Hurricane Wilma & Cayman/Coz - Weather Aftermath?

Old October 20th, 2005, 05:16 AM

Default Hurricane Wilma & Cayman/Coz - Weather Aftermath?

We are scheduled on the Carnival Inspiration leaving Tampa on Monday
the 23rd. We are hopeful that by then Wilma has run its course and is
out to sea on the Atlantic or dissipated to something less extreme.

What I'm wondering now is, not being that much of a meteorologist, what
the storm will have done to affect the weather and water temps in
Cayman and Cozumel, our two ports of call on the 5 day cruise. Should
we expect rougher seas left over, cooler waters, cooler temps?

Here's hoping that the storm lessens soon and everyone can be safe,
first and foremost. And of course, we're also hoping that our
itinerary can stay the same and that we don't have to fly into Tampa in
the middle of a Cat 3/4 on Sunday!

B.

Old October 20th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Rosalie B.

jcoulter wrote:

wrote in news:1129781814.433286.288990
:

We are scheduled on the Carnival Inspiration leaving Tampa on Monday
the 23rd. We are hopeful that by then Wilma has run its course and is

The 23rd is Sunday.

out to sea on the Atlantic or dissipated to something less extreme.

Wilma has already gone from Cat 5 to Cat 4, but most of the
predictions are for the storm to be in Florida on Sunday/Monday.

What I'm wondering now is, not being that much of a meteorologist, what
the storm will have done to affect the weather and water temps in
Cayman and Cozumel, our two ports of call on the 5 day cruise. Should
we expect rougher seas left over, cooler waters, cooler temps?

You may well go somewhere else. Because you would be going right into
the hurricane path. If you do get there I would expect rough seas and
decreased viz (underwater).

Here's hoping that the storm lessens soon and everyone can be safe,
first and foremost. And of course, we're also hoping that our
itinerary can stay the same and that we don't have to fly into Tampa

in
the middle of a Cat 3/4 on Sunday!

B.

No one can tell untill afterward, but Cozumel may not be in such good
shape and may well be cut from your itinerary, It is going to get hit
tonight. Cayman should be drying out and fine by the time you get there.
Often the weather right behind a storm is clear and bright, but there
are no guarantees.

grandma Rosalie
Old October 20th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Tom K

wrote in message
oups.com...
We are scheduled on the Carnival Inspiration leaving Tampa on Monday
the 23rd. We are hopeful that by then Wilma has run its course and is
out to sea on the Atlantic or dissipated to something less extreme.

What I'm wondering now is, not being that much of a meteorologist, what
the storm will have done to affect the weather and water temps in
Cayman and Cozumel, our two ports of call on the 5 day cruise. Should
we expect rougher seas left over, cooler waters, cooler temps?

Here's hoping that the storm lessens soon and everyone can be safe,
first and foremost. And of course, we're also hoping that our
itinerary can stay the same and that we don't have to fly into Tampa in
the middle of a Cat 3/4 on Sunday!

B.

You're starting to get close to the equator when you're down by
Cayman/Cozumel, so there's little chance of either cooler water or cooler
temps, unless you get a massive cold front from the north come through (we
had that happen once out by St. Thomas). And even if that happened, it
would probably only affect the air, not the water temp, since there's no
source of cold water around that could even reach that area - the colder
Atlantic is pretty far away. Seas could be rougher than normal, and islands
may be without electricity and fresh water.

--Tom

Old October 20th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Rog'

wrote:
We are scheduled on the Carnival Inspiration leaving Tampa on
Monday the 23rd. We are hopeful that by then Wilma has run its
course and is out to sea on the Atlantic or dissipated to something
less extreme.

They haven't said so yet, but there's a chance that your ship could be
delayed or rerouted. I suggest that you continue to check at Carnival's
website (www.carnival.com) Look for the "Weather Update" link on
the lower right side, or call their customer service.

Old October 21st, 2005, 11:04 PM
Jim C

B.
We will be on-board as well. Looks like we will have to drive down from NY
as the storm now (Fri PM) looks like it will still be West of FL. I won't
take the chance of missing the boat due to airline problems. I have asked
Carnival what their plans are, and they have told me 1) Our cruise could be
delayed, 2) Our cruise will depart from either Canaveral or Jacksonville,
and 3) Our cruise will go as planned, but visit "other locations". Oh
Brother.....
Looks like the only thing to do is pack up the rent-a-van, plug in a movie,
pour a libation and enjoy 24 hours on the road.
Jim

oups.com...

Old October 22nd, 2005, 07:49 AM
Brian K

You can bet on there being other locations substituted for at least one
of the stops. From what I saw on tonight's news on WCBS-TV Wilma is
whacking the hell out of northern Cozumel with 125 - 150 mph winds. The
northern part of the island includes San Miguel the main town where the
cruise ships dock. Playa del Carmen is on the mainland across from
Cozumel and is getting whacked as well. Cancun and Havana are next.
The hurricane is moving at a slow 7 mph which means that it will spend
more time reining down havoc wherever Wilma strikes.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

On 10/21/2005 6:04 PM Jim C after palpating a Ginkgo, electronically
interjected:

B.
We will be on-board as well. Looks like we will have to drive down from NY
as the storm now (Fri PM) looks like it will still be West of FL. I won't
take the chance of missing the boat due to airline problems. I have asked
Carnival what their plans are, and they have told me 1) Our cruise could be
delayed, 2) Our cruise will depart from either Canaveral or Jacksonville,
and 3) Our cruise will go as planned, but visit "other locations". Oh
Brother.....
Looks like the only thing to do is pack up the rent-a-van, plug in a movie,
pour a libation and enjoy 24 hours on the road.
Jim

roups.com...