Air New Zealand vs. Qantas

Old February 22nd, 2004, 02:30 AM
james_anatidae

Default Air New Zealand vs. Qantas

All other things being equal (price, time, route) which would you prefer to
fly?

Old February 22nd, 2004, 02:40 AM
steve

james_anatidae wrote:

All other things being equal (price, time, route) which would you prefer
to fly?

Air NZ.

We own it.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 03:57 AM
wendy

I've never flown Qantas so I am bias, but I hated Air New Zealand when we
flew to LA with them. The service was the worst I have ever experienced and
the food was only just edible!
wendy
--
--------------------------------------
șoș Going to WDW December '04

Old February 22nd, 2004, 04:53 AM
Gurble

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 03:57:00 GMT, "wendy"
wrote:

I've never flown Qantas so I am bias, but I hated Air New Zealand when we
flew to LA with them. The service was the worst I have ever experienced and
the food was only just edible!
wendy

Interesting. Last time I flew to LA (via AirNZ) the food was actually
great (but the service was crap, as you have said).
Old February 22nd, 2004, 04:56 AM
Brian Harmer

wrote:

I've never flown Qantas so I am bias, but I hated Air New Zealand when we
flew to LA with them. The service was the worst I have ever experienced and
the food was only just edible!
wendy

Interesting. Last time I flew to LA (via AirNZ) the food was actually
great (but the service was crap, as you have said).

I haven't travelled internationally since the great financial
setbacks, but all my prior experience was of superb and friendly
service from Air New Zealand, in comparison with terse offhand
treatment from the jaded staff in Qantas cabins.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 05:05 AM
BTMO

"Brian Harmer" wrote

I haven't travelled internationally since the great financial
setbacks, but all my prior experience was of superb and friendly
service from Air New Zealand, in comparison with terse offhand
treatment from the jaded staff in Qantas cabins.

I have had good and bad experiences on both Qantas and Air NZ. Most of my
recent experience is with Air NZ (airpoints...)

What I have noticed is that the planes don't seem as clean as they once
were, and the audio visual equipment is getting a bit long in the tooth. We
travelled to Melbourne at Christmas time, and my wife couldn't use the
headphones provided in her seat - the jack was cactus.

Still, she didn't really care - she just wanted to sleep all of the way
over.

Cheers,

Brenton

Old February 22nd, 2004, 05:16 AM
nobody

Brian Harmer wrote:
I haven't travelled internationally since the great financial
setbacks, but all my prior experience was of superb and friendly
service from Air New Zealand, in comparison with terse offhand
treatment from the jaded staff in Qantas cabins.

My experience is that Qantas is a fine airline in the air, but prior to
flight, it could stand some improvements.

Air NZ seems to have fine ground service as well as great on-board service and
excellent food.

However, service levels vary from route to route, so one's experience on route
A may not be fully representative of what you'll get on route B.

Someone made a comment about smoking. Haven't both banned smoking system-wide
a long long time ago or do they still have routes that allow smokers ?
Old February 22nd, 2004, 09:35 AM
steve

Brian Harmer wrote:

I haven't travelled internationally since the great financial
setbacks, but all my prior experience was of superb and friendly
service from Air New Zealand, in comparison with terse offhand
treatment from the jaded staff in Qantas cabins.

Up to 9/11 and the Brierley's mess, I'd agree with you.

But after the airline nearly went bust, I did notice a change in the
service. On two trips to Asia - Business Class - the service was fairly
ho-hum compared to what I had gotten used to.

I haven't been on a trip for a while now as I have been dodging them. With
all the post 9/11 carry-on, the whole things has just become too much
hassle to bother with....and more expensive with it.

I'm looking at a trip to the UK and Canada for 3 people....and the airport
security charges are over NZ$1,000 altogether.

Old February 22nd, 2004, 09:32 AM
steve

wrote:

I've never flown Qantas so I am bias, but I hated Air New Zealand when we
flew to LA with them. The service was the worst I have ever experienced
and the food was only just edible!
wendy

Interesting. Last time I flew to LA (via AirNZ) the food was actually
great (but the service was crap, as you have said).

Last time I flew to North America, the whole thing was in a mess after
Brierley's had run the airline into the ground.....and forced the
Government to take it over.

Old February 22nd, 2004, 09:31 AM
steve

wendy wrote:

I've never flown Qantas so I am bias, but I hated Air New Zealand when we
flew to LA with them. The service was the worst I have ever experienced
and the food was only just edible!
wendy

You've never flown United or Air canada, then......