driving across the usa - the developments

Old September 25th, 2003, 02:07 AM
Miguel Cruz

Default driving across the usa - the developments

Juliana L Holm wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Go Fig wrote:
Barbara Vaughan wrote:
Go Fig wrote:
What US interstate hwy has a toll ?

I-95 for one.

Barbara

Where ?

How about the Delaware Memorial Bridge?

Actually, the Delaware Memorial Bridge is not Rte 95.

Drat! Right you are.

Okay, the stretch north of Trenton, south of the Delaware Memorial Bridge
through Delaware, the bridge at Havre de Grace, and the McHenry Tunnel in
Baltimore (now I'm at home where I have a map and can cheat).

Actually with this map I could go on all day (I-80 entering San Francisco.
I-95 north of NYC, I-275 in St Petersburg, I-75 through Alligator Alley,
I-88 and I-90 west of Chicago, I-94 north of Chicago, I-35 through Kansas,
I-44 through Oklahoma, I-95 in New Hampshire and southern Maine, I-90 in
Massachussetts and New York, I-87 in New York, I-76, I-80, and most of I-90
in Ohio, I-76 and most of I-70 in Pennsylvania, parts of I-64 and I-77 in
West Virginia, etc.) But I won't.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 25th, 2003, 02:25 AM
Jim Battista

"rob tyler" wrote in
:

thanks barbara - if we can do 400 or 500 miles every other day in
6 or 7 hours that would be ok i reckon - it is the thought of
dawdling along at 55 or 60 mph that worries me - we do tend to
speed along at 90mph on the UK motorways and the distance just
gets eaten up...

The usual rule of thumb if you want to have only a negligible chance of
being pulled over is to not do more than 10mph over the limit. This
will have you doing 70--80 most of the time, with a lot of not-quite-
75.

--
Jim Battista
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
Old September 25th, 2003, 02:41 AM
Hiloman

"rob tyler" wrote in message

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Hiloman wrote:
El Paso gets my vote as the ugliest city in the States. I'm too lazy

read you earlier threads, but why would anyone be interested in El

Paso?

A jumping-off point for daytrips to scenic Ciudad Juarez?

miguel
--

you said it miguel....

I think he was being sarcastic, Rob. Why else would he put the words
"scenic" and "Juarez" in the same sentence?

Also, note the use of the plural "daytrips," as if border towns like Ciudad
Juarez can be tolerated for more than a few hours.

Old September 25th, 2003, 02:48 AM
Juliana L Holm

Go Fig wrote:

Through Maryland and Delaware.

Are they just road segments or Bridges\Tunnel or spur hwys tolls ?

I guess you could call them just road segments; I am not just talking about
a Bridge Tunnel, but the truth is you cannot get on 95 in Delaware south of
the Delaware Memorial bridge without paying a toll; and this is true from a
about halfway up from Baltimore in MD also.

I think it is not valid to say that there are not tolls on Interstates, there
are indeed, clearly interstates with tolls. Maybe not the entire length of
them, but good portions. There are no FEDERAL Tolls, but that does not
equate to no tolls.

Julie
http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm
Old September 25th, 2003, 02:49 AM
Hiloman

"Juliana L Holm" wrote in message

Ciudad Juarez and all the US/Mexico Border towns are not at all typical of

Mexico.

I'll take that a step further. I know a handful of people whose only
experience of Mexico is dirty border cities like Juarez, Mexicali, and
Tijuana.

Because of their negative first-impressions of the country, they've chosen
not to venture any further. Que lastima!

Old September 25th, 2003, 04:21 AM
Go Fig

In article ,
Juliana L Holm wrote:

Go Fig wrote:

Through Maryland and Delaware.

Are they just road segments or Bridges\Tunnel or spur hwys tolls ?

I guess you could call them just road segments; I am not just talking about
a Bridge Tunnel, but the truth is you cannot get on 95 in Delaware south of
the Delaware Memorial bridge without paying a toll; and this is true from a
about halfway up from Baltimore in MD also.

I think it is not valid to say that there are not tolls on Interstates, there
are indeed, clearly interstates with tolls.

Indeed there are, I had always thought that only B&Ts had the fees on
them, which is still the case for the over 42k miles of Fed Interstate.

http://www.usastar.com/i95/tolls.htm

jay
Wed, Sep 24, 2003

Maybe not the entire length of
them, but good portions. There are no FEDERAL Tolls, but that does not
equate to no tolls.

Julie
http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old September 25th, 2003, 07:42 AM
John W

"rob tyler" wrote in message
thanks for all that tremendous advice - i shall have to see whether i can
get a better car deal from Philadelphia -
- one thing did occur to me today that i hadnt considered as we dont have
them here in the UK: are there tolls on the Interstates like in Europe or
are they mostly free?

They are mostly free but on our recent trip we must have spent $40-$50
(perhaps even more) in total on tolls but on the plus side the rest areas
(or service plazas) on toll roads seem in general to be nicer (and newer)
than the functional rest areas on most Interstates.... and most times you
can get a decent cup of coffee. I think your planned route will take you
away from most toll roads (or the to use the other word that the Americans
have hijacked and subsequently misused - Turnpikes).

Old September 25th, 2003, 07:56 AM
rob tyler

"John W" wrote in message

They are mostly free but on our recent trip we must have spent $40-$50

.. I think your planned route will take you
away from most toll roads

that's comfirting to know - i suddenly had visions of spending $100s like i
would in France or Italy if travelling that far.....