Sunny climate Holiday question.

Old July 6th, 2010, 01:04 PM posted to uk.people.silversurfers,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,misc.consumers.frugal-living
john hamilton[_2_]

Default Sunny climate Holiday question.

Whats the most reasonably priced and easily arranged (i.e. frequent cheap
flights and easy transport at the destination end) weeks holiday break at
the sea side, in Spain or similar nearby country; for an elderly couple
living in the London area? Thanks for advice.

Old July 6th, 2010, 01:47 PM posted to uk.people.silversurfers,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,misc.consumers.frugal-living
AndyS

On Jul 6, 7:04 am, "john hamilton" wrote:
Whats the most reasonably priced and easily arranged (i.e. frequent cheap
flights and easy transport at the destination end) weeks holiday break at
the sea side, in Spain or similar nearby country; for an elderly couple
living in the London area? Thanks for advice.

Andy comments:

I would reccomment St Laurent du Var, on the French
mediterranean...

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Old July 6th, 2010, 02:19 PM posted to uk.people.silversurfers,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Jan[_1_]

Firstly I'd work out which of the London Airports they want to fly from,
then look online at possible destinations.
Do they want to book each part independently or take a package? If it's a
package then get your travel agent to do the research.

Jan

Old July 6th, 2010, 07:20 PM posted to uk.people.silversurfers,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,misc.consumers.frugal-living
tim....

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Whats the most reasonably priced and easily arranged (i.e. frequent cheap
flights and easy transport at the destination end) weeks holiday break at
the sea side, in Spain or similar nearby country; for an elderly couple
living in the London area? Thanks for advice.

The easiest has to be flying to Malaga and staying at one of the resorts on
the local train service between there and Fuengirola but these are not the
prettiest of resorts.

A nicer idea is to fly to Faro and use the local train to one of the
resorts. But here you have to catch a bus or take a taxi from the airport
to Faro station (you can get a taxi all the way but it isn't going to be
cheap). It is possible to stay in Faro, but as it's behind the lagoon it
doesn't really have a beach that you can walk to, but then you can use the
bus/train to get along the coast. (I can recommend the Hotel Faro for it's
central location near the bus/train station - don't book the Ibis it's miles
from anywhere that you would want to get to.)

Both airport have lots of Easyjet services from more than one of the London
airports

tim

Old July 6th, 2010, 09:10 PM posted to uk.people.silversurfers,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Derek F[_2_]

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Whats the most reasonably priced and easily arranged (i.e. frequent cheap
flights and easy transport at the destination end) weeks holiday break at
the sea side, in Spain or similar nearby country; for an elderly couple
living in the London area? Thanks for advice.

How elderly? Fit eldery? Savvy elderly?
Malaga airport has a good train service to local resorts.The area though is
full of scammers and pickpockets.
Lagos and Tavira have excellent reasonablt priced 4&5 star hotels and can be
reached by train from Faro.
Estoril might be an option if they want a quiet place. Easy Jet fly to
Lisbon. Bus from airport to station and thirty minutes to Estoril on trains
that are now very safe with security guards and police on all trains.
Malta might be an option and has good bus services around the island.
Derek.

eviera

Old July 6th, 2010, 10:20 PM posted to uk.people.silversurfers,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,misc.consumers.frugal-living
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

tim.... wrote:

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Whats the most reasonably priced and easily arranged (i.e. frequent cheap
flights and easy transport at the destination end) weeks holiday break at
the sea side, in Spain or similar nearby country; for an elderly couple
living in the London area? Thanks for advice.

The easiest has to be flying to Malaga and staying at one of the resorts on
the local train service between there and Fuengirola but these are not the
prettiest of resorts.

Barcelona has resorts easily accessible by train (and also bus) too.
Pretty easy to take the bus from Malaga to other resorts- e.g. Nerja.

I generally find it slightly easier to get cheaper flights to Barcelona
than Malaga but YMMV.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:41 AM posted to uk.people.silversurfers,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Derek F wrote:

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Whats the most reasonably priced and easily arranged (i.e. frequent cheap
flights and easy transport at the destination end) weeks holiday break at
the sea side, in Spain or similar nearby country; for an elderly couple
living in the London area? Thanks for advice.

How elderly? Fit eldery? Savvy elderly?
Malaga airport has a good train service to local resorts.The area though is
full of scammers and pickpockets.

I forgot to lock the locker in Malaga train station a few years ago
(yes, idiotic I know!) and when I got back a few hours later, it was all
there intact.

Old July 7th, 2010, 11:28 AM posted to uk.people.silversurfers,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,misc.consumers.frugal-living
james[_4_]

In message , PetrolHead
writes
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 00:11:04 +0100, Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

As a city destination (it doesn't have much seaside) Barcelona itself
makes a lot of sense for an elderly couple, as its public transport
system is very easy to use.

Barcelona certainly isn't a beach resort type place, which I think is
what's looked for here.

Plaja D'aro is. A mere 150e cab fare from Gerona airport and
plenty of nice hotels along the paseo de maritimo. JF
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:50 AM posted to uk.people.silversurfers,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,misc.consumers.frugal-living

james wrote:

In message , PetrolHead
writes
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 00:11:04 +0100, Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

As a city destination (it doesn't have much seaside) Barcelona itself
makes a lot of sense for an elderly couple, as its public transport
system is very easy to use.

Barcelona certainly isn't a beach resort type place, which I think is
what's looked for here.

Plaja D'aro is. A mere 150e cab fare from Gerona airport and
plenty of nice hotels along the paseo de maritimo. JF

Didn't you mean 15 euro?

Old July 8th, 2010, 11:27 PM posted to uk.people.silversurfers,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Derek F[_2_]

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
Derek F wrote:

[...]

I used to use the two coach train service from Wimbledon to West Croydon. It
quite often did not run because of flooding n the line. We arrived at Malaga
after a thunderstorm and the two coach train was not running to Malaga due
to flooding.
Derek