ACE Auto Rental & Renting a cellphone in NZ

Old October 28th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Chris Russo

Default ACE Auto Rental & Renting a cellphone in NZ

Hi There,

I'm going to be spending two and a half weeks in NZ next month (making
my way from Christchurch to Auckland via the scenic route...) and I'm
trying to book a rental car. I've found some OK deals from Budget and
the other majors (Avis, Hertz, etc.), but the best deal that I've
found by far is from ACE Auto Rental. Does anyone have any experience
with them, or any tips in general?

Also, I was going to rent a mobile phone while I was there to call
ahead to the next town and such (and receive incoming calls from home
in the case of an emergency). Any tips on prepaid cellular operators
where I can get a reasonably priced prepaid mobile?

Thanks in advance! If you want to email me privately, just remove teh
DONTSPAM from my address.

-Chris
Old October 28th, 2004, 04:54 AM
TP

Yes, I rented from ACE a few times and never had any trouble with any of
their cars (touch wood!). But obviously u got to watch the insurance excess
(i always get my travel insurance to cover the excess) and their cars r not
as new as avis/budget/hertz. also got to watch pick up n drop of times as
their office isnt at airport airport n doesnt open 24/7.

dont rent a mobile phone mate, just bring yours n buy a prepaid card for $30
there! if u rent just make sure u dont hav to pay for incoming calls n that
the call rates r resonable. vodafone prepay gives u like 89cents a minute
anytime, or a 1.xx daytime 50cents night time call rate, u can pik whichever
u like. callin the main countries they listed for the same rate too! u can
buy these prepay sim packs at most large newsagents.

hav fun!

Old October 28th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Nigel Marx

Of course buying a SIM card when they get here assumes they have a GSM-type
phone which is not always the case.

Regards,

Nigel in NZ

P.S. I have also heard good things about Ace.

Old October 28th, 2004, 08:33 AM
A Mate

Used Ace once - they were fine!!

Don't rent a phone - it's less expensive to buy a cheapie there (triband and
dual band gsm phones just require a sim card!).

Remember you won't pay for incoming calls in NZ (or anywhere else much
except USA or Canada) with a mobile phone. Callback is a great idea, in
conjunction with your mobile phone, particularly for people from North
America. Google - there are several comparable providers.