Atlanta, Georgia ideas for vacation?

Old April 17th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Sarah Banick

Default Atlanta, Georgia ideas for vacation?

There's a few nice neighborhoods for shopping/dining (besides Buckhead,
which is a nightmare for driving/parking. Little 5 Point is funky, with
shops and restaurants to match (some are pretty yuppie though).
Virginia-Highlands and Decatur are more traditional antique/gift/pottery
type shops.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

wrote in message
Have an opportunity to spend the first week in June in Atlanta. Can
anyone recommend an itinerary for the week of visits, shopping etc?

tia

Old April 18th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Keith

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
om...

Near Atlanta is an amusement park with two good roller-coasters,
particularly the Georgia Cyclone.

What's the name of the public wide open park right downtown that sort of
adjoins the CNN building? I seem to remember having an enjoyable time just
walking around the park. Great place for a picnic. If they had wireless
internet access(whether designed for the park, or pilfered from the local
office buildings), I could even see going alone w/ my laptop!

It might technically not be a park, but a "public area" of sorts.

Icono: do you know?

Keith
Pittsburgh

Old April 18th, 2004, 03:56 AM
Scotty Beats His Monkey

wrote in message
Have an opportunity to spend the first week in June in Atlanta. Can
anyone recommend an itinerary for the week of visits, shopping etc?

tia

You have to see Stone Mountain, the largest piece of exposed granite in the
world. It is only 30 minutes from Atlanta. They have an awesome laser show
projected on the side of the mountain.

http://www.stonemountainpark.com/newsite/default.asp

Old April 18th, 2004, 04:10 AM
Jon Bell

In article ,
Scotty Beats His Monkey wrote:

You have to see Stone Mountain, the largest piece of exposed granite in the
world. It is only 30 minutes from Atlanta.

And on a clear day, you can see it from anywhere in Atlanta, if you're on
a hill facing in the right direction, or in a tall building. Usually, of
course, the air *isn't* clear enough for this. A couple of years ago I
was driving into town on I-85 from the north (on an unusually clear day),
came over a hill, and thought, "gee, I don't remember that landfill being
there before." Then I realized that I was actually looking at Stone
Mountain, which is probably at least twenty miles from that point.

--
Jon Bell Presbyterian College

Old April 18th, 2004, 10:38 AM
TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Iskandar wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Have an opportunity to spend the first week in June in Atlanta. Can
anyone recommend an itinerary for the week of visits, shopping etc?

I have replied and extended your newsgroups to include "atl.general"
Good luck and I hope you have fun.

I think we got everything but six flags and Arabia Mountain.

Occasionally, people need boring and isolated.

May just be me :-)

NC
Old April 18th, 2004, 09:29 PM
carrollviera

Also Fernbank Museum of NATURAL HISTORY (in addition to Science
Museum)

For artery-clogging fried chicken, other southern cooking, and walls
of pictures of past famous visitors, Mary Mac's Tearoom on Ponce de
Leon.
Old April 18th, 2004, 10:40 PM

The cyclorama in Atlanta is a very interesting place to visit if your
interested in Civil War History.

Old April 19th, 2004, 06:40 AM
TheNIGHTCRAWLER

(carrollviera) wrote:

Also Fernbank Museum of NATURAL HISTORY (in addition to Science
Museum)

For artery-clogging fried chicken, other southern cooking, and walls
of pictures of past famous visitors, Mary Mac's Tearoom on Ponce de
Leon.

Emory museum specializes in some women's artwork on the top floor. Very cool
darkroom up there and some very interesting art on display on that same floor.
That's a highly respectable women's college in GA.

Far more interesting that the videos I rented this weekend.

Watsons Mill State park. Another quiet park with some moving water that's
nice. Covered Bridge.

Has Ruby Falls come up yet? :-)

Somebody mentioned Helen, Ga? Nice little cobblestone German styled town..
Cabins in the middle of the North GA mountains.

Then the Wild Wing Cafe in Marietta...
http://www.pubcrawler.com/Template/R.../BrewerID=2595

Best hotwings in GA and largest selection of worldwide brews available. And ya
get to see one of the most famous landmarks in GA next to the Fox Theater.

"The Big Chicken" Kentucky Fried Chicken... Used in all forms of delivering
directions in the area. ie Take a right at the big chicken and it's two
shopping centers down on the left.
(Notable in that the big sign got a waiver as a landmark as far as signs go in
the area government.)

TheNIGHTCRAWLER
(I LIKE GA)