On the Road (Sea) Again! ;-)

Old February 25th, 2006, 05:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default On the Road (Sea) Again! ;-)

In article , Jean
O'Boyle wrote:

I realize that, Charles and I prefer the size of the Mercury..didn't you
recommend this ship to me, or was it Ben? I think it was when I was
disappointed with the Zenith...Anyway I've been reading some very favorable
reports about the Mercury lately so I hope that I am not disappointed.

I think it is a great deal but I did had in mind your disapointment
with the Zenith. The Century class does have more amenities than Zenith
but less than the Infinity. My favorite Century class ship is the
Galaxy.

--
Charles
Old February 25th, 2006, 05:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Warren" wrote in message
oups.com...
Even if you were hanging around San Diego, the chances are nill even
though I'll be in California for the weekend. Mercury moves to Ensenada
as soon as debarkation of your cruise finishes. Embarkation for my
cruise is in Mexico thanks to our archaic laws. My cruise ends in
Seattle. I won't be meeting up with my bus transfer at the airport
until 1pm.

What a bummer! Having to board in Ensenada is no fun from what I have heard!
They should just let you board in San Diego, go to Ensenada and then
continue on with your cruise! So what other ports will you visit before
Seattle?

--Jean

Old February 25th, 2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Jean
O'Boyle wrote:

I think it is a great deal but I did had in mind your disapointment
with the Zenith. The Century class does have more amenities than Zenith
but less than the Infinity. My favorite Century class ship is the
Galaxy.

Then I will have tried all three classes after this cruise, Charles...Maybe
this will be the *in between* class of ship that will win me over to
Celebrity! ;-) What did you prefer in the Galaxy over the Mercury?
Does anyone on here know just when the Mercury goes into dry-dock?

--Jean

Old February 25th, 2006, 06:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Jean O'Boyle wrote:
So what other ports will you visit before Seattle?

San Francisco, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Hubbbard Glacier, Prince
Rupert, plus a day north and south each Inside Passage, and some sea
days northbound from Ensenada and San Francisco. 11 nights total.

Warren

Old February 25th, 2006, 06:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Warren" wrote in message
oups.com...
San Francisco, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Hubbbard Glacier, Prince
Rupert, plus a day north and south each Inside Passage, and some sea
days northbound from Ensenada and San Francisco. 11 nights total.

Way to go! That's a nice itinerary.
Have a great time!

--Jean

Old February 25th, 2006, 06:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article , Jean
O'Boyle wrote:

What did you prefer in the Galaxy over the Mercury?

The decor and artwork are warmer on Galaxy than on Mercury. Also the
Mercury cruise was almost ten years ago, the cruise line was for sale
and that might have affected the cruise. I might have a different
opinion cruising Mercury now as my whole opinion of Celebrity has
improved a great deal. I'll posit this, there was the Celebrity before
it was bought by RCI which some brag about. I don't think that is the
cruise line I cruised on though the cruise was just before the RCI
takeover. When I cruised on Mercury I was not that impressed by
Celebrity. I call that era the Celebrity when it was being sold and a
few years after it was sold. Then there is the current Celebrity. I
think a lot of improvements in the last few years and I am now
favorably impressed with Celebrity. It is now on my A list. I'd book
Mercury agian if the right cruise came up.

--
Charles
Old February 25th, 2006, 08:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Charles wrote:
[...]

Jean, we've been on both the Galaxy and the Mercury, although the order
is the opposite of Charles'. We did the Galaxy in January of 2000 (S
Carib) and the Mercury two years ago, in April 2004 (California Coastal).

The Galaxy feels a little more luxurious, perhaps, but the Mercury seems
a little hipper and funkier, especially on the Promenade deck, with the
Martini Bar and Rendezvous Square. (LOVE the Martini Bar!)

Both restaurants are beautiful, but I probably favor the Orion on Galaxy
over the Manhattan on the Merc...it feels a little more expansive,
probably because of the lighter color scheme.

As you'd expect, we had wonderful service on both ships. Looking them
over, I wouldn't hesistate to go on either again. We love the Mex Riv
itinerary, and adding Acapulco and Ixtapa is excellent.

Can't wait to hear your impressions when you return. Have a GREAT time!

~ Peri
Old February 25th, 2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

ANSWERED INLINE:

"Peri" wrote in message
The Galaxy feels a little more luxurious, perhaps, but the Mercury seems a
little hipper and funkier, especially on the Promenade deck, with the
Martini Bar and Rendezvous Square. (LOVE the Martini Bar!)

Hippy and funky is good! I'm curious now to see what you consider hippy and
funky! LOL!

Both restaurants are beautiful, but I probably favor the Orion on Galaxy
over the Manhattan on the Merc...it feels a little more expansive,
probably because of the lighter color scheme.

I like the colors of the Manhattan Restaurant in the photos that I have
found on it..Red being one of my favorite colors, I guess.
But with all the nice things that you and Charles are saying about the
Galaxy, I hope to be able to take her one day! ;-)

As you'd expect, we had wonderful service on both ships. Looking them
over, I wouldn't hesistate to go on either again. We love the Mex Riv
itinerary, and adding Acapulco and Ixtapa is excellent.

The additional Mexican ports are a perk to me on this itinerary as we have
only visited Mazatlan and Acapulco on a previous
cruise in that area.

Can't wait to hear your impressions when you return. Have a GREAT time!

Thank you, Peri..I'll be sure to let my impressions be known..You know me!!

--Jean

~ Peri

Old February 25th, 2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
om...

"Tom" wrote in message
. ..
Jean
That cruise sounds exciting. We will try a Mexican Riviera some day. We
really want to see Cabo.
Have a great cruise!!

Thanks, Tom,
Many years ago, we did a cruise on the Elation leaving FLL and going
through the Panama Canal and on to Mazatlan and Acapulco, but it did not
include Cabo San Lucas, so I am really looking forward to seeing it..
I see you are checking into cabs in FLL after a cruise..Are you leaving
soon?
Thanks for the good wishes and the very same back at you!

Jean... next I gotta work on convincing you to try Connie up to the
Norwegian Fjords, Copenhagen, Le Havre, Edinburgh and Ireland.

Now that Celebrity's in the bag... Norway is the next goal.

We need somebody who's done both Norway and Alaska to give us a comparison.

--Tom

Old February 26th, 2006, 02:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Surfer E2468" wrote in message
JEAN:
We leave march 30th and fly to cinncinnati,connect there and fly to
honolulu,cruise the islands 4/1/06 for 5 days then sail back to
ensenada,and then to san diego,we will get back home at 2 am the 13th of
april.e are on ncl wind
surfer e2468

That's great, Annie! Be sure and write a review on the NCL Wind.
Have a wonderful and safe time.... Freestyle Dining is very nice for a
change...also the freedom of whether or not to attend formal nights. That is
why I enjoy different cruise lines and different ships!

--Jean