General consensus on Ryanair?

Old March 7th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Jost Ammon

Default General consensus on Ryanair?

Is Ryanair seen as the intruder, the agressor, the not-feasable, the
un-serious, the exploiter? Or is it seen as the innovator, the
democratisator of air trafic, the catalyst?

Are they paying less attention to detail, security or dedication for
economic pressure? Or are they lean, quick, efficient, flexible,
open-minded? Do they suppress or encourage staff?

I've my opinion but would like to see what others say.

--
He who opens the windows invites the bugs in
Old March 7th, 2004, 09:14 AM
freeda

Is Ryanair seen as the intruder, the agressor, the not-feasable, the
un-serious, the exploiter? Or is it seen as the innovator, the
democratisator of air trafic, the catalyst?

Are they paying less attention to detail, security or dedication for
economic pressure? Or are they lean, quick, efficient, flexible,
open-minded? Do they suppress or encourage staff?

I've my opinion but would like to see what others say.

Ryanair are ****, but without them, I wouldn't be getting GBP60 Return fares
LHR-DUB with BMI.

Old March 7th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Traveller

"Jost Ammon" wrote in message
Is Ryanair seen as the intruder, the agressor, the not-feasable, the
un-serious, the exploiter? Or is it seen as the innovator, the
democratisator of air trafic, the catalyst?

Are they paying less attention to detail, security or dedication for
economic pressure? Or are they lean, quick, efficient, flexible,
open-minded? Do they suppress or encourage staff?

Ryanair get a bad press but I think what really happens is that 99.99% of
passengers have a trouble-free journey but when things do go wrong with FR,
for example flight cancellations, they go REALLY wrong because of FR's
clearly-stated policy of no assistance whatsoever should something go awry.
However, I have little sympathy for the moaning minnies who run to the press
when they're stuck somewhere because of a cancellation as all they have to
do is take out travel insurance - it's designed to cover exactly this type
of event.

I've flown them a few times, although not terribly recently, but have had
trouble-free and on-time journeys each time. I think they're in the
spotlight a bit more than say, Easyjet, because of their unique and some
would say agressive PR stance. I support all low-cost carriers who enable
travel at fair prices. They are, IMO, lean, quick and efficient, to use
your words. They react rapidly to changing market conditions and exploit
new opportunities swiftly and effectively. The air travel consumer in
Europe has been screwed for too long and Ryanair and their like are finally
bringing some justice to the situation.

Old March 7th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Jost Ammon

Traveller wrote:

[...]

This is exactly the experience I've made myself. There were delays, but the
delays were clearly due to weather conditions, once the aircraft had to
cycle for half an hour since a thunderstorm went down at Frankfurt-Hahn
right at scheduled time of landing (it was really a bit scary, lightnings
around, no sight until seconds prior to touchdown - but I did not feel
worried, the pilot did excellent jobs), and at another occasion a
snow-storm went down in STN.

IT was only last weekend when I went to STN at 22:30 when, looking out of
the window while approaching, I became aware of all those aircraft
following us or ahead of us. They all turned out to be FRs coming in from
all parts of Europe. Ryanair has developed a really tight and reliable
European connections network at very low fares - I find that incredibly
great.

I know even of examples where managers of great corporations (are car
manufacturers large enough?) did fly with FR to meet their budget
requirements.

I still ask myself where the hook is, where those massive costs of the LHs,
BAs and AFs are, which FR avoids. A LH captain in our neighborhood
maintains that FR is planning with limited ressources which can more easily
lead to a critical situation, but I did never have the impression of
carelessness.

To my great joy they have started to operate from Karlsruhe Baden-Baden
(again the French shot themselves in the foot, sacking FR from Strasbourg)
where I live, so I am now connected to Europe at fares that I can afford
with a family of five persons.

I think they're in the
spotlight a bit more than say, Easyjet, because of their unique and some
would say agressive PR stance.

That was exactly what caused me reserves at the beginning.

I support all low-cost carriers who enable
travel at fair prices. They are, IMO, lean, quick and efficient, to use
your words. They react rapidly to changing market conditions and exploit
new opportunities swiftly and effectively. The air travel consumer in
Europe has been screwed for too long and Ryanair and their like are
finally bringing some justice to the situation.

Full ack.

Jost

--
He who opens the windows invites the bugs in
Old March 8th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Simon Elliott

Jost Ammon writes
Is Ryanair seen as the intruder, the agressor, the not-feasable, the
un-serious, the exploiter? Or is it seen as the innovator, the
democratisator of air trafic, the catalyst?

Are they paying less attention to detail, security or dedication for
economic pressure? Or are they lean, quick, efficient, flexible,
open-minded? Do they suppress or encourage staff?

I've my opinion but would like to see what others say.

In my opinion Ryanair is OK for some types of travel. I'm travelling
with them again next week. I use them for non business travel, where it
won't be a big disaster if I arrive at my destination a bit late, and
where the destination airport is convenient for where I want to get to.

So far they have always got me to where I want to go ahead of schedule.

I probably wouldn't use them for business travel, or to connect to
another flight.

--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/