Car rental tip for Miami cruisers

Old February 10th, 2004, 01:26 PM
ArleneL

Default Car rental tip for Miami cruisers

Kuki, Enterprise has never allowed a one way rental. Have they changed their
policy (i.e. picking up at airport and dropping at hotel)?

Arlene

kuki wrote:

Cruisers sailing of Miami used to have it pretty easy, with an Avis car
rental located almost right next to the Royal Caribbean pier.
A couple of years back, for some reason, they closed that location, and I
know many people are renting at the airport, then returning to the airport,
and getting shuttled back to the ship.

This trip we stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel (through Priceline, for
$85), and went to the concierge to see about car rentals. We were able to
get an excellent rate from Enterprise, who has an outlet about 2 blocks from
the hotel.

On boarding day we were able to leave our rental car at the hotel for
Enterprise to pick up, at no extra charge.

Upon returning to Miami we had an entire day to kill before our flights, and
called the same Enterprise outlet, who sent a van to pick us up, There were
6 of us, plus alot of luggage, so the courtesy van took 2 and all the
luggage, and 4 of us took a taxi,

Enterprise reimbursed us for the $10 taxi fare. From there due to earlier
flights of one couple, with us rented a car and the other 4 of us,a van.

Then later in the day, when we returned the van to the Enterprise airport
rental location, they simply drove us to the airport in the van, so we
didn't have to unload the luggage and reload into a shuttle bus.

At the airport the fellow that drove us over refused a tip for his services,
saying that it is their job, and they don't accept tips.
GREAT service, and saved us all kinds of time running back and forth to the
airport rental locations.

Next time, I'll simply pick up the rental at the airport location, and
arrange to drop it at the downtown location or hotel ahead of time.

This is all much easier than taking the shuttle back and forth, and almost
as convenient as the old Avis location used to be.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
http://www.cruisemates.com

Old February 10th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Juliana L Holm

I know that the car companies allow pickup at Ft. Lauderdale airport and drop
off at Miami. Perhaps it is not considered one way if it is in the same
metropolitan area?

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old February 10th, 2004, 03:35 PM
ArleneL

Yes Julie, but not Enterprise. They're the only major company that doesn't/didn't
allow for this. I live in Florida and often do one way driving to Miami.

Arlene

Old February 11th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Tobie Gerbrandt

By the way Arlene, we missed you on the cruise. Trivia was tough.

We rented from Budget after the GGC at FLL and dropped the car off at
Orlando International. I understand they have no drop charges anywhere in
Florida.

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

Old February 11th, 2004, 11:03 PM
ArleneL

Tobie Gerbrandt wrote:

By the way Arlene, we missed you on the cruise. Trivia was tough.

So does that mean you won everything without me in the competition? LOL

We rented from Budget after the GGC at FLL and dropped the car off at
Orlando International. I understand they have no drop charges anywhere in
Florida.

I agree. I've never known any of the biggies to charge xtra for dropoffs
within the state of Florida. But Enterprise doesn't allow one way drops at
all. Unless of course they've changed their policies and didn't tell me. VBG

Arlene