Whole bratwurst versus cut-up bratwurst

Old February 25th, 2010, 12:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Default Whole bratwurst versus cut-up bratwurst

Am Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:51:12 +0100 schrieb Tim C.:

On 25 Feb 2010 10:04:45 GMT, Erick T. Barkhuis wrote in post :
:

But apart from eating curries, is there anything else worthwhile
in Birmingham?

Endless hours of fun trying to understand what everyone is saying?

*g*

I remember going to a butcher buying some bacon, and the butcher said
something like "Aaar, de loovelay baicen!" :-)

Regards,

Frank
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_3_]

Default Birmingham (was: Whole bratwurst versus cut-up bratwurst)

Frank Hucklenbroich:

Am 25 Feb 2010 10:04:45 GMT schrieb Erick T. Barkhuis:

Actually, I would consider visiting Birmingham, since I've never
been there. But apart from eating curries, is there anything else
worthwhile in Birmingham?

Bull-Ring market ..
shopping, as prices are consideraby lower than in London...
lots of pubs ...
Chinatown ...
Then you have the Channels...
try some nice Jamaican food ...

For a long weekend it's well worth the visit. Go in spring or summer,
though.

Sounds like a nice list for a day or three. Enough destinies that
either the Mrs. or I don't like, so plenty of food for disagreement.
:-)

Thanks, Frank!
One more question: is everything closed on Sundays, or is Birmingham
one of those places that keeps shops open 24/7?

--
Erick
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
J'ai retrouvé mon chien...elle s'appelle runge

On Feb 25, 11:45*am, "Tim C." wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 01:56:44 -0800 (PST), george wrote in post :
:

On Feb 25, 10:02 am, "Tim C." wrote:
-----snipped-----------
Your being from Wisconsin, I can't believe your last statement. Good
Wisconsin Bratwurst can't be beat, especially if it is chunky. Try
finding a chunky Bratwurst in a restaurant in Germany, you'll starve
trying!

They're not supposed to be chunky. Doh!

I doubt if in Germany that they would be, as from watching cooking
programs it's interesting to see Germans homogenizing everything,
taking what might be a good chunky soup and turning it into baby
food. *The same for other things. *I did however see chunky bratwurst
advertised in food stores in Th ringen when we were there this summer,
but unfortunately, none of the restaurants served it. *So it appears
to me that other people may also prefer a chunky-style. *And to me,
chunky bratwurst is best, having grown up in the US eating and loving
it, not that over-homogenized stuff.

George

The bratwurst I know isn't that pulp they make a lot of stuff out of, but
I'd not describe it as chunky either.
--
Tim C. *

chunky....like puke ?
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:17:43 +0100, Frank Hucklenbroich wrote in post :
t :

"Aaar, de loovelay baicen!"

very convincing :-)
--
Tim C.
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Default Birmingham

Am 25 Feb 2010 12:28:23 GMT schrieb Erick T. Barkhuis:

Thanks, Frank!
One more question: is everything closed on Sundays, or is Birmingham
one of those places that keeps shops open 24/7?

It's been a while since I've been there, but I remember that at least the
small (usually Indian) corner shops open on Sundays. They sell anything for
your daily needs (food, drinks, papers, cigarettes, and so on).

I don't know about the big shops in the city, I think it depends on the
time of year (they open the Sundays before Christmas some other Sundays in
the year, but probably not every week).

Regards,

Frank
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Frank Hucklenbroich" wrote in message

I don't know about the big shops in the city, I think it depends on the
time of year (they open the Sundays before Christmas some other Sundays in
the year, but probably not every week).

I'm pretty sure you'll find that 99% of big stores in Birmingham (and
everywhere else in the UK) are open for at least six hours on Sundays.

See right-hand panel here http://www.bullring.co.uk/website/

Ian

Old February 25th, 2010, 05:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Erick T. Barkhuis" wrote in message
William Black:

"Erick T. Barkhuis" wrote in message

By "Curry sauce", I don't usually think of the ketchup sauce that
comes with currywurst immediately. Rather, I picture yellowish
sauce (curry, coconut, pineapple) that comes with chicken.

