Tips for not being a mark for pickpockets if ethnic minority in Italy or Europe

Old September 17th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Thomas Peel

Default Tips for not being a mark for pickpockets if ethnic minority inItaly or Europe

Joseph Feng schrieb:

Are there any good suggestions for good decoys and booby traps for the
pickpockets? For example, I have a wallet that I just "retired", so I
plan load it with Monopoly money or cut newspapers and leave it in an
easily accessible pocket. Also, I was thinking of carrying a bag
containing a styrofoam ball studded with pins and needles.

A pickpocket (in London) many years ago went off with my handkerchief.
Old September 17th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Padraig Breathnach

(borrevitsch) wrote:

i often use an empty wallet as distraction.

That's a good excuse. My wallet is empty because I have spent all my
money.

PB
Old September 17th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Irwell

1:45:37 +0200, Thomas Peel wrote:

Joseph Feng schrieb:

Are there any good suggestions for good decoys and booby traps for the
pickpockets? For example, I have a wallet that I just "retired", so I
plan load it with Monopoly money or cut newspapers and leave it in an
easily accessible pocket. Also, I was thinking of carrying a bag
containing a styrofoam ball studded with pins and needles.

A pickpocket (in London) many years ago went off with my handkerchief.

That's a snotty thing to do.
Old September 18th, 2003, 12:31 AM
David Horne

borrevitsch wrote:

i often use an empty wallet as distraction.

Do you dangle it in front of their eyes, or what?

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.co.uk
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Old September 18th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Dan Stephenson

I believe that walking fast is a good way to discourage pickpockets -
they probably need you to amble slowly, stopping a lot, to get a
chance. When I do stop, e.g. to look a long time at a sight, I
purposefully lean back against a building or something to keep the area
behind me unaccessable. I also look around a lot, looking for
pickpockets. I figure a tourist who looks at a lot of peple turns away
pickpockets who need to stay unseen to do their evil acts. Looking
around a lot is also good for looking at the incredibly beautiful
Italian women.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from my 3-month European vacation:
Old September 18th, 2003, 09:31 AM
The Reid

Following up to Padraig Breathnach

Decoys are fine. My wife usually carries a small handbag in
Madrid and Barcelona containing just tissues etc.

No help to you if you are in Rome at the time.

On the contrary, the Barcelona pickpockets have *no chance* then.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old September 18th, 2003, 09:31 AM
The Reid

Following up to Owain

I'm not sure what an 'ethnic minority' is in London these days.

Mexican, Tibetan?............
Old September 18th, 2003, 09:31 AM
The Reid

Following up to borrevitsch

i often use an empty wallet as distraction.

I too am often distracted by my empty wallet :-(
Old September 18th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Barbara Vaughan

The Reid wrote:

Decoys are fine. My wife usually carries a small handbag in
Madrid and Barcelona containing just tissues etc.

I, on the other hand, carry a large purse with so much junk in it that
even I can't find the money or the credit cards.

Barbara