Kenya (Mombasa) and the rainy season

Old January 7th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Liz

In message
Edward Huckle wrote:

Liz wrote:
In message
"Bobby" wrote:

Is early Feb OK? What sort of temperatures can I expect?

Isn't your tour company providing you with any of this information?
*Should* be OK for rainfall, temperature varies from place to place.

you know Liz ..... believe it or not ... some people ...no never mind
... well ok ... somc poeple actually go to Africa without a tour company
holding their hand.

Oh yes,
And most of them come out alive.
However I inferred from an earlier post of Bobby's that he was going on an
organised tour - if I was wrong then, he didn't correct me.

I know, it must sound preposturous to you (and many others on this
newsgroup).

Not at all.
Hans-Georg does it all the time (but he lived in Kenya for a while).

I have seen it done - it is a horrible sight, you have to make your own
decisions and all kind of horrible things.

Oh yes.
I know personally only two people who have gone to Kenya independently.
Both had a terrible time, and both are extensive independent travellers, one in
SAmerica and SEAsia, the others (a couple) in South and Central America.
However, in both cases a lot of the problems came from breaking down totally
in the middle of nowhe with vehicle repair skills and, nowadays, a GPS
and cellphone it might not have been quite so bad.

(How extensive is the cellphone coverage in Kenya? in Namibia I was 'out of
range' quite a lot of the time, since they obviously concentrate on the more
populous areas.)

Of course, I prefer to make my own decisions *in advance* so that when I'm
there I don't have to waste any time. (I'd also research the _likely_ weather
conditions *before* booking but each to his own.)

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos

Old January 12th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:37:12 GMT, Liz
wrote:

How extensive is the cellphone coverage in Kenya?

Liz,

major cities are covered, and coverage reaches out into the
countryside now quite a bit. A few examples:

Marigat is covered. In Baringo I got a connection in some very
few places, like standing in a particular corner of a metal wall
or standing on top of a water tank.

Isiolo and even Archer's Post is covered. In Samburu I got good
reception some way up a hill, but none down at the river or in
the lodge.

Amboseli was not yet covered last year.

In Maasai Mara many lodges have a transmitter that is throttled
down to yield only a 1 to 2 km range around the lodge, a
particularly stupid setup in my view. So you have good reception
inside and near the lodge, but no reception when you're 2 or 3
km away from the lodge.

I don't know how they technically do the throttling. Perhaps
they simply reduce the power of the transmitter. Anyway, they
are wasting lots of money by putting a transmitter in each
lodge, rather than having just one covering the whole of Maasai
Mara.

I guess that northern Kenya is not covered at all, but I'm not
sure about bigger towns like Lodwar. Does anybody know?

As to travelling in Kenya on your own, let me repeat my opinion.
I think it can be done, but a few conditions should be met. The
person or persons should have some experience with travelling
and driving in developing countries. They should have a
satellite phone or at least a mobile phone, a GPS with a map or
at least a waypoint collection loaded, and at least one good
paper map. They should be able to use the GPS properly. And they
should gather important information before travelling,
particularly everything needed to manage the risks.

And they should carry a printed copy of
http://www.michna.com/kenya.htm (:-)

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old January 12th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Rita Daggett

"Liz" wrote in message
In message
(How extensive is the cellphone coverage in Kenya?

Doesnt it also depend which 'network' you use? I seem to recall when we
were in Tanzania in 2002 a vodaphone cellphone worked (close to Arusha) but
it didnt work in Nairobi.

Old February 1st, 2013, 12:37 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

Default Kenya (Mombasa) and the rainy season

On Monday, December 20, 2004 5:35:38 PM UTC+3, KarenGreen wrote:
Can anyone advise me whether visiting Kenya, specifically the Diani
beach area, is a waste of time in the long rains season? I have seen a
bargain trip in April, but on investigation, the reason it's so cheap is
because of the time of year.

We will want to do a couple of days safari and also hopefully swimming
with dolphins - will the rain stop this kind of activity?

Any advice would be useful

Karen

--
KarenGreen
KarenGreen's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=354

Its never a waste of time to visit Kenya Diani area. Even in the rain season you will still enjoy. The beach can be dirty sometime because of the rain water but it clears later on.
Thanks
Daniel
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:21 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Syamu Mamilla m

jl

Old April 19th, 2013, 04:58 PM
mariajames mariajames is offline
Member

Location: London

I acclaim adjoin visiting Kenya in April. The accident that your vacation is baby by continued spells of rain is not 100%, but it is considerable.