Streets, roads, highways, and freeways

Old January 6th, 2006, 08:10 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.urban-transit,ba.general,ca.general

Default Streets, roads, highways, and freeways

Dave wrote:
Icono Clast wrote:

That's a serious problem here. Just today there was a report of flooding
at where "101 and 1" meet in Marin County. Where'n 'ell'zat? Oh, it's
somewhere around Lucky Drive in Corte Madera (I ask m'girlfriend, who
lives in Marin).

101 and 1 meet south of there in Mill Valley, where you get off the
freeway heading to Muir Woods from San Francisco. Richardson Bay meets
the land there, and the freeway is raised, but I can see it flooding
below along Highway One.

Lucky Drive in Corte Madera is the exit for Sir Francis Drake Blvd and
the Richmond Bridge. The freeway itself is subject to flooding there.

101 and 1 is where the Redwood & Shoreline Highways split. I had to
look up the names, but I knew right where to look by the #'s.

There're often reports of jams "at 101/80 split". I've been driving in
this city for longer than fifty years and have absolutely no idea where
that is. It's probably somewhere between Duboce Avenue and Fourth
Street, but I don't know.

It'd be where the Central & Lick split/merge, and I didn't even need a
map for that one.

In Emeryville/Ashby Avenue (I think), there's a sign below highway
level, i.e., you can't see the traffic, that says something like "80
West" pointing one way and "80 East" pointing the other. Emeryville is
West and North of San Francisco so, obviously, one takes "80 West" to
get to the bridge. Wrong! It goes to the Atlantic Ocean! If one sign
said "Oakland" or "San Francisco" and the other "Berkeley" or
"Sacramento", one couldn't possibly make a mistake.

Since 80 West ends in San Francisco at the 101/80 (or Central/Lick),
this sounds more like a signage error than anything else. If you
contact CalTrans about a mistake they usually correct it within 24
hours.

Perhaps a signage error, but it's also where the Bayshore Freeway
heading (roughly) south towards San Francisco carries both 80 West and
580 East. And vice-versa going north, but 580 West does not go to the
Atlantic Ocean, it goes over the Richmond Bridge and connects with
US-101 in Marin County. Ike, you sure you not reading "580 East" to
get to the Bay Bridge?

Only if you follow the signs for 80 East will you reach, well, since we
like to be so pedantic, you'll reach Teaneck, New Jersey, not the
Atlantic Ocean.

Old January 6th, 2006, 02:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.urban-transit,ba.general,ca.general

Carmen L. Abruzzi wrote:
Dave wrote:
Icono Clast wrote:
In Emeryville/Ashby Avenue (I think), there's a sign below
highway level, i.e., you can't see the traffic, that says
something like "80 West" pointing one way and "80 East" pointing
the other. Emeryville is West and North of San Francisco so,
obviously, one takes "80 West" to get to the bridge. Wrong! It
goes to the Atlantic Ocean! If one sign said "Oakland" or "San
Francisco" and the other "Berkeley" or "Sacramento", one couldn't
possibly make a mistake.

Since 80 West ends in San Francisco at the 101/80 (or
Central/Lick), this sounds more like a signage error than anything
else. If you contact CalTrans about a mistake they usually correct
it within 24 hours.

Perhaps a signage error, but it's also where the Bayshore Freeway
heading (roughly) south towards San Francisco carries both 80 West and
580 East.

I've never heard any highway not numbered US101 and going South from
San Francisco near the shore of The Bay, called "Bayshore".

And vice-versa going north, but 580 West does not go to the
Atlantic Ocean, it goes over the Richmond Bridge and connects with
US-101 in Marin County. Ike, you sure you not reading "580 East" to
get to the Bay Bridge?

I really don't know. I'ma gonna haveta write down what the signs say.
What I do know is that, when there, I'm East of The City and North of
the San Francisco Bay Bridge so should go South and West to go home.
Following the obvious sign requires turning around at University
Avenue.

Only if you follow the signs for 80 East will you reach, well, since we
like to be so pedantic, you'll reach Teaneck, New Jersey, not the
Atlantic Ocean.

I'd originally written "New York" but realized that I had no idea where
InterState 80 goes other than in a generally Eastern direction. I know
where Highway 40 goes: Fifth and Bryant to Atlantic City. And Highway
50 from Fifth and Bryant to Ocean City (yeah, I know, Highway 50
supposedly begins in West Sacramento).
"San Francisco is a pleasure. Los Angeles is a headache" Rita (NYC)
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ - http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 --- IClast at SFbay Net

Old January 6th, 2006, 07:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.urban-transit,ba.general,ca.general

On 6 Jan 2006 05:01:51 -0800, wrote:

Carmen L. Abruzzi wrote:
Dave wrote:
Icono Clast wrote:
[...]

He must mean the Eastshore Freeway.

[...]

Maybe once upon a time, but currently the old highway number has
been retired in favor of I-40, which is in southern California.

And Highway
50 from Fifth and Bryant to Ocean City (yeah, I know, Highway 50
supposedly begins in West Sacramento).

You gotta connect with the times. US-50 no longer goes out
through Dublin and all. Live with it. Or do you think there is
still a US-66, too?