See a bit of the Faroe Islands.

Old September 16th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default See a bit of the Faroe Islands.

David Horne wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
jfo wrote:
I would rather compare eating a whale to eating a cow or a pig.

And presumably if I were a rapist I would rather compare rape to gentle
lovemaking.

In other words, people like to get into their little corners, feel smug
and superior, and then criticise others.

Heck yeah.

Various peoples in the world have historically eaten and hunted whales,
and it was a very important source of food for them.

I recognize that I'm being extreme. But the arguments I've seen here are so
weak! JFO's basically comes down to the fact that whales exist, therefore
apparently eating them is good. And now this.

People have historically done any number of barbaric things. How does that
justify them?

People have more of a soft spot for whales though.

Trying to be rational, that's pretty much what it comes down to for me. My
internal rule is based on how smart the animal is, I think.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 16th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Derek F

There was plenty of whale meat on sale in Norway when I was there two years
ago as well as seal skins.
Derek
"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
jfo wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
And there is no other food available in Norway? Perhaps we could

arrange a
UN assistance program.

Norway ? :-)

I was responding to a poster with a Norwegian address.

And Yes, there is plenty of other food but that is no reason for not
eating whales is it?

No, but likewise the existence of other food is also not a reason to avoid
eating human babies, granite, or hemlock.

These things come with their own reasons.

Old September 16th, 2003, 06:49 PM
David Horne

Miguel Cruz wrote:

But the arguments I've seen here are so
weak! JFO's basically comes down to the fact that whales exist, therefore
apparently eating them is good.

And countering that by giving the rapist's point of view isn't helpful.
Eating whales _is_ pretty good for some people, apparently, and it's not
hard to see why it's an attractive source of food- it's a bumper catch
after all. All kinds of things exist and taste good to some people-
hence why they eat them. in that respect, I think the cows and pigs
analogy isn't far of base really. Unless there are other things comingg
into the equation for other people, as you point out below.

And now this.

People have historically done any number of barbaric things. How does that
justify them?

Whale hunting isn't barbaric to everyone any more than fox hunting is.
The former probably has more serious environmental consequences if it's
done too much though.

People have more of a soft spot for whales though.

Trying to be rational, that's pretty much what it comes down to for me. My
internal rule is based on how smart the animal is, I think.

And other people's internal rule is that if it has a face, they won't
eat it. Or, if it's classed as an animal, they won't eat it. Or, for
others, in the immortal words of Patsy Stone- "anything with a pulse is
lunch." There's a wide range of things going on. I suppose, deep down,
it's not really possible to be rational- you're dealing with a deep down
feeling here, and arguing with that is difficult, I think.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.co.uk
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Old September 16th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Miguel Cruz

David Horne wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Trying to be rational, that's pretty much what it comes down to for me. My
internal rule is based on how smart the animal is, I think.

And other people's internal rule is that if it has a face, they won't
eat it. Or, if it's classed as an animal, they won't eat it. Or, for
others, in the immortal words of Patsy Stone- "anything with a pulse is
lunch." There's a wide range of things going on. I suppose, deep down,
it's not really possible to be rational- you're dealing with a deep down
feeling here, and arguing with that is difficult, I think.

I think we're in agreement (call the papers!)

Old September 16th, 2003, 08:21 PM
jfo

I don't think You can compare hunting pilot-whales to fox-hunting and
bull-fighting.
The whales die in order to feed people. To me that is natural and fully
acceptable. The world works that way.

Fox-hunting and bull-fighting are practiced for fun... That is barbaric.

And to Miguel: Where does intelligence come into the picture? I really don't
get Your point. I bet You have
seen to much "Free Willie" :-)

-JFO

"David Horne" skrev i en
meddelelse
news:1g1e628.12qpb5a17k4028N%i_will_almost_never_r ...

Old September 16th, 2003, 10:24 PM
Derek F

I found Norway to be a very disappointing country for food. The only meals
that I can recall off hand were two excellent Chinese ones in Stavanger, an
Italian one in Bergen and Reindeer in Trondheim.
Derek.
k...

jfo wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
And there is no other food available in Norway? Perhaps we could

arrange a
UN assistance program.

Norway ? :-)

I was responding to a poster with a Norwegian address.

And Yes, there is plenty of other food but that is no reason for

not
eating whales is it?

No, but likewise the existence of other food is also not a reason to

avoid
eating human babies, granite, or hemlock.

These things come with their own reasons.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world:

http://travel.u.nu

Old September 16th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Roger A

"Derek F" skrev i melding
I found Norway to be a very disappointing country for food. The only meals
that I can recall off hand were two excellent Chinese ones in Stavanger,

an
Italian one in Bergen and Reindeer in Trondheim.
Derek.

But you never tried our excellent whale steak or even better; whale meat on
the grill ? Unfortunately we are not allowed to export, otherwise u
could have bought some in your local.......For some reason whales has been
seen us nearly human for the last couple of decades, in special americans
seems to be quite fanatic about whales although they allow innuits in their
own country to practice the largest and most painful whale hunting in the
world. The poor whale who was forced to take part in the free willy movies
can't be much intelligent though; he ran away to the whale hunting country
of Norway as soon as he was set free for real ! He seems to live a very lazy
life in a fjord less than 1 hrs drive from where I live being fed by humans
brought in from america.... Believe it or not !

Roger

PS agree Derek, the Norwegian kitchen is rather boring.

Old September 16th, 2003, 11:22 PM
David Horne

Derek F wrote:

I found Norway to be a very disappointing country for food. The only meals
that I can recall off hand were two excellent Chinese ones in Stavanger, an
Italian one in Bergen and Reindeer in Trondheim.

Home cooked Norwegian food can be excellent- as delicious as anything
you'll find elsewhere. Also, there's a surprisingly large variety of
dishes. Not just fish! The kind of food you get in restaurants, however,
tends to be disappointing, I agree.

David

Old September 17th, 2003, 12:20 AM
Derek F

"David Horne" wrote in message
news:1g1ej46.14o7wbj1fsehd3N%i_will_almost_never_r ...
Derek F wrote:

I found Norway to be a very disappointing country for food. The only

meals
that I can recall off hand were two excellent Chinese ones in Stavanger,

an
Italian one in Bergen and Reindeer in Trondheim.

Home cooked Norwegian food can be excellent- as delicious as anything
you'll find elsewhere. Also, there's a surprisingly large variety of
dishes. Not just fish! The kind of food you get in restaurants, however,
tends to be disappointing, I agree.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.co.uk
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk

Normally I remember every meal that we have on holiday but Norway is one
big blank and it was only two years ago. As the mists clear I can see a pub
in Oslo that we went to twice but I can't remember what we had and another
place in the shopping Mall by Oslo station when we were between trains and a
lousy steak in another town.
Derek.