halifax, definitely take in Pier 21 and wander the downtown core, Point
Pleasant Park, and Public Gardens. As well, walking along the boardwalk is
entertaining with the little shops and buskers. A new developement called
Bishop's Landing has some nice higher end shops.
Have a great trip!

Old February 25th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Dan

Thanks to both of the last two posts on Saint John. I'm also planning
a trip to NB this summer (early July, I think - don't have a definite
timeline yet), so appreciate the advice. If I have about 2-3 days to
see stuff between St. Stephen and, say, Shediac by way of Saint John
and the Hopewell Rocks, how would recommend I spend my time. My wife
and I have a wide variety of interests and the only catch is that we
also have a 2-year-old. He's pretty easy-going, but long hikes are
usually out of the question unless we can bring a stroller along.
Also, what advice can you give about taking a side trip north to
Caraquet and/or Shippagan?

:-Dan

Old February 27th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Greg Beaulieu

Living in Halifax, my sense is that Saint John is decidedly second-rate.
;-) It has some air problems in the summer due to the oil and paper
plants.

Halifax can offer Pier 21 right where the ships dock, the immigration
museum. Worth a visit. Lots of really good restaurants downtown and
shopping along Spring Garden Road. Avoid the obvious tourist places like
Murphy's on the Water and Salty's. The Halifax Citadel is a federal
historic site at the top of the hill and worth a trip. Then there is the
requisite visit to Peggy's Cove, although I'd be tempted to pass on that.
Just take the boardwalk along the waterfront and take it all in.

Old March 1st, 2005, 04:22 PM
Dan

Again, any thoughts on stuff along the New Brunswick coast?