Tips for not being a mark for pickpockets if ethnic minority in Italy or Europe

Old September 19th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Jenn

Default Tips for not being a mark for pickpockets if ethnic minority in Italy or Europe

In article ,
"blib" wrote:

[snip.....}

2. Keep suitcases locked in your hotel.
3. On the metro or subway I always stand with my back to the wall,
especially at busy times and not out by the track where I am an easier
mark. If I am carrying a backpack I take it off and put it at my feet
and position myself by a wall again.
4. When getting on and off of buses, etc. I pay close attention to the
shoulder bag I use. I carry it in front with my arm around it so the
bottom cannot be cut. This is a favorite trick. Just slice the bag and
take what falls out, or slide the side and reach in. I put the
shoulder strap over my head so the bag cannot be pulled off of me. I
lock the pockets with cheap locks. This keepss the zippers closed, but
doesn't protect against razor cuts. I still have to be careful.
5. I have used both styles of under garment wallets. The one that
attaches to my belt and fits inside my pants works very well but
people look at me strange when they see me whipping something out of
my pants when I need to pay---especially women, so I try to just keep
my credit card there and extra cash.
6. At a restaurant put your bag or backpack on the ground between your
feet. I even put my leg through the strap just so I don't forget the
thing when I leave.
7. Never set your bag by a fence or in a place where someone can just
reach over and snatch it.
8. If your bag or wallet does get stolen don't expect any help from
the local police but a filed report may help with an insurance claim.

[Snip.....]

You must really enjoy your holidays.....

some people find thiings more enjoyable when they don't have to worry
about petty crime -- because they are prepared

the woman in London whose purse and passport were stolen when she left
them momentarily to go to the breakfast bar in what she thought was a
private and secure breakfast room probably didn't enjoy her holidays

my friends in florence whose wallets were stolen from their backpacks,
resented the time they spent getting ID replaced and really missed their
money

the guy in Rome whose camcorder was nicked didn't enjoy the rest of the
trip as much

I on the other hand, have virtually no anxiety about losing stuff
because I know it is stowed in a safe, or moneybelt, etc and not likely
to cause problems
Old September 19th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Irwell

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:07:54 +0200, Barbara Vaughan wrote:

Lil wrote:

Surprised they didn't cut your purse....Good thing you didn't lose
anything though.

What, and risk being buried in the avalanche?

Barbara

Women seem to agonise for hours when selecting
a new handbag, after the purchase has been made and
the bag is stuffed to the gills, it bears no semblance
to that cute display model.
Not a bit like a man's bulging pockets.
Old September 20th, 2003, 02:38 AM
Bob

[...]