Transportation option from London City Airport to Regents Park.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 04:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
PeterL

Default Transportation option from London City Airport to Regents Park.

We'll be arriving London City Airport at 9 pm. What's the easiest
option for transportation to the Marriott Hotel Regents Park on 128
King Henry's Rd? We probably don't want to deal with buses or
lightrails or trains. How about a shuttle? What would taxi fare be
for that distance?

TIA.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 05:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Cain

If we is two you may be able to book a "shuttle for £50.

I would think the 14 mi or so by London Taxi would be PRICELESS.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
Ian F.

"PeterL" wrote in message

We'll be arriving London City Airport at 9 pm. What's the easiest
option for transportation to the Marriott Hotel Regents Park on 128
King Henry's Rd? We probably don't want to deal with buses or
lightrails or trains. How about a shuttle? What would taxi fare be
for that distance?

Have added uk.transport.london where there are at least two cab drivers who
can give you an idea of the fare.

Ian

Old August 22nd, 2010, 07:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
Neil Williams[_2_]

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 18:27:03 +0100, "Ian F."
wrote:

We'll be arriving London City Airport at 9 pm. What's the easiest
option for transportation to the Marriott Hotel Regents Park on 128
King Henry's Rd? We probably don't want to deal with buses or
lightrails or trains. How about a shuttle? What would taxi fare be
for that distance?

Have added uk.transport.london where there are at least two cab drivers who
can give you an idea of the fare.

Don't know the taxi fare, but your options are basically public
transport or taxi - I'm not aware of any US-style shuttles - it was
tried but was a failure, probably because of London's traffic.

Assuming you don't have lots of luggage I would abandon the "don't
want to deal with buses, lightrails or trains", take the DLR to
Canning Town then the Jubilee Line to Swiss Cottage which is the
nearest Tube station (it's nowhere near Regent's Park station). It's
not overly complicated (though it will require one change - just a
quick walk downstairs) and it'll cost four quid each (or less with an
Oyster card if you have one).

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
PeterL

wrote:
"PeterL" wrote in message

We'll be arriving London City Airport at 9 pm. *What's the easiest
option for transportation to the Marriott Hotel Regents Park on 128
King Henry's Rd? *We probably don't want to deal with buses or
lightrails or trains. *How about a shuttle? *What would taxi fare be
for that distance?

Have added uk.transport.london where there are at least two cab drivers who
can give you an idea of the fare.

The hotel's own site gives details including taxi fares.

http://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/fac...p-london-marri...

That took a nanosecond of googling.

The public transport journey is actually pretty easy - Docklands Light
Railway service to Canning Town, Jubilee Line to Swiss Cottage and a
shortish walk to the hotel.

If you're laden with luggage then I can understand the reluctance but
given the distance being covered, one change between lines is very
convenient. There are escalators and lifts at LCA station and Canning
Town but Swiss Cottage has steps out to the street from the ticket hall
so a tad less convenient there.

HTH

--
Paul C

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes I have gone to the hotel's web
site, just interested in second opinions. We'll have two mid sized
suite cases. But due to the late hours and unfamiliarity, a taxi is
preferred to light rail.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
Mike Hughes[_2_]

In message , Ian F.
writes
"PeterL" wrote in message

We'll be arriving London City Airport at 9 pm. What's the easiest
option for transportation to the Marriott Hotel Regents Park on 128
King Henry's Rd? We probably don't want to deal with buses or
lightrails or trains. How about a shuttle? What would taxi fare be
for that distance?

Have added uk.transport.london where there are at least two cab drivers
who can give you an idea of the fare.

Ian

That'll be me then.

Welcome to London. You can get a London taxi directly outside the
terminal at City Airport. Make sure that you are not 'touted' on your
way out as you will not be insured in anything except a taxi. London
taxis are unique in shape and are easy to distinguish. They are known as
'black taxis' although they come in different colours these days. There
are some Mercedes Vito vehicles licensed as taxis; the main thing is to
look for the licence plate at the back and the meter inside - no plate,
no meter it's not a taxi.

The fare will be on the meter. It will vary depending upon traffic
conditions but after 9 p.m. there should not be too many delays. Expect
to pay somewhere in the region of £40.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England
Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message
, at
19:13:45 on Sun, 22 Aug 2010, PeterL remarked:
But due to the late hours and unfamiliarity, a taxi is
preferred to light rail.

9pm isn't late for London - especially as you'll get out of City airport
very quickly.

This site estimates the taxi fare at £40:

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/london

Although what they really want to do is have you pre-book what we call a
"minicab", which probably isn't recommended for someone in your
circumstances.
--
Roland Perry
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
Neil Williams

On Aug 23, 3:13*am, PeterL wrote:

Thanks everyone for the replies. *Yes I have gone to the hotel's web
site, just interested in second opinions. *We'll have two mid sized
suite cases. *But due to the late hours and unfamiliarity, a taxi is
preferred to light rail.

It's not particularly late for London transport - everything will
still be running to decent frequencies at that sort of time (it won't
take you long to get out of London City Airport - you should easily
manage plane seat to exit in 20 minutes, particularly if not checking
luggage). And the journey is *really* easy - out of the airport, turn
right, get tickets then up the escalator to the DLR, get off at
Canning Town, walk downstairs (or use the escalator), take the Jubilee
Line towards Stanmore, get off at Swiss Cottage. You might want to
print a map off Google for the last bit but it isn't at all far.

Neil
Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
Robin

you should easily
manage plane seat to exit in 20 minutes, particularly if not checking
luggage)

I've not used London City recently (and am a UK national). The OP
appeared to be posting from the USA and I don't think has given
nationalities. So possibly a bit more than 20 minutes if arriving from
outside the UK and hits a queue for immigration?
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com