Consider spending a day on the Soho Road in Birmingham.
It has the best Indian food, outside India, that I've ever tasted.

[...and we're back on-topic again!]

Actually, I would consider visiting Birmingham, since I've never been
there. But apart from eating curries, is there anything else worthwhile
in Birmingham?
We like to visit towns and cities for the athmosphere, the shopping,
the 'secret places' (back gardens, hidden pubs, quaint small town
parks, small unknown churches, etc.). We're not running from one museum
to the next and don't really care for night entertainment.

Birmingham's not really a tourist centre but it has good shopping at much
lower prices than London in the 'Markets area', a Jewellery Quarter that
almost defies the imagination if you like jewellery.

Like most UK provincial cities over a certain size it has a first class
museums and art galleries.

If you're into nightlife then an evening on Broad Street is a must.

It was very safe the last time I was there and if you stay at somewhere like
Jurys Inn on Broad Street (where I stayed last time I was there) you're
right in the middle of the city and it has reasonably priced secure
parking.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 25th, 2010, 05:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Frank Hucklenbroich" wrote in message
.. .
Am Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:26:01 +0530 schrieb William Black:

"Erick T. Barkhuis" wrote in message

By "Curry sauce", I don't usually think of the ketchup sauce that comes
with currywurst immediately. Rather, I picture yellowish sauce (curry,
coconut, pineapple) that comes with chicken.

Consider spending a day on the Soho Road in Birmingham.

It has the best Indian food, outside India, that I've ever tasted.

Ist that the part where they have all the small mum-and-dad
Indian-restaurants? I remember visiting one, somewhere near Handsworth
(not
exactly a nice area). It was funny looking in the kitchen, where they were
actually cooking the food on some gas-cookers, the kind of like my
grandmother would have used 50 years ago.

I also remember that some of them where not licenced for alcohol, so
guests
would bring their own six-pack of beer in to have with the curry (they
would probably charge a little bit extra for that).

Very nice food, though.

That sounds a bit like 'curry gulch' where the food is tailored for English
tastes, which is usually 'too much meat, simple sauces with only a dozen
spices in them (If you're lucky, if you're unlucky you'll get Pataks tinned
sauce), they'll serve roti and rice together, samosa as a starter and
Vindaloo with potato and tomato in it' all without laughing at you.

I'm talking about the places the local Indian middle classes go to eat out.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 25th, 2010, 05:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article
,
george wrote:

On Feb 24, 6:32*pm, erilar wrote:
In article

-----snipped-------

"Bratwurst = roasted sausage in Germany. It can be totally different
between restaurants in the same city, and it's usually better than
most
"Bratwurst" in the US 8-)"

Bratwurst means more than roasted sausage. It is a particular type of
sausage that is usually roasted. If I go up to a sausage stand and
order a Bratwurst I expect that type of sausage, and it will be what
I'm served, not a Rot (red- like a very good American hotdog) or some
other type that they may also have on the grill.

I guess I assumed the OP could spot one of those as different 8-)

Your being from Wisconsin, I can't believe your last statement. Good
Wisconsin Bratwurst can't be beat, especially if it is chunky. Try
finding a chunky Bratwurst in a restaurant in Germany, you'll starve
trying!

The trick is finding a small butcher shop that makes their own. I
once taught in a town with an actual German butcher. I was in sausage
heaven 8-) Then in a heavily Polish-ancestry town I found great sausage
again. But what's in a grocery store, while some of it is decent,
suffers by comparison 8-)

If you are going to be in Stuttgart, drop me a line.

Actually, I will be, but only between trains. Since my plane gets in
somewhere around dawn and the first place I'm staying is on the Neckar,
I'm wondering whether I could get together with some friends who live
not all THAT far from there for a couple hours between trains. I
really need to write. . .

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.mosaictelecom.com/~erilarlo
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article
,
george wrote:

On Feb 25, 9:36*am, george wrote:
On Feb 24, 6:32*pm, erilar wrote: In article

I'll add one more comment about Bratwurst. After Christmas we stayed
in Hohenschwangau in Bavaria, and the wild boar Bratwurst was just
excellent, some of the best Bratwurst I've ever had!!!!!

oooooo sounds delicious!