Transfer in the USA

Old October 8th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Sjoerd

Default Transfer in the USA

The cheapest flight we can find between Amsterdam and Bogota is on Delta via
Atlanta. I understand we will need to clear US immigration, but do we also
need to pick up our bags and go through customs? Or can the bags be
through-checked to Bogota? Would 2 hours be enough time to make the
connection?

Sjoerd

Old October 8th, 2003, 09:17 PM
mrtravel

Sjoerd wrote:
The cheapest flight we can find between Amsterdam and Bogota is on Delta via
Atlanta. I understand we will need to clear US immigration, but do we also
need to pick up our bags and go through customs? Or can the bags be
through-checked to Bogota? Would 2 hours be enough time to make the
connection?

yes
no, they will be tagged to Bogota, but you have to take them through
customs and deposit them with the baggage people just after passing Customs
probably will be enough time

MaryAnn would know, but she's move to alt.visa.us.marriage-based (I am
not kidding)

Old October 8th, 2003, 09:53 PM
Jenn

In article ,
mrtravel wrote:

Sjoerd wrote:
The cheapest flight we can find between Amsterdam and Bogota is on Delta via
Atlanta. I understand we will need to clear US immigration, but do we also
need to pick up our bags and go through customs? Or can the bags be
through-checked to Bogota? Would 2 hours be enough time to make the
connection?

yes
no, they will be tagged to Bogota, but you have to take them through
customs and deposit them with the baggage people just after passing Customs
probably will be enough time

MaryAnn would know, but she's move to alt.visa.us.marriage-based (I am
not kidding)

to reinforce here -- they are set up in situations like this to process
baggage to be rechecked -- you don't have to go back to the regular
check in and go through all that -- it is part of the customs process
Old October 8th, 2003, 10:46 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 22:10:31 +0200 "Sjoerd" wrote:

:The cheapest flight we can find between Amsterdam and Bogota is on Delta via
:Atlanta. I understand we will need to clear US immigration, but do we also
:need to pick up our bags and go through customs? Or can the bags be
:through-checked to Bogota? Would 2 hours be enough time to make the
:connection?

You want to stop in the USA between Amsterdam and Bogota, two heavy drug
areas?????

Count on very intrusive screening both ways.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old October 8th, 2003, 11:13 PM
mrtravel

Binyamin Dissen wrote:
On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 22:10:31 +0200 "Sjoerd" wrote:

:The cheapest flight we can find between Amsterdam and Bogota is on Delta via
:Atlanta. I understand we will need to clear US immigration, but do we also
:need to pick up our bags and go through customs? Or can the bags be
:through-checked to Bogota? Would 2 hours be enough time to make the
:connection?

You want to stop in the USA between Amsterdam and Bogota, two heavy drug
areas?????

3 heavy drug areas. You forgot to count Bogota

Old October 9th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Jean

I've done a google on your posts and you've posted a 10000+ messages over
the years. Please stop this ****.
Bogota? sjoerdhahahahahahahaha

"Sjoerd" schreef in bericht

Old October 9th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Gregory Morrow

Peter L wrote:

Funny.

But true :-)

--
Best
Greg

"mrtravel" wrote in message
. com...

Old October 9th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Sjoerd

"Jean" schreef in bericht
I've done a google on your posts and you've posted a 10000+ messages over
the years.

Do a google on some of the other posters even in this very thread. They have
posted *much* more than I.

Please stop this ****.

Which ****?

Bogota?

It's the capital of Colombia. A very beautiful country with wonderful
people. And it is where my mother-in-law lives, so that's another reason we
like to visit. :-)

Sjoerd

Old October 9th, 2003, 06:35 AM
Sjoerd

"Binyamin Dissen" schreef in bericht

wrote:

:The cheapest flight we can find between Amsterdam and Bogota is on Delta

via
:Atlanta. I understand we will need to clear US immigration, but do we

also
:need to pick up our bags and go through customs? Or can the bags be
:through-checked to Bogota? Would 2 hours be enough time to make the
:connection?

You want to stop in the USA

No, I don't _ want_ to, but the price difference between a flight from
Europe to Colombia and the one on Delta is substantial on the dates we want
to travel. If the USA was a "normal" country we could remain in the transit
lounge at Atlanta and would not have to clear US immigration and customs.

between Amsterdam and Bogota, two heavy drug
areas?????

My partner, his family and I have taken many flights before between
Amsterdam and Bogota (and also between Amsterdam and Bangkok, two other
""drug areas") and have seldom been stopped by customs. Customs officers are
apparently much less simple-minded than you are.

Count on very intrusive screening both ways.

Why?

Sjoerd