Croisette beach restaurants devastated

Old January 5th, 2010, 12:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Michael[_1_]

Default Croisette beach restaurants devastated

The recent storms devastated many of the beach restaurants along the
Croisette in Cannes and in Juan-les-Pins. Although they are important
attractions for visitors, many locals are reluctant to reimburse the
damage. Their location, and the fact that they have turned many of the
beaches into no-go areas unless you're a client, is raising the issue
once again.

I've seen reports of people being hounded off the public parts of the
beaches as they blocked the view for the restaurant customers. So I'm
not entirely surprised by the srength of the reactions in Nice Matin.

http://www.nicematin.com/ra/cannes/2...-les-plagistes

http://cannes-or-bust.com/
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Michael writes:

The recent storms devastated many of the beach restaurants along the
Croisette in Cannes and in Juan-les-Pins. Although they are important
attractions for visitors, many locals are reluctant to reimburse the
damage. Their location, and the fact that they have turned many of the
beaches into no-go areas unless you're a client, is raising the issue
once again.

I've seen reports of people being hounded off the public parts of the
beaches as they blocked the view for the restaurant customers. So I'm
not entirely surprised by the srength of the reactions in Nice Matin.

It sounds like they also object to the state or insurance companies constantly
reimbursing people again and again after they build and rebuild in locations
that they know will be destroyed by bad weather. I tend to agree.
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
mikeos

Michael wrote:
The recent storms devastated many of the beach restaurants along the
Croisette in Cannes and in Juan-les-Pins. Although they are important
attractions for visitors, many locals are reluctant to reimburse the
damage. Their location, and the fact that they have turned many of the
beaches into no-go areas unless you're a client, is raising the issue
once again.

I've seen reports of people being hounded off the public parts of the
beaches as they blocked the view for the restaurant customers. So I'm
not entirely surprised by the srength of the reactions in Nice Matin.

I've always understood that public access to beaches was guaranteed in
French law.
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"mikeos" wrote in message

I've always understood that public access to beaches was guaranteed in
French law.

There are public beaches, and there are privately-owned ones.

I like the private beaches on the Cote d'Azur and have often been on the one
mentioned in the Nice-Matin piece (Noga Plage).

It's a great shame - many of the beach operators in Cannes/Golfe Juan/Juan
Les Pins provide excellent service and a fun environment.

Ian

Old January 6th, 2010, 05:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Martin" wrote in message

... for the rich and for those on freebies.

You don't have to be rich to use private beaches - you just have to be on
holiday and not worrying about penny-pinching.

Ian

Old January 7th, 2010, 03:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Michael[_1_]

Ian F. wrote:
"mikeos" wrote in message

I've always understood that public access to beaches was guaranteed in
French law.

There are public beaches, and there are privately-owned ones.

I like the private beaches on the Cote d'Azur and have often been on the
one mentioned in the Nice-Matin piece (Noga Plage).

It's a great shame - many of the beach operators in Cannes/Golfe
Juan/Juan Les Pins provide excellent service and a fun environment.

Ian

I don't know the conditions for each individual beach, but generally the
restaurant owners have to leave a good distance between the tables and
the water for public use. The fact that many don't has been a constant
source of irritation for locals (and the less affluent).

However, it must be pointed out that there are very good stretches of
sandy beach just outside town on the coast road to Mandelieu that have
everything a family could need. But it's not quite the Criosette though.

http://cannes-or-bust.com/
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Michael" wrote in message

I don't know the conditions for each individual beach, but generally the
restaurant owners have to leave a good distance between the tables and the
water for public use. The fact that many don't has been a constant source
of irritation for locals (and the less affluent).

We tend to go to the beaches at Golfe Juan, where they are more reasonably
priced than - and almost as good as - the Croisette. There is plenty of
public beach space adjoining the private ones there, and both seem to exist
in harmony.

Ian