Delta Air Lines Prepares Chapter 11 Filing

Old October 24th, 2004, 05:20 AM
nobody

Default Delta Air Lines Prepares Chapter 11 Filing

n e w s wrote:
Delta Air Lines Inc. could file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
as soon as next week, a source familiar with the matter said
yesterday.

Interesting timing. I was expecting this to happen after the elections.
Although I suspect this won't make much of a news dent in the USA with the
media in a pre-election frienzie.

What I don't quite understand is why there is an implied threath of bankrupcy
right away if pilots don't agree to concessions. There seems to be concensus
that bankrupcy is inevitable. Do pilots really have any incentive to get some
agreement before bankrupcy when they know perfectly well that any "wins" they
make can be voided weeks later when the judge voids their agreement ?

Seems to me that an agreement reached during bankrupcy and approved by a judge
stands more chances of surviving bankrupcy than any contract done prior to bankrupcy.
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Terri Bey

I booked a Delta Flight that leaves in March 30, 2005. Am I in any
danger of the ticket not being honored?

Terri

Old October 25th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Terri Bey

Old October 25th, 2004, 01:10 AM
Jeff Hacker

You're fine.

Old October 25th, 2004, 02:04 AM
Frank F. Matthews

You're probably OK. Then again, I did take out travel insurance for my
March flights.

Old October 25th, 2004, 03:14 AM
Terri Bey

Thanks Jeff. Much appreciated.

Terri

Jeff wrote:

You're fine.

Old October 25th, 2004, 06:15 AM
nobody

Cyrus Afzali wrote:
Wrong as usual. Bankruptcy is in no way a given if enough concessions
are reached. Look at US Air. Pilots there, seeing the writing on the
wall, decided it was better to keep negotiating when they still had an
opportunity to influence the eventual outcome. Once a carrier's in
bankruptcy, the ability of any one group to make a huge impact is
much, much less.

Yet, the negotiations of before bankrupcy did not ensure whatever contract
would survive and US Air is a good exmaple since pilots agreed to a even newer
contract with more pay cuts last week (inside bankrupcy).

And even inside bankrupcy, it isn't a given. Look at United. United now wanst
more concessions from employees.

Old October 25th, 2004, 06:32 AM
nobody

Terri Bey wrote:

I booked a Delta Flight that leaves in March 30, 2005. Am I in any
danger of the ticket not being honored?

It is unlikely Delta would fold so soon. The fares you are paying now may
become extremely good deal by January when other airlines start to raise fares
to cover for oil price increases (unless price of oil drops between now and January).

Schedule and equipment may change between now and then, but that is a risk
with any airline.