Spain Travel

Old November 5th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Cindi

Default Spain Travel

Please let me know how Spain was to travel in and any recommendations are
greatly appreciated..so much to do so little time....

Old November 6th, 2003, 12:48 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

Please let me know how Spain was to travel in and any recommendations
are greatly appreciated..so much to do so little time....

Read a guidebook about different places to go, to match what you might
enjoy.

Train is handy for larger cities, but car is great for exploring areas more
intensively (true anywhere).

Distances can be very long--it is a big country. Plan your route
thoughtfully in advance.

For some reason, I can understand virtually anything in Italy (and France)
and can't understand ANYTHING in Spain--though I have studied Spanish in my
youth, and been exposed to it in different forms much of my life. People
there talk fast.

Keep valuables secure from petty crime (e.g. money belt); leave nothing in
parked cars.

Don't expect natives to fall over themselves to be courteous and friendly
with you.

Expect dull food. Then you won't be disappointed when you get dull food
(as Rick Steves wrote: they eat to live, whereas the French or Italians
live to eat).

Old November 6th, 2003, 05:02 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Douglas W. Hoyt wrote:
[...]

Then again there were several folks who went out of their way to help me
maneuver my car out of the depths of Toledo where the parking signs had
directed me. FFM

Old November 6th, 2003, 05:19 AM
Gustavo Ariel Schurman

Hi Douglas, I don't agree with You, Spanishs are very open and very
nice talking to anyone, food is the best !!!!

Maybe because I'm from Argentina, same language and similar cultures
than american...

You can find nicer people in the south of spain rather than north, go
to Andalucia Province - Granada City you won't regret it. Ask for
"Tapas".

Gustavo.

Old November 6th, 2003, 10:03 AM
José M. Malo

"Douglas W. Hoyt" escribió en el mensaje
Expect dull food. Then you won't be disappointed when you get dull food
(as Rick Steves wrote: they eat to live, whereas the French or Italians
live to eat).

=:-O

Old November 6th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Ben

What did you expect?
if you don't understand the language
if you order the same dull food as in ur own country.. spanish food is good,
but as in most places: don't go and eat in touristical places (guidebooks
usually point you to these places eg: Lonely Planet is bound to send you to
american-like food places)

For the original poster: The best travel tip (for any place on earth) i can
give is: try to get a foot in the door, seek contact with locals from
advance, they will be able to show you the real spain and not the touristic
surface. You may end up with a good friend. and of course: learn the
language (or at least try to speak it).
I generally find people in latin countries (and spain) are very friendly &
warm but you'll need to make the minimum effort... true, they won't fall
over themselves but place yourself in their position once, would you fall
over yourself for an stranger/tourist immediately?

Regards,

ben (belgium)

Old November 6th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Yoshiko

"Douglas W. Hoyt" wrote in message
Expect dull food. Then you won't be disappointed when you get dull food
(as Rick Steves wrote: they eat to live, whereas the French or Italians
live to eat).

I disagree. I enjoyed all of my dining experience in Barcelona, Toledo and
Madrid.
My sister brings Michellen's restaurant guide, as well as regular travel
guide whenever we travel Europe, and we choose restaurants carefully. We
never had a bad/dull food during our trip in Spain.

Old November 6th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Reid

Following up to Douglas W. Hoyt

Keep valuables secure from petty crime (e.g. money belt); leave nothing in
parked cars.

the car thing is true, the money belt only in Madrid/Barcelona

Don't expect natives to fall over themselves to be courteous and friendly
with you.

Spanish people are *very* friendly

Expect dull food. Then you won't be disappointed when you get dull food
(as Rick Steves wrote: they eat to live, whereas the French or Italians
live to eat).

Then he knows nothing. Who is this idiot? I would like to here
him say that to a St Sebastian cooking society!

"http://www.fell-walker.co.uk/espania.htm"

The Spanish are just as much in love with food as the Italians
and the French.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old November 6th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Reid

Following up to Frank F. Matthews

Don't expect natives to fall over themselves to be courteous and friendly
with you.

Then again there were several folks who went out of their way to help me
maneuver my car out of the depths of Toledo where the parking signs had
directed me. FFM

When I was lost in Sanlucar (having neglected to get a sreetmap
:-( ) a white van man spotted us circling the town and asked
where we wanted. He then led us to our hotel in his van.
Old November 6th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Reid

Following up to Gustavo Ariel Schurman

Hi Douglas, I don't agree with You, Spanishs are very open and very
nice talking to anyone, food is the best !!!!

Si !

Maybe because I'm from Argentina, same language and similar cultures
than american...

No, they are nice to Brits too.

You can find nicer people in the south of spain rather than north, go
to Andalucia Province - Granada City you won't regret it. Ask for
"Tapas".

Gustavo, I don't agree. The Galicians are very nice. OK Castille
is a little more serious, but still friendly. Not as warm and
happy as south americans maybe, but still nice!