Lomdon in August

Old February 10th, 2010, 04:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

Default Lomdon in August

In several countries in Europe (Italy and France, for example), August
is a poor month to visit because many people are on vacation and many
places like restaurants are therefore closed. What about England
(London in particular)? Is the same true there?

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David[_16_]

"Ken Blake" wrote in message
news
In several countries in Europe (Italy and France, for example), August
is a poor month to visit because many people are on vacation and many
places like restaurants are therefore closed. What about England
(London in particular)? Is the same true there?

No I do not think you will find places closed due to the summer month.
Mid July/August is when the schools have the 6 weeks holiday so people with
children will holiday at this time. Many of the rest of us when possible
try to holiday out side of this to avoid lots of other peoples children.
Regards
David

Old February 10th, 2010, 05:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Ken Blake" wrote in message
news
In several countries in Europe (Italy and France, for example), August
is a poor month to visit because many people are on vacation and many
places like restaurants are therefore closed. What about England
(London in particular)? Is the same true there?

Everywhere but the schools will be open as normal.

But it is during the school long summer break and every tourist site will be
swarming with school kids.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 10th, 2010, 07:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_5_]

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:00:16 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

In several countries in Europe (Italy and France, for example), August
is a poor month to visit because many people are on vacation and many
places like restaurants are therefore closed. What about England
(London in particular)? Is the same true there?

The only concern I would have is the heat. I don't think they have
real great air conditioning.

Cathy L
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:32:33 +0530, "William Black"
wrote:

"Ken Blake" wrote in message
news
In several countries in Europe (Italy and France, for example), August
is a poor month to visit because many people are on vacation and many
places like restaurants are therefore closed. What about England
(London in particular)? Is the same true there?

Everywhere but the schools will be open as normal.

But it is during the school long summer break and every tourist site will be
swarming with school kids.

Thanks--to you and to the others who answered.

Old February 10th, 2010, 09:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"William Black" wrote in message

"Ken Blake" wrote in message
news
In several countries in Europe (Italy and France, for example), August
is a poor month to visit because many people are on vacation and many
places like restaurants are therefore closed. What about England
(London in particular)? Is the same true there?

Everywhere but the schools will be open as normal.

But it is during the school long summer break and every tourist site will
be swarming with school kids.

As will nearly every tourist attraction in the Northern Hemisphere

tim

Old February 10th, 2010, 10:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_202_]

Martin wrote:

wrote:

In several countries in Europe (Italy and France, for example),
August is a poor month to visit because many people are on vacation
and many places like restaurants are therefore closed. What about
England (London in particular)? Is the same true there?

The only concern I would have is the heat. I don't think they have
real great air conditioning.

We did warn you about the primitive bathrooms on coaches.

She could holiday in the Dolomites or on Mt. Blanc...

--
Best
Greg

Old February 10th, 2010, 11:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_5_]

wrote:

In several countries in Europe (Italy and France, for example), August
is a poor month to visit because many people are on vacation and many
places like restaurants are therefore closed. What about England
(London in particular)? Is the same true there?

The only concern I would have is the heat. I don't think they have
real great air conditioning.

We did warn you about the primitive bathrooms on coaches.

I had the misfortune to visit London in August 2009. It was Brass Monkey
weather.
--
JohnT
Old February 11th, 2010, 05:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

wrote:

In several countries in Europe (Italy and France, for example), August
is a poor month to visit because many people are on vacation and many
places like restaurants are therefore closed. What about England
(London in particular)? Is the same true there?

The only concern I would have is the heat. I don't think they have
real great air conditioning.

We don't have terribly hot heat either, so it isn't a problem.

I wanted air conditioning on exactly one day last summer...

I managed without it.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 11th, 2010, 01:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bartc

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:17:58 +0100, Giovanni Drogo
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Martin wrote:

I've had holidays in Paris, Rome and Venice in August without finding
restaurants closed.

All major tourist goals. Ever tried Milan in August ?

Or anywhere on 15th August..

Frequently at one time. I didn't starve. )

I paid a few hundred lira extra for air conditioning in the Arco Belino
Hotel
across the road from Laben.

I found inadequate ventilation and cooling in office buildings a far
greater
problem both in Italy and France.

Italy can be hot in summer... that's part of the fun. I remember
temperatures of 40C both outside and inside my car (and up to 60C when
parked...), and up to 50C once in my tent.

But I agree if you're wearing a suit and have to work in an office all day,
then you might have a different opinion...

--
Bartc