How to Avoid Pickpockets

Old July 24th, 2010, 04:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
Anonymouse[_5_]

Default How to Avoid Pickpockets

Hi,

I use an inside the shirt passport big money pouch for credit/debit
cards, big money, passport, stripped airline tickets.

I have a cloth money-belt that looks just like a USGI Navy Blue belt
that I put 1000$ in emergency cash in just in case.

no wallet.

casual money (food, drinks, admissions, etc) in 1 pocket and more
serious money in other pocket.

and on my day bag with camera, maps, etc in it I put a safety pin
through the pulls just to make it harder to dip into.

ttyl

hackamore
http://www.hackamoretravel.com
Old July 24th, 2010, 07:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
billzz

On Jul 23, 8:55*pm, Anonymouse wrote:
Hi,

I use an inside the shirt passport big money pouch for credit/debit
cards, big money, passport, stripped airline tickets.

I have a cloth money-belt that looks just like a USGI Navy Blue belt
that I put 1000$ in emergency cash in just in case.

no wallet.

casual money (food, drinks, admissions, etc) in 1 pocket and more
serious money in other pocket.

and on my day bag with camera, maps, etc in it I put a safety pin
through the pulls just to make it harder to dip into.

ttyl

hackamorehttp://www.hackamoretravel.com

I am guessing that this is some advertisement.

The real answer is to not look like a tourist.

Wear a Burberry trench coat that has so many pockets that no one would
have any chance of finding anything.

Look like a Mafia hit man and not a schnook.

Unlike my chorus director, who went to Paris, and the guy in front of
him "tripped," on the Paris Metro escalator (whatever) and he fell,
and the guy behind him fell on him, and when he got up his wallet was
missing.

I've been to Paris a few times, before and after my innocent chorus
director, and I never go anywhere with anyone around me. If I even
see anyone heading for the ramp, with me, then I circle around. And
if anyone were to fall in front of me, in the Paris Metro, I would
stomp all over them, and I would get away.

The real answer is to keep distance.
Old July 24th, 2010, 09:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
martin

On 24/07/10 08:41, billzz wrote:
[...]

Avoid behaving and looking like an American tourist.
Old July 24th, 2010, 12:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Martin" wrote in message

Avoid behaving and looking like an American tourist.

Absolutely. Why do Americans feel they have to advertise what they have with
them - camera bags, money belts, bum-bags (AKA fanny-packs), manbags...I
just stick cash and cards in my trousers pockets!

Ian

Old July 24th, 2010, 12:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos[_2_]

24.7.2010 14:46, Ian F. kirjoitti:
"Martin" wrote in message

Avoid behaving and looking like an American tourist.

Absolutely. Why do Americans feel they have to advertise what they have
with them - camera bags, money belts, bum-bags (AKA fanny-packs),
manbags...I just stick cash and cards in my trousers pockets!

Advertise? I have never met such an American. I would say that typically
Oriental tourists have more gadget around their necks than their
American colleagues.

Old July 24th, 2010, 01:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
martin

On 24/07/10 13:46, Ian F. wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message

Avoid behaving and looking like an American tourist.

Absolutely. Why do Americans feel they have to advertise what they have
with them - camera bags, money belts, bum-bags (AKA fanny-packs),
manbags...I just stick cash and cards in my trousers pockets!

Without Americans, the pick pockets would have to pick the pockets of us
locals )
Old July 24th, 2010, 01:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
martin

"Martin" wrote in message

Avoid behaving and looking like an American tourist.

Absolutely. Why do Americans feel they have to advertise what they have
with them - camera bags, money belts, bum-bags (AKA fanny-packs),
manbags...I just stick cash and cards in my trousers pockets!

Advertise? I have never met such an American. I would say that typically
Oriental tourists have more gadget around their necks than their
American colleagues.

who have more gadget around their necks than the locals.

Old July 24th, 2010, 04:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
RsH

I buy and use Tilley Endurable pants [long leg or shorts] and have a
Tilley Gardener's Hat. The pants have an interior velcro closed pocket
inside one of the pockets, into which money and passports, etcetera,
go. The hat also has a pocket inside it that is velcro closed that can
be used for something light in weight. Not cheap, but they last
forever. Great guaranty as well.

http://www.tilley.com/

http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?cat...productNo=UL21
is a pair of shorts with lots of pockets.

http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?cat...productNo=TE22
are the shorts I own.

http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?cat...productNo=TE25
are the pants I own, several pairs of them...

They even have a list of how to avoid pickpockets suggestions at:
http://www.tilley.com/stories/pickpockets.asp

FWIW
RsH
Old July 24th, 2010, 05:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 7/24/2010 11:40 AM, RsH wrote:
I buy and use Tilley Endurable pants [long leg or shorts] and have a
Tilley Gardener's Hat. The pants have an interior velcro closed pocket
inside one of the pockets, into which money and passports, etcetera,
go. The hat also has a pocket inside it that is velcro closed that can
be used for something light in weight. Not cheap, but they last
forever. Great guaranty as well.

Or you could simply add velcro to the pockets of clothing you already own...