Counterfeit Euro detection

Old November 8th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Casey

Default Counterfeit Euro detection

Does anyone know a URL that explains the security features of
Euro notes, i.e. a webpage that explains how to spot a counterfeit
Euro note?

Casey

Old November 8th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Gernot Egger

Casey wrote:
Does anyone know a URL that explains the security features of
Euro notes, i.e. a webpage that explains how to spot a counterfeit
Euro note?

http://www.euro.ecb.int/

- http://www.euro.ecb.int/en/section/recog.html

lg Gernot

Old November 8th, 2003, 08:40 PM
tim

"Gernot Egger" wrote in message ...
Casey wrote:
Does anyone know a URL that explains the security features of
Euro notes, i.e. a webpage that explains how to spot a counterfeit
Euro note?

There was a news item yesterday telling how many dud notes
there are. There are apparently even people counterfeiting the
coins! (I suppose that give the 15 different designs and the
fact that most people will have seen few outside their own
country's you could probably pass a coin with micky mouse
on it unchallenged).

So they asked people to spot the counterfeits (on a "which of
these two is counterfeit" basis) and apparently almost no-one
got it. This surprises me, I am confident that I could tell a
counterfeit note if I was asked to look (unless it was so good
that the bank would be fooled) but TBH I doubt that I'd notice
if I got one in my change as I just don't have the time (or the
courage) to check every note that the cashier gives me.

BTW probably the best way to tell a 'real' note is to look
for the 'two-tone' ink used on the 50s and above. I suspect
that this is beyond the counterfeiters (or perhaps, is not cost
effective)

tim

Old November 11th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Thomas Peel

Casey wrote:
[...]

I thought the 50€ was the most common forgery.

I suspect
that this is beyond the counterfeiters (or perhaps, is not cost
effective)

tim

One problem is that, because the contracts to print notes had to be
divided between all the countries for political reasons, the security
measures used in the banknotes had to be reduced to a subset that all
the printers could handle technically.

Old November 11th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Arwel Parry

In message , Thomas Peel
writes

tim schrieb:
I suspect
that this is beyond the counterfeiters (or perhaps, is not cost
effective)

tim

One problem is that, because the contracts to print notes had to be
divided between all the countries for political reasons, the security
measures used in the banknotes had to be reduced to a subset that all
the printers could handle technically.

I don't think so -- I got the impression that they tried pretty much to
get every anti-counterfeit technique that all the countries used in
their own notes. Consider -
- the feel of the paper
- the watermark
- the watermark barcode which identifies the value of the note
- the metal strip
- the part-printing of the design on the two sides of the top corner so
you only see the whole value when it's held to the light (and requires
that the two sides be printed in perfect register)
- the ultraviolet fluorescence
- the holograms on all the notes
- the optically-varying ink on the higher values
- microprinting
- the checksum on the serial numbers

The only trick I've seen which wasn't used on the euro was printing the
serial number with variable sized numbers, as is done on Czech and some
Scottish notes.

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/
Old November 11th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Casey

I got the impression that they tried pretty much to get every anti-
counterfeit technique that all the countries used in their own notes.

I also think that the techniques embarrassed the USA into updating
American notes. Witness the new $20 note with colored ink for
the very first time. We'll probably never see holograms because
of the uproar from the bill changing machine companies.

Casey

Old November 11th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Miguel Cruz

Arwel Parry wrote:
I don't think so -- I got the impression that they tried pretty much to
get every anti-counterfeit technique that all the countries used in
their own notes.

They skipped the Dutch tactic of listing all the measures in fine print on
the note itself, so anyone could tick them off as they checked for them.

I always wondered if counterfeiters there would edit that text to excise
mention of the anti-counterfeiting measures they didn't bother to duplicate.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old November 8th, 2003, 08:30 PM
tile

In Italy a prinitng house has been found with million
of
50eur banknotes.
apparently they are good enough and have different serial numbers.
ink.net...