How to Avoid Pickpockets

Old July 24th, 2010, 04:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Barbara Brown

Default How to Avoid Pickpockets

On 7/24/2010 9:00 AM, Charles wrote:
In , Thumper
wrote:

And? What makes you think Asian tourists aren't ripped off?

Pickpockets are going to be able to spot tourists whether they are
American, Asian or European.

Be cautious in crowded places.

Pickpockets are everywhere, even in our local cities and pick the locals
too. My husband, an ex-marine, is always aware of who is where and
what's going on around him. Pickpockets look for people who are
distracted, women who have loose hanging purses. Have a short strap on
your purse so it's under your armpit or hang it over your neck/shoulder
so it is in front of you (not the side) with your hand on it at all
times. Men, if you keep your wallet in your back pocket, keep your money
in your front pocket so they are not together. Or use a money belt.

I leave most of my cash in the ships safe and only take small amounts I
think I'll need on shore along with one credit/debit card and my passport.

Make sure you have either photocopies of your credit/debit cards and
passports for all the numbers (including phone numbers) written down.
Keep that in the cabin's safe. It's easier to get a new passport if you
have a photocopy.

When we go through the security at the airport. One of us goes through
first and waits while all our belongings come off the belt while the
other goes through. We make sure no belongings go through without one of
us at the end.
Old July 24th, 2010, 04:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
RsH

I buy and use Tilley Endurable pants [long leg or shorts] and have a
Tilley Gardener's Hat. The pants have an interior velcro closed pocket
inside one of the pockets, into which money and passports, etcetera,
go. The hat also has a pocket inside it that is velcro closed that can
be used for something light in weight. Not cheap, but they last
forever. Great guaranty as well.

http://www.tilley.com/

http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?cat...productNo=UL21
is a pair of shorts with lots of pockets.

http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?cat...productNo=TE22
are the shorts I own.

http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?cat...productNo=TE25
are the pants I own, several pairs of them...

They even have a list of how to avoid pickpockets suggestions at:
http://www.tilley.com/stories/pickpockets.asp

FWIW
RsH
Old July 24th, 2010, 05:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 7/24/2010 11:40 AM, RsH wrote:
I buy and use Tilley Endurable pants [long leg or shorts] and have a
Tilley Gardener's Hat. The pants have an interior velcro closed pocket
inside one of the pockets, into which money and passports, etcetera,
go. The hat also has a pocket inside it that is velcro closed that can
be used for something light in weight. Not cheap, but they last
forever. Great guaranty as well.

Or you could simply add velcro to the pockets of clothing you already own...
Old July 24th, 2010, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"S Viemeister" wrote in message

Or you could simply add velcro to the pockets of clothing you already
own...

Or they could simply not be so paranoid, thinking someone's about to pounce
on their pathetic few dollars around every corner!

Ian

Old July 24th, 2010, 06:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Jul 23, 11:41*pm, billzz wrote:
Wear a Burberry trench coat that has so many pockets that no one would
have any chance of finding anything.

That may be a little more difficult in the summer. When I travel
during the winter, I wear a ski jacket with a liner; valuables go into
a pocket behind three levels of zippers. My pants pockets have been
fitted with velcro closures.

The real answer is to keep distance.

That is not always practical. I also carry a "fake" wallet in the
"normal" place, filled with monopoly money and fake credit cards. It
serves, in part, as a reminder to me to secure my real wallet. It
also has a tiny ziplock bag filled with powdered colchicine (I am
hoping the pickpocket with think it is "good" stuff).

My backpack is lined with metal screen mesh to protect aganst being
cut open with a razor. In addition, the screen is wired to a high-
voltage source (think taser) to give the pickpocket a pleasant
surprise.

My shoulder/beach bag has a foam ball spiked with needles and razor
baldes.

Please offer any other suggestions on fun ways to welcome the
pickpockets.
Old July 24th, 2010, 06:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
Ari Silverstein, C.T.A.

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 17:43:52 +0100, Ian F. wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message

Or you could simply add velcro to the pockets of clothing you already
own...

Or they could simply not be so paranoid, thinking someone's about to pounce
on their pathetic few dollars around every corner!

Ian

Winner!
--
Ari Silverstein, C.T.A; C.T.A.S, FREE Cruise Travel Advisory Services
Sign up for special email deals @ www.CruiseQuick.com - Sells more
Old July 24th, 2010, 07:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 12:46:26 +0100, "Ian F."
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message

Avoid behaving and looking like an American tourist.

Absolutely. Why do Americans feel they have to advertise what they have with
them - camera bags, money belts, bum-bags (AKA fanny-packs), manbags...I
just stick cash and cards in my trousers pockets!

As if they won't be taken for an American tourist anyway.

I'm not sure how a money belt advertises anything, and a fanny
pack is a sure way to lose its contents to a pickpocket.

As to cameras, many tourists carry those, not just Americans.

It's not the accoutrements that mark an American. It's the
behavior. And the speech.

Old July 24th, 2010, 07:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:45:53 -0400, "Ari Silverstein, C.T.A."
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 17:43:52 +0100, Ian F. wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message

Or you could simply add velcro to the pockets of clothing you already
own...

Or they could simply not be so paranoid, thinking someone's about to pounce
on their pathetic few dollars around every corner!

Ian

Winner!

I got my wallet taken as I exited the Paris Metro at the George
Cinq station. Someone tripped me, and as I stumbled my wallet
disappeared.

I had been stupid enough to betray my wallet's location while on
the Metro. Bad move.

Old July 24th, 2010, 08:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Jul 24, 11:42*am, Hatunen wrote:
I had been stupid enough to betray my wallet's location while on
the Metro. Bad move.

For guys, there are two or three high-probability locations. They
will try those places first if they see a lump. They may try even if
there are no obvious bulges.

A couple friends had their bags slashed while they were watching a
tourist spectacle (a changing of the guard ceremony). They were not
aware of being victimized until much later.