restaurants

Old April 17th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Henk en Gonnie

Default restaurants

Hello here a item from the Netherlands,
We (a group of 5) comming in september to youre nice country...
I looking for good restaurants in New York ,Washington ,Orlando, Key West
and Frt Lauderdale....
i now it's a lot i ask ..but can you help me ?
price ? fare...not sky high.......
In New York please a restaurant where i can celibrate my 30 year off
merriage... ( yep still in love....)

gr Henk

Old April 17th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Keeger

"Henk en Gonnie" wrote:

Hello here a item from the Netherlands,
We (a group of 5) comming in september to youre nice country...
I looking for good restaurants in New York ,Washington ,Orlando, Key West
and Frt Lauderdale....
i now it's a lot i ask ..but can you help me ?
price ? fare...not sky high.......
In New York please a restaurant where i can celibrate my 30 year off
merriage... ( yep still in love....)
gr Henk

Congratulations!
I've always gotten good recommendations from the message boards on
Chowhounds.com.

http://www.chowhound.com/main.html
http://www.seeyageorge.com
http://www.regimechangeusa.org
http://www.jonfrederickband.com
Old April 17th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Brian K

On 04/17/2004 5:37 AM Henk en Gonnie wrote:

Hello here a item from the Netherlands,
We (a group of 5) comming in september to youre nice country...
I looking for good restaurants in New York ,Washington ,Orlando, Key West
and Frt Lauderdale....
i now it's a lot i ask ..but can you help me ?
price ? fare...not sky high.......
In New York please a restaurant where i can celibrate my 30 year off
merriage... ( yep still in love....)

gr Henk

Congratulations on your upcoming 30th. I hope that you plan to be in
the US for a while. New York City (Manhattan), Washington DC, Orlando
Fl , Fort Lauderdale, Fl and Key West are a lot of cities to cover in a
short time. The US is more spread out than Europe.

That said, my personal feeling is you should celebrate your 30th in all
the cities you visit, especially Key West.

NEW YORK: I rarely go into Manhattan to dine even though I live a short
way outside the city. When I am in the City, it's for other reasons:
art galleries, music. So it's not fine dining but more snack oriented.

New York City Good Snack Places in Greenwich Village: Cafe Dante -
MacDougal St is one of the city's oldest italian espresso Cafes.

Cafe Sha Sha - A little more trendy on Hudson St. Attracts a young
gay/straight crowd late at night.

Szazarac House - Cajun Style dishes - Ok, this one I'll eat dinner at.
Has all weather enclosed sidewalk tables, a lively neighborhood bar,
fire place and killer Seafood Jambalaya.

WASHINGTON DC - has a Thai neighborhood with Thai restaurants. All
family run, all good.

ORLANDO FL- I have a thing about theme parks; I don't like them. I
avoid the land of The Mouse.

FT. LAUDERDALE FL- Has all kinds of food and lots of seafood places.

The Quarterdeck - A local chain, near the FL Beach Marina. A great pub
with tasty food. My favorite is the Catch Sandwich. It's the catch of
the day made any way you want it: grilled, blackened, broiled or fried.
They also make a fairy good Conch Chowder.

Casablanca Cafe - one block south of the Sheraton Yankee Trader -
Sebastian St and A1A. This restaurant has some nice beach views. It's
space resembles a Spanish Moroccan home. The upper level is reached via
winding stair case. There are tables for two out on an intimate
balcony. The food is eclectic, always interesting, always new and
always delicious. Deserts rival main courses for the palate. I've been
tempted to order a desert first then have the main course. Yes, it's
that good.

Cap's Place - almost in Pompano Beach. Pres. Harry Truman ate there and
told the owner "Don't change a thing!" They haven't It's still the
same ramshackle group of buildings on an island in the middle of the
Inland Waterway. You can only get to Cap's Place by restaurant supplied
shuttle boat. This one is definitely for romantic dinners, arriving by
boat in the full moonlight on a balmy Florida night. The house special,
Snapper Soup is a real winner as an appitiser. Gulf Lobster is costly
but well worth it as Cap's gives good value on the dollar. Other
seafood dishes range from blackened grouper or dolphin (not Flipper).
Requires auto transportation, rental car or taxi to reach shuttle boat.

KEY WEST - For seafood you really can't go wrong in Key West. For
landlubbers there are choices too.

Meteor Barbecue is probably the best you can get for barbecue.

Established and reliable along Key West Bight:

A&B Lobster House - Upscale dining. Romantic outside balcony
overlooking the Gulf.

Alfonso's - Underneath A&B Lobster House - Good seafood at a lower price.

Schooner Warf Bar - Great Raw Bar with live R&B music.

Turtle Kraals - Once a turtle soup factory. Tex-Mex food and spicy seafood.

Half Moon Raw Bar - Menus are on blackboards posted above tables.
Popular with locals and tourists. Casual atmosphere. Grilled Lobster
sandwich at lunch time when in season is great.

On Duval Street- Hogs Breath Saloon. Good food, good music, good drinks.

Sloppy Joes - Go there to say you've been there. Tourist trap; not what
it used to be.

Margaritaville - Put some money in Jimmy Buffett's pocket. Good 'Ritas,
music. Food is not so great.

On Duval and Green:

Iguana Cafe - open 24/7. 'Gaiter Burgers, Conch Chowder and other South
Florida eats. Can be good can be bad this restaurant has difficulty
handling cruise ship crowds. If a ship has been in town give them a
chance to recoup and clean up before trying.

Fausto's - not a place to eat but a place that has good things to eat.
It's a local supermarket with everything from Lliadro Pieces and
champagne to Lay's Potato Chips.

White Street Deli - cr White Street and Flemming - It's a basic deli
nothing great here except. Early in the am this elderly Cuban lady
brings in home made Flan. If you're up at 4 am there's nothing like
fresh made Flan.

Bo's Fishwagon - nothing touristy about this place. Good inexpensive
fish the way locals like it.

Captain Runnaground -

located in Garrison Bight, that's right IN IT. Capt. Runnaground is a
floating seafood place in a boat that's been on the bottom of the bight
thanks to hurricanes more than once. Every time it sinks they refloat
her and clean her up again. Captain Runnaground is a Sports Bar and
seafood place. Their motto is "You catch 'em, we'll cook 'em." Popular
with local sports fishermen who have boats docked in Garrison Bight.

Kelly's Bar, Grill & Microbrewery - Whitehead St, near Audubon House.

Actress Kelly McGillis lives in Key West. When she isn't working on a
film you can find her at the helm of Kelly's. It's American style
food. Lunch is best as you don't always need a reservation. Kelly's
All American Hamburger is a good value for the dollar. You get almost a
pound of hamburger.

Key West Key Lime Pie Factory - Elizabeth Street a block after VFW
club. This is where almost all the Key Lime pies on restaurant menus
come from. If you have a refrig in your room, buy a few slices a
little above cost and save them for later.

If you wanted to eat your way through Key West, it might take longer
than 6 months.

Conch Express - not food but handy. Conch Express is a beach cruiser
bike rental shop. Unlike others who require you to come to
them....Conch Express will come to you. At no extra cost, they will
deliver and pick-up your bike from your Bed & Breakfast or hotel. Once
you are in Key West a car becomes unnecessary. Bicycles and scooters
are everywhere.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old April 17th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Miguel Cruz

Brian K wrote:
WASHINGTON DC - has a Thai neighborhood with Thai restaurants. All
family run, all good.

Please tell me where!

I know of Vietnamese and Korean neighborhoods in the suburbs with good
restaurants, and of course Chinatown (such as it is), but in my 5 years here
I've never had the good fortune to come across a Thai neighborhood,
particularly in the ethnically-cleansed (save for Mt Pleasant) District
itself.

miguel
Old April 18th, 2004, 02:06 AM
Keith

Well, this may be horribly obvious, but I'm somewhat of a master.

New York's deli's are probably some of the best in the US. I really enjoy
stopping at just about any deli in midtown manhattan, and having a big roast
beef sandwich on fresh bread, etc. Yumm!

In New York, there is Nick and Stef's, which we've found to have
consistently good food, nice wine list, etc.

http://www.nickandstefs.com/

It might be a chain, but its good food. Of course, it's a steakhouse, so if
you don't like beef or seafood, there are probably better places.

The steaks are great. They have a table-side prepared caesar-salad which is
superb. I also seem to remember that they have some laser-searing of either
mashed potatoes or the steaks. I forget Something high-tech and cool,
however.

For prices, it's reasonable given New York's high prices. Prices are given
on their website, but entrees are in the neighborhood of $25-$30.

Keith

.. .

Old April 18th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Pan

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 09:37:31 GMT, "Henk en Gonnie"
wrote:

Hello here a item from the Netherlands,
We (a group of 5) comming in september to youre nice country...
I looking for good restaurants in New York ,Washington ,Orlando, Key West
and Frt Lauderdale....
i now it's a lot i ask ..but can you help me ?
price ? fare...not sky high.......
In New York please a restaurant where i can celibrate my 30 year off
merriage... ( yep still in love....)

Congratulations!

I may be able to help you with New York, but please help me by telling
me what cuisine(s) you're looking for and how much you want to spend.
I have no idea what "sky high" means to you.

Also, you might want to check the New York forum of www.egullet.com.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old April 19th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Brian K

On 04/17/2004 5:11 PM Miguel Cruz wrote:

Brian K wrote:

WASHINGTON DC - has a Thai neighborhood with Thai restaurants. All
family run, all good.

Please tell me where!

I know of Vietnamese and Korean neighborhoods in the suburbs with good
restaurants, and of course Chinatown (such as it is), but in my 5 years here
I've never had the good fortune to come across a Thai neighborhood,
particularly in the ethnically-cleansed (save for Mt Pleasant) District
itself.

miguel

Oops! My gaffe, I meant Vietnamese. Really good Thai restaurants are
in Plainfield, NJ of all places and Tri Mi Thai (for real) in Fort
Lauderdale and Key West.

--
________

Old April 19th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Frank F. Matthews

I guess that if you want both you northerners will just have to visit
here in Houston. FFM