Ft. Lauderdale - calling a cab after your cruise

Old February 25th, 2006, 05:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Ft. Lauderdale - calling a cab after your cruise

Has anyone called a cab from a ship debarking in Ft. Lauderdale to take them
to the airport? How long does it take for a cab to pick you up and get you
to the airport? I was looking at a 10:40AM flight out of FLL airport. This
would be for 6 people. Any price ideas?
Thanks

Tom
Pittsburgh Pa

Old February 25th, 2006, 05:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Tom wrote:
Has anyone called a cab from a ship debarking in Ft. Lauderdale to take them
to the airport? How long does it take for a cab to pick you up and get you
to the airport? I was looking at a 10:40AM flight out of FLL airport. This
would be for 6 people. Any price ideas?
Thanks

Tom
Pittsburgh Pa

There are cabs lined up all over the place after the cruise. If you have
an early flight make sure the cruiseline is aware of this so you can be
one of the first off the ship. It's a madhouse when getting off the
ship. We always gather our luggage, grab a porter, and he gets us a cab.
Much easier then trying to get one on your own unless you're very
aggressive.

Bill

--
Visit my Caribbean Princess website:
www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com
Old February 25th, 2006, 11:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article , Tom
wrote:

Has anyone called a cab from a ship debarking in Ft. Lauderdale to take them
to the airport? How long does it take for a cab to pick you up and get you
to the airport? I was looking at a 10:40AM flight out of FLL airport. This
would be for 6 people. Any price ideas?
Thanks

Cabs will be lined up when you get off the ship. You will have to get
two cabs for six people. It should be about $10 per cab. The airport is
close but an 10:40 am flight is too early. You don't start getting off
at the time shown as the ship arrival time. The ship has to clear
customs and no one can get off until then. Everyone goes through
imigration and it takes time to get luggage off the ship and pick it
up. And you will need time at the airport to go through security. Book
a later flight.

--
Charles
Old February 25th, 2006, 12:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 00:36:52 -0500, "Tom"
wrote:

Has anyone called a cab from a ship debarking in Ft. Lauderdale to take them
to the airport? How long does it take for a cab to pick you up and get you
to the airport? I was looking at a 10:40AM flight out of FLL airport. This
would be for 6 people. Any price ideas?
Thanks

Tom
Pittsburgh Pa

Make sure the cruiselines know what time your flight is so youcan get
off in time.

Grab your luggage and head outside where there will be plenty of cabs
lined up ready to go.
Old February 25th, 2006, 01:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Duck ) writes:

Has anyone called a cab from a ship debarking in Ft. Lauderdale to take them
to the airport?

Grab your luggage and head outside where there will be plenty of cabs
lined up ready to go.

This may be true Monday through Friday, but not so on
weekends. With six other giant ships in at the same
time, cabs can be scarce.

Old February 25th, 2006, 02:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Tom... one never knows FOR SURE...

I was on a cruise earlier this month that was from FLL... when I came out of
the door I asked for transportation to the airport and got right onto a 12
pax van that had a trailer in back for luggage. $7. Reasonable since there
was just one of me. There were people arriving at the airport about the same
time who were taking flights about 10:30, but I wouldn't want to count on
it.

Last time I was with someone else, and I think we paid $12 for a cab, a
dispatcher with a walkie talkie called them for us, we had a real time
consideration that day. The ship had been very much delayed being cleared
and we had a 10:20 fight. We got to the gate in time, the flight was late
taking off anyway.

Marsha

Old February 25th, 2006, 02:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Tom wrote:
Has anyone called a cab from a ship debarking in Ft. Lauderdale to take them
to the airport? How long does it take for a cab to pick you up and get you
to the airport? I was looking at a 10:40AM flight out of FLL airport. This
would be for 6 people. Any price ideas?

We just came back on Feb. 12th and had no problem getting a cab. We
got a porter to help with our luggage and he took us outside and got a
cab for us. There was a line up of cabs waiting. 10:40 for a flight is
way too risky, catch a later one.

sue
Old February 25th, 2006, 02:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Tudor Jones wrote:

Duck ) writes:

Has anyone called a cab from a ship debarking in Ft. Lauderdale to take them
to the airport?

Grab your luggage and head outside where there will be plenty of cabs
lined up ready to go.

This may be true Monday through Friday, but not so on
weekends. With six other giant ships in at the same
time, cabs can be scarce.

We just came back on 2/12/06, a sunday. We were one of the later
people off the ship and there were plenty of cabs there. There was a
lot of ships in port with us, 6 or 7, I am not sure.

sue
Old February 25th, 2006, 04:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Tom wrote:
I was looking at a 10:40AM flight out of FLL airport.

Probably was at a great price, right? Those early flights usually are,
because the airlines know it's too early for cruise passengers to take
advantage of. They have a captive cruise audience for those afternoon
flights, which is why they're so much more expensive. I've taken to
booking flights in the evening on disembarkation day. Last time, I
rented a car and drove down to Miami Beach to visit with family for the
day. This time (Tampa) I'll spend the day checking out Channelside,
especially the aquarium where I'll be able to check my luggage. The
evening flights are usually a little less pricey than those primo
1-3:00pm options.

Really, that 10:40 flight is risky, as others have said. The security
lines at FLL can be huge not to mention delays you might encounter
docking in Fort Lauderdale or the one non-American passenger who simply
won't show up for immigration clearance, therefore delaying the entire
ship getting off. The ship has to be totally cleared before anyone is
allowed off. They don't really care much if they've delayed passengers'
subsequent travel plans.

Getting back to your original question, there are taxis and shuttle
vans available for disembarking passengers. But, as others have said,
there are only so many of them...you might encounter a wait, as it's
first come, first served.

Lee

Old February 25th, 2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Hi, Tom,

I agree with everyone who believes your early flight time is risky. I've
read a fairly high percentage of delayed arrival stories involving that
port.

But, if you want to go for it, you would be well-advised to pre-arrange a
pick-up with a minivan to hold 6+luggage. Alternatively, as you are
thinking, if you bring your cell phone and some phone numbers, you could
probably make that arrangement on the spot--or perhaps you could pre-arrange
and use the cell phone to call that a.m. and confirm the actual pick-up time
based on what actually occurs that a.m.

Also, if you have packed such that you could self-carry your luggage off the
ship, I would recommend that as a timesaver--when we disembarked there in
December, there was no organization to the bags, so we wasted time walking
up and down aisles of similar-looking black bags looking for our distinctive
markers (that is one time I wish I'd slapped huge day-glo pink or orange X's
across the sides of all pieces of luggage).

IMO, the Port Everglades facility is operated extremely inefficiently. We
had difficulties on both arrival & departure with navigating the basic
logistics, including departing by taxi. (Details in my review of our Sun
Princess cruise, which I posted 2/19.)

Have a great cruise.

Diana Ball
near Houston, TX