Also SF,, The Slanted Door

Old December 18th, 2007, 11:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
singlemalt

Default Also SF,, The Slanted Door

We have been researching restaurants in SF and keep running across the
Slanted Door. Some on Chowhound say it is a tourist trap nowadays and no SF
people go to it. Any opinions either way, and is the food good, which
ultimately is most important. Thanks, jw

Old December 19th, 2007, 12:45 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

singlemalt wrote on Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:59:20 -0600:

s We have been researching restaurants in SF and keep running
s across the Slanted Door. Some on Chowhound say it is a
s tourist trap nowadays and no SF people go to it. Any
s opinions either way, and is the food good, which ultimately
s is most important. Thanks, jw

I think it's pretty good and not outrageously expensive. I
usually manage to eat there if I can get a reservation for me
and my relatives on my fairly frequent trips to San Francisco.
Did it get a Michelin star or was it just well rated as it is in
Zagat?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old December 19th, 2007, 12:58 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Dec 18, 2:59 pm, "singlemalt" wrote:
We have been researching restaurants in SF and keep running across the
Slanted Door. Some on Chowhound say it is a tourist trap nowadays and no SF
people go to it. Any opinions either way, and is the food good, which
ultimately is most important. Thanks, jw

It's good food for people who are afraid to go to a real Vietnamese
restaurant.
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:37 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ken Blake

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:59:20 -0600, "singlemalt"
wrote:

We have been researching restaurants in SF and keep running across the
Slanted Door. Some on Chowhound say it is a tourist trap nowadays and no SF
people go to it. Any opinions either way, and is the food good, which
ultimately is most important. Thanks, jw

I've eaten there only once, but we had an excellent meal at a fair
price. And I liked the atmosphere, too.

I will definitely return the next time I'm in San Francisco.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Old December 19th, 2007, 03:09 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
singlemalt

"PeterL" wrote in message
On Dec 18, 2:59 pm, "singlemalt" wrote:
We have been researching restaurants in SF and keep running across the
Slanted Door. Some on Chowhound say it is a tourist trap nowadays and no
SF
people go to it. Any opinions either way, and is the food good, which
ultimately is most important. Thanks, jw

It's good food for people who are afraid to go to a real Vietnamese
restaurant.

I understand that it is not authentic Vietnamese food but what is described
as "fusion". The first V. food I ever ate was years ago in SF. We were
staying in a BnB in, I believe, what was referred to as "the avenues". The
lady that ran it told us of a nearby V. restaurant. We ate there and loved
it. Now in Austin , as probably most everywhere, there are plenty of V.
restaurants. If you have a "real" V. place in mind, I would like to know
about it. Thank you.

Old December 19th, 2007, 07:32 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
RVer Don

"singlemalt" wrote in message
We have been researching restaurants in SF and keep running across the
Slanted Door. Some on Chowhound say it is a tourist trap nowadays and no
SF people go to it. Any opinions either way, and is the food good, which
ultimately is most important. Thanks, jw

I like eating there. Good food at reasonable (for SF) prices. We usually
drive to Jack London Square and take the ferry over to the Ferry Building
where they are located.

Don in Tracy, Calif.

Old December 19th, 2007, 12:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

singlemalt wrote:
We have been researching restaurants in SF and keep running across the
Slanted Door. Some on Chowhound say it is a tourist trap nowadays and no SF
people go to it. Any opinions either way, and is the food good, which
ultimately is most important. Thanks, jw

Having heard it was good, I dropt in there t'look at the menu. It was
intolerably noisy and the prices were extremely high. The dishes I saw
were very nice looking but that doesn't mean they tasted good. I've
not been back and have no intention to eat there.

We have a great many good Viet-Namese restaurants from the cheap to
expensive. I would not, however, make a choice based on Chowhound or
Zagat. I would seek advice at ba.food or Yelp.com.

My suggestion is to go the the place that has a high rating and a
price you deem reasonable.

The last time I mentioned what's been called "the best Viet-Namese
restaurant in the world" on UseNet, I got flamed for weeks because
it's always crowded and we don't need no stinkin' tourists gettin' in
our way.
A San Franciscan who says: "You serve it, I'll eat it!"
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
http://geocities.com/touringsfo/ --------- IClast at GMail com
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
"singlemalt" wrote:

We have been researching restaurants in SF and keep running across the
Slanted Door. Some on Chowhound say it is a tourist trap nowadays and no SF
people go to it. Any opinions either way, and is the food good, which
ultimately is most important. Thanks, jw

I suggest you live life on the edge. Try eating there, then you will
know if its good or not. Where food is concerned, everyone has their own
unique taste. You may love the food at the Slanted Edge, someone else
may hate it. Both of you would be right.
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

singlemalt wrote on Tue, 18 Dec 2007 20:05:01 -0600:

s "PeterL" wrote in message
?? On Dec 18, 2:59 pm, "singlemalt"
wrote:
?? We have been researching restaurants in SF and keep
?? running across the Slanted Door. Some on Chowhound say it
?? is a tourist trap nowadays and no SF people go to it. Any
?? opinions either way, and is the food good,
?? which ultimately is most important. Thanks, jw
??
?? It's good food for people who are afraid to go to a real
?? Vietnamese restaurant.

I don't really think of it as a Vietnamese restaurant;
definitely fusion, IMHO. The Betelnut (or something like that ?)
in the Marina area is another that's quite good.