Germany's red carpet welcome faces first World Cup test

Old December 8th, 2005, 08:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Germany's red carpet welcome faces first World Cup test

The implied "auto-godwination" was said in jest.
I do know quite a few Germans who talk about Bavarians
being uppity, stuck up and rude. I certainly found people
in Munich to be rather surly, pretentious and full of themselves
far more than the inhabitants of any other large European
city. However, I had no problems with people in other
regions of Germany - people in Hamburg especially
seemed pretty cool, as did general attitudes there.

Madrid seemed very user friendly to me, btw.

Old December 8th, 2005, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Earl Evleth wrote:

On 8/12/05 14:36, in article
1h796y0.v3ea8ftv5a5aN%this_address_is_for_spam@yah oo.com, "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h
offy" wrote:

Earl Evleth wrote:
Berlin "poor service" and got 23,100 hits
Paris "poor service = 137,000 hits
London "poor service = 235,000 hits
Rome "poor service = 87,000 hits
New York"poor service = 268,000 hits

So Berlin is low on this poor service test. Of course these
google test are unreliable, but I don't know another course.

It's not just unreliable- it's dumb.

But can you suggest something different?

No, but I don't have to. This is a newsgroup- not Statistics 101. I'm
much more interested in personal anecdotes and tales than what google
fishes up, or what the latest dumb op-ed piece says.

[]
All this shows that my method is reliable in giving
you whatever you want.

Which is why it's dumb.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old December 8th, 2005, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

I didn't find an excess of surliness and bad attitudes in Berlin, for
that matter I didn't find attitudes and surliness in Paris to be
especially bad.

For whatever reason, I find Paris much friendlier now than I used to. I
don't think it's a change in me, but I could be wrong. For people
spending a bit of money, it's always been fine. My grandparents went in
the 80s twice on long weekends, and said they were treated very nicely,
but my grandmother told me that grandfather was spending a lot, and
tipping a lot!

Old December 8th, 2005, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Des Small wrote:

[]
If _I_ was picking user-unfriendly places, I'd personally go for
Barcelona, and my anecdotal evidence would strongly favour Madrid.

What was wrong in Barcelona? (I've never been to Madrid, so can't
compare.)

Old December 8th, 2005, 09:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

offy" wrote:

Earl Evleth wrote:
Berlin "poor service" and got 23,100 hits
Paris "poor service = 137,000 hits
London "poor service = 235,000 hits
Rome "poor service = 87,000 hits
New York"poor service = 268,000 hits

So Berlin is low on this poor service test. Of course these
google test are unreliable, but I don't know another course.

It's not just unreliable- it's dumb.

But can you suggest something different?

Opening your fridge door to stop global warming?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy" skrev i
meddelandet news:1h796y0.v3ea8ftv5a5aN%this_address_is_for_spa ...
Earl Evleth wrote:

On 8/12/05 12:49, in article
1h7920s.v2zq151i6drs9N%this_address_is_for_spam@ya hoo.com, "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco
24h
offy" wrote:

The writer was confusing Paris with Berlin. I found Berliners very
nice.
It's not an effusive friendliness- and I found them quite laid back-
which is not to say reserved.

Could be. I never had a problem there either. Nor in Paris! That did get
me
curious, however, so I googled

Berlin "poor service" and got 23,100 hits
Paris "poor service = 137,000 hits
London "poor service = 235,000 hits
Rome "poor service = 87,000 hits
New York"poor service = 268,000 hits

So Berlin is low on this poor service test. Of course these
google test are unreliable, but I don't know another course.

It's not just unreliable- it's dumb.

Paris "awful city" get's half the hits roughly that London "awful city"
gets. So Paris must be half as awful, right?

However, Paris "excellent city" also gets half the number, so it must be
half as excellent, no?

Or perhaps, just maybe, one city generates more hits _in general_. But,
do go ahead, and use google hits as a test...

(London "excellent food" gets more hits that Paris "excellent food" too,
for the same reason.)

I guess that's right. There are good reasons to understand why Paris gets
more hits than Berlin as there are more visitors to Paris. And there are
good reasons to understand why N.Y and London receives more hits as "poor
service" happens to be the language used in those two cities.

Old December 9th, 2005, 01:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Lennart Petersen wrote:

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy" skrev i
meddelandet news:1h796y0.v3ea8ftv5a5aN%this_address_is_for_spa ...

[]
Or perhaps, just maybe, one city generates more hits _in general_. But,
do go ahead, and use google hits as a test...

(London "excellent food" gets more hits that Paris "excellent food" too,
for the same reason.)

I guess that's right. There are good reasons to understand why Paris gets
more hits than Berlin as there are more visitors to Paris. And there are
good reasons to understand why N.Y and London receives more hits as "poor
service" happens to be the language used in those two cities.

It's probably more the fact that there are simply more hits for London
than for Paris, about twice as many. New York has over twice as many
than London.

Old December 9th, 2005, 10:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Earl Evleth

Berlin "poor service" and got 23,100 hits
Paris "poor service = 137,000 hits
London "poor service = 235,000 hits
Rome "poor service = 87,000 hits
New York"poor service = 268,000 hits

So Berlin is low on this poor service test. Of course these
google test are unreliable, but I don't know another course.

you need to adjust that to per 1000 English speaking visitors and
then Google in all the other languages maybe!

I would be amazed if Paris wasn't worse than London for poor
service.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old December 9th, 2005, 10:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Earl Evleth

But on French google, Paris gets 97,200 to London's 9,660 using "bonne
cuisine".

how many people talk about London food in French? There are only
187 hits for "bonne cuisine" Melbourne :-)
Old December 9th, 2005, 10:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of
besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy

If _I_ was picking user-unfriendly places, I'd personally go for
Barcelona, and my anecdotal evidence would strongly favour Madrid.

What was wrong in Barcelona? (I've never been to Madrid, so can't
compare.)

Catalans are known to be more serious than other Spaniards, for
instance when Brazil won a match in the world cup there was a
mass samba down the Ramblas. Miserable gits.