Grand Lido by SuperClub Negril questions

Old April 15th, 2004, 06:55 PM
LVTravel

Default Grand Lido by SuperClub Negril questions

Anyone been there recently and how are the accomodations? Food? Water
activities and Golf?

Is it safe to go out of the compound? (Have heard of reports of locals
hassling non-locals)

Looking to go in January or February of 2005.

Old April 15th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Lenny

"LVTravel" wrote in message
Anyone been there recently and how are the accomodations? Food?

Water
activities and Golf?

Is it safe to go out of the compound? (Have heard of reports of

locals
hassling non-locals)

Looking to go in January or February of 2005.

That's high season so it promises to be very pricey (at least in my
tax bracket). No golf, but water activities, including a pretty cool
yacht that they take you out on. I'll leave the assessment of the
food to someone with more recent experience.

There isn't much in the immediate area of the compound other
than -other- All-Inclusives and the beach nearby at Bloody Bay, but,
if you do leave to go up the road towards the center of town, for
example (about 6-7 miles), you likely will interact with Jamaicans.
Whether it amounts to "hassling" is usually a matter of perspective.

Old April 16th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Dave

"Lenny" wrote in message ...
"LVTravel" wrote in message
Anyone been there recently and how are the accomodations? Food?

Water
activities and Golf?

Is it safe to go out of the compound? (Have heard of reports of

locals
hassling non-locals)

Looking to go in January or February of 2005.

I did not stay at the GL Negril but just down the beach at the Riu. I
had read reports on tripadvisor.com that the GL was not worth the
money. They do have a nice yacht though that goes out every two days.
It used to belong to Princess Grace and to rent it for a wedding costs
$300 per hour.
As for the locals just past the Riu is a place known as the Office of
Nature. You can buy souvenirs here as well as the best jerk lobster
around. If you go the other way along 7 mile beach you will be
approached by people trying to sell things but a simple no thank you
works. I was hassled more in the DR than in Negril. I never felt
uncomfortable there but then again I'm six foot two 220lbs.

Respect
Dave
Old April 17th, 2004, 11:20 PM
LVTravel

Thanks so far for the responses (If I can get in it won't cost me anything
except airfare) Worth the trip?

"Dave" wrote in message
om...

Old April 18th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Lenny

"LVTravel" wrote in message
Thanks so far for the responses (If I can get in it won't cost me

anything
except airfare) Worth the trip?

I can't imagine not doing it for the cost of airfare alone. I think
it's close to 5G/ week at that time of year, and, while price isn't
always an indicator, Grand Lido has always had a good
rep--particularly for free--and they really lay on the food & drink.
BTW, a portion of it has a clothing optional beach if you didn't
know. Not that there's anything wrong with that

"Dave" wrote in message
om...

Old April 19th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Dave

"Lenny" wrote in message ...
"LVTravel" wrote in message
Thanks so far for the responses (If I can get in it won't cost me

anything
except airfare) Worth the trip?

I would like to know how you are getting the Lido for nothing. I would
jump at it in a second.
Old April 19th, 2004, 07:43 PM
LVTravel

They (SuperClubs) totally goofed on a previous trip with them. Gave me a
certificate good for ANY of their properties to use within the next two
years.

"Dave" wrote in message
m...

Old April 20th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Dave Etzler

I just got back from Negril two days ago. Had a great time. Didn't stay at
an a/i, and was in and out of the town and area all the time. Walked up and
down the beach, walked around town, walked up and down the road, went up
into the hills to Mayfield Falls, went over to Black River for the Jamaican
Horticultural Society show on Easter Monday, and never felt unsafe. Hung
out with a Rasta fruit seller up in the hills. No problem there.

I wouldn't go to a place where I had to stay in the "compound" and was told
it was unsafe out there with the locals. If you are staying in Kingston, I
would recommend another place. Negril is quite different. There are few
hassles there. You want to learn to respect the locals. since they are
trying to make a living in a terrible economy which is highly competitive
for the tourist dollar. They are very good sales people, and this sometimes
causes discomfort for those not used to the pressure that they are under.
They are also a polite and respectful society, for the most part.

While I was at Selina's restaurant for a get-together of people who hang out
at Negril.com, some people who were there were almost forcibly detained by
Couples resort. They didn't want them off the "compound" and wanted them to
just be hostage inside. Then the taxi inside wanted $30 US to take them to
town. Walking outside got them a cab for $5 US.

Grand Lido has a good reputation for food and drink and ammenities. I would
definitely go, but would also learn more about the area and get out where
the real people are and head to some local restaurants and bars and night
spots. Well worth the time and little expense.

Sometime I would recommend staying at one of the many little places in
Negril. Firefly is our favorite, and we've been going there since 1985!

Dave