Istanbul and Gallipoli

Old June 4th, 2008, 11:07 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Runge11

Default Istanbul and Gallipoli

Awww the 3 pals trolling together in public

"grusl" a écrit dans le message de
On Jun 4, 4:53 pm, Norman Spiney wrote:
On 4 Jun, 13:49, grusl wrote:

On Jun 4, 4:33 pm, Norman Spiney wrote:

On 4 Jun, 13:27, grusl wrote:

On Jun 4, 3:22 pm, Norman Spiney wrote:

On 4 Jun, 12:05, grusl wrote:

On Jun 4, 2:37 pm, Norman Spiney
wrote:

On 4 Jun, 11:22, "grusl" wrote:

I'm off to Istanbul for a few days this month. First visit
to Turkey and
basically a spur-of-the-moment idea while my wife is
visiting her mother.

I'm flying BLR-IST with GF (two four-hour hops with a two
hour layover in
BAH and, being GF, will no doubt be late), which cost
INR40,000 - about
USD1000 - and staying at the Turing Ayasofya Konaklari in
Sogukçesme sokagi
in the Sultanahmet district at EUR120 per night. (No doubt
those diacritics
won't come out).

In the middle of the stay I'm planning for an overnight trip
to Gallipoli
via Canakkale. The hotel says it does group tours, which I
don't especially
mind in an unfamiliar country (and especially if there are
knowledgable
veterans on the tour ... not from the original 1915 conflict
of course), but
if anyone knows a more interesting way to see the
battlefield sites and
memorials I'm listening. I'm OK with bus, train or car
options.

I have the LP guide to Istanbul and I'm basically interested
in the city's
history, architecture, art, museums, walking, and eating and
drinking
(restaurant and raki bar recommendations welcome; I'm
completely
omnivorous). I'm not a shopper. I take photos but not well.
My brief
research into Canakkale gives the general impression it's a
swinging
university town but I may have to adjust that for local
sentiments.

Cheers,

George W Russell

Bangalore

all that time and expense just to see some graves ?!- Hide
quoted text -

Yes, I suppose Westminster Abbey falls into the same category.

The time is negligible - overnight - and I don't know about the
cost
yet.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Westminster Abbey is a large historic building in the centre of
London....
Gallipoli is overrated, Pergammon / Goreme / Pamukkale are much
more
interesting-

I'm sure Gallipoli is larger than Westminster. Anyway, I think
London
is overrated.

....Gallipoli is a large field,zzzzzzz, but if you insist on going at
least drop in on the Turks as well, it'll make your driver happy- Hide
quoted text -

Westminster is a large church zzzzzzzzzzz

indeed, and thats about 30 minutes of site seeing for no extra effort.

I imagine I will see the occasional Turk with a week in Istanbul.

ah, but they wont buried in a field....- Hide quoted text -

SHUT UP

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 4th, 2008, 11:42 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Jimmy Olsen Cub Reporter

Runge11 wrote:

What an interesting, void life !
Please no more details !!!

Is Turkey a normal modern place where you simply pay for things or do
you have to barter down the price...???

--
Best
Greg

[...]

Bangalore- Hide quoted text -

Old June 4th, 2008, 11:45 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Jimmy Olsen Cub Reporter

Runge11 blabbles:

Awww the 3 pals trolling together in public

Here in America "Turkey" refers to a bird...we use our guns to shoot
the buggers...!!!

--
Best
Greg

On 4 Jun, 13:27, grusl wrote:

On Jun 4, 3:22 pm, Norman Spiney wrote:

Old June 5th, 2008, 12:49 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 17:00:54 +0530, "grusl"
wrote:

I could caption most of your HK photos if you like. I hope you pointed out
the koalas climbing the Lippo Centre (formerly Bond Centre).

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Missed them (I'm sure you'll elaborate:-)

You have a photo of them. See the three buildings horizontally, above where
it says: "Then there were the buildings. I enjoy looking at buildings, old
and new, comparing styles and architecture."? At right is the new Bank of
China, HSBC in the middle and on the left is the Lippo Centre. See the six
koalas hugging it, three on each side?

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

This one?
http://bp1.blogger.com/_GGuBLqgIbHs/...h/DSCF7452.JPG

I'll be darned. I can see it now. Never occurred to me:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:53 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

I think everyone is reading Viviane's meaning incorrectly. I think she's
trying to say, it's hard to understand the effect the first WW had on
Aussies unless you're an Aussie.

In that case she's wrong. None of them lived through it and they're
feeling what they've been told to feel about it. The experience of
participating in a vicarious orgy of faked-up grief over hyped-up
martyrs you never knew or thought of caring about until Rupert Murdoch
told you about them is common to the whole developed media-brainwashed
world. The UK's version of it was the death of Diana Spencer.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:04 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 00:53:00 +0100, Jack Campin - bogus
address wrote:

In that case she's wrong. None of them lived through it and they're
feeling what they've been told to feel about it. The experience of
participating in a vicarious orgy of faked-up grief over hyped-up
martyrs you never knew or thought of caring about until Rupert Murdoch
told you about them is common to the whole developed media-brainwashed
world. The UK's version of it was the death of Diana Spencer.

You really haven't a clue, have you?
Sad.

'bye, Alan, Australia
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:23 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
grusl[_3_]

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
I think everyone is reading Viviane's meaning incorrectly. I think she's
trying to say, it's hard to understand the effect the first WW had on
Aussies unless you're an Aussie.

In that case she's wrong. None of them lived through it and they're
feeling what they've been told to feel about it. The experience of
participating in a vicarious orgy of faked-up grief over hyped-up
martyrs you never knew or thought of caring about until Rupert Murdoch
told you about them is common to the whole developed media-brainwashed
world. The UK's version of it was the death of Diana Spencer.

Actually, Rupert's dad told us about Gallipoli!

It's a bit like how Agincourt is hyped up, which was a rare victory amid a
century-long orgy of defeat and expulsion. Nonetheless, Gallipoli will be
interesting to see as the place (or interesting to say I've been to the
place) from where the myths and legends sprang.

I'm taking a trip, not making a political statement.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 5th, 2008, 06:27 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
grusl[_3_]

"Gerald Oliver Swift" wrote in message
Wonderful, that that after about 2 weeks or so, we have a meaningful
discussion on rte!
And also really pleased that some of the regular contributors are still
about.

And as for my 2 penneth worth..... Cannakkle is a small. non-descript town
with a harbour on the Dardanelles - but it is the jumping off point for
both Gallipoli and Troy.
Irrespective of nationality, interest in WW1, etc., Gallipoli is a MUST -
as too, obviously, is Troy.
Tours to both sites are widely available just about everywhere in
Cannakkale.

I don't have my hopes set terribly high, but it will be a worthwhile visit
for me. And a harbour on the Dardanelles can't be all bad. Fish sandwiches,
at least?

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
A Mate[_2_]

There's a deal to see at Gallipoli - both in the Anzac Cove area and Cape
Hermes. If your time is limited - as yours is then a guided tour will be
best. Be sure you link up with a company which will tour the area of
interest to you. Essentially there are Australian and NZ 'hot' spots;
British interest points, and the Turkish memorials in both areas. Personally
I found the Quinn's Post area (near the Sergeant Mehmet memorial) the most
interesting. There are reconstructed trenches on the original lines here
too.

In the Cannakale Naval Base there is a smallish Turkish military nuseum (not
far from the Fort) - it has excellent computer driven (in at least 3
languages) interpretative 'posts' which explain just what lay behind the
whole Gallopoli campaign, and how the Turks won. Winston Churchill, First
Lord of the Admiralty at the time, took a long time to 'live down' the
disaster he inspired.

You can - of course - also get easily to Troy from Cannakale.

We spent 3 nights at Gelibolu (the Turkish town near the Battlefields
National Park) and rented a car - so we moved at our own pace to just what
we wanted to see - but still took 4 full days to see everything we wanted to
in the area. The ferry from Cannakale to the battlefield is frequent and
fairly quick.