art auctions

Old February 6th, 2006, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default art auctions

Does anyone have experience or advice concerning the art auctions held on
cruises? I would like to know whether they are good deals, or whether I can
get ripped off. I'm not an art expert, but would be interested in bidding
as an activity on my cruise. I understand the company is Park West at Sea.
I couldn't seem to locate much info on their website.
Thanks for any information you can lend.
Babs

Old February 6th, 2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

They tell you that you are buying their art at a deep discount. They
make this statement based upon the difference between the "auction"
price and their "appraisal".
I have found that a good rule of thumb is if you like it, then buy it. I
would not count on it as an investment.

Old February 6th, 2006, 08:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"bb" wrote in
ink.net:

Does anyone have experience or advice concerning the art auctions held
on cruises? I would like to know whether they are good deals, or
whether I can get ripped off. I'm not an art expert, but would be
interested in bidding as an activity on my cruise. I understand the
company is Park West at Sea. I couldn't seem to locate much info on
their website. Thanks for any information you can lend.
Babs

prices aren't bad, just not as good as they make them sound. If you like
it and are happy with the price it is a good thing, none of it is likely
to be worth more than you paid however and that is the big complaint
about the way they pimp the stuff.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old February 6th, 2006, 09:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"bb" wrote in
ink.net:

Does anyone have experience or advice concerning the art auctions held
on cruises? I would like to know whether they are good deals, or
whether I can get ripped off. I'm not an art expert, but would be
interested in bidding as an activity on my cruise. I understand the
company is Park West at Sea. I couldn't seem to locate much info on
their website. Thanks for any information you can lend.
Babs

prices aren't bad, just not as good as they make them sound. If you like
it and are happy with the price it is a good thing, none of it is likely
to be worth more than you paid however and that is the big complaint
about the way they pimp the stuff.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations
http://www.josephcoulter.com/

Thanks for your kind reply. I look forward to buying a piece or two and
hope they are reputable enough to actually ship them to me!
babs

Old February 6th, 2006, 11:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

They will ship you the items and you will get what you paid for. As the
others have said, if you like it and like the price then go ahead and buy
it. You are not going to get a $5,000 print, sketch, lithograph, etc for
$100. Remember there is also a buyers premium which is usually 10-15%. We
have bought some works we like and wanted many years ago and they are
probably worth what we paid by now. They are not an investment.
Jim

link.net...

Old February 6th, 2006, 11:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Thanks, Jim. Always glad to hear that they WILL send the art if I pay for
it. Always a little skeptical I suppose when you think you'll never see
these guys again.
babs

"jim" wrote in message
. ..
They will ship you the items and you will get what you paid for. As the
others have said, if you like it and like the price then go ahead and buy
it. You are not going to get a $5,000 print, sketch, lithograph, etc for
$100. Remember there is also a buyers premium which is usually 10-15%. We
have bought some works we like and wanted many years ago and they are
probably worth what we paid by now. They are not an investment.
Jim

link.net...

Old February 7th, 2006, 12:00 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

The question isn't whether you Can get ripped of... You WILL get ripped
off. They are simply expensive prints. And very expensive. They are NOT
an investment.

If you enjoy something, consider buying it for your own enjoyment. But
don't buy it for an investment.

--Tom

ink.net...

Old February 7th, 2006, 12:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"bb" wrote in message
link.net...
Thanks, Jim. Always glad to hear that they WILL send the art if I pay for
it. Always a little skeptical I suppose when you think you'll never see
these guys again.
babs

They have the concession on just about every ship. That's too much exposure
to risk not sending you the piece you bought. They can make much more money
gouging you on price, than they can on stiffing you.

Most pieces probably cost about 50 cents to reproduce in the quantities that
they buy. If you pay $800 for something that cost them 50 cents... why
would they not ship it?

This is all about sending your wallet home lighter than when you came on
board. And they're masters at it. They'll sell you a song and dance about
what a limited edition you're buying.

If you really want a piece of art, my suggestion would be to visit a local
art gallery at one of the places that you visit, and buy an original oil
painting or water color at the gallery. Then at least you have something
created by the Artist's hands. Not by a big fancy Xerox machine in a run of
a million copies.

--Tom

Old February 7th, 2006, 01:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

If you enjoy something, consider buying it for your own enjoyment. But
don't buy it for an investment.

Don't forget the free champagne...! Even if it tastes like vinegar. Free
is free....and you don't have to buy anything...
kinda like getting Disney tickets after enduring a timeshare session.

Still....I'd rather play trivia, or rest up for supper.