OT - Free Canadian Healthcare

Old February 28th, 2008, 08:13 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mike O'Sullivan

Default OT - Free Canadian Healthcare

sharx35 wrote:

I'm a liberal and a member of the ACLU and used to admire Canada in many
ways but I did not realize that it was a maternalistic police state. I can
see having to pay income tax on the value of employer-provided health
insurance but not to be "forbidden"!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Um, however, warts and all, given my druthers, I still prefer the Canadian
system. I just can't see myself paying thousands a year for coverage, which
is what I would have to do if I moved to the States. We DO have waiting list
problems in Canada, for some procedures, in some cities..but slowly, but
surely, the problems are being addressed. I know, not much consolation if
it's YOUR relative waiting for a heart transplant!

But presumably it's not illegal to pay for private treatment, assuming
you can afford it.
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mike O'Sullivan

paula wrote:

Oh, we can buy it; anyone will take our money. Just that the hospitals
are government run and don't recognize private insurance in general,
although one can have private insurance for a private room ( when
available), but not for procedures to be done.
We are all 'equal' :-)

Surely there are private hospitals as well?
Old February 28th, 2008, 07:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
paula

Mike O'Sullivan wrote:

paula wrote:

Oh, we can buy it; anyone will take our money. Just that the hospitals

are government run and don't recognize private insurance in general,
although one can have private insurance for a private room ( when
available), but not for procedures to be done.
We are all 'equal' :-)

Surely there are private hospitals as well?

no, there are not; not allowed by law.
no 'private' doctors either

Old February 28th, 2008, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gabby

"Mike O'Sullivan" wrote in message
paula wrote:

Oh, we can buy it; anyone will take our money. Just that the hospitals
are government run and don't recognize private insurance in general,
although one can have private insurance for a private room ( when
available), but not for procedures to be done.
We are all 'equal' :-)

Surely there are private hospitals as well?

One that I know of and it was around before medicare came into being. It's
Toronto's world-famous Shouldice Clinic, a hospital that specializes in
hernia repair.

Then we have things like LASIX, cosmetic surgery and abortion clinics.

Gabby

Old February 28th, 2008, 07:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

On 2008-02-27 12:47:46 -0500, (John Kulp) said:

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:13:15 GMT, "sharx35"
wrote:

In Canada, we are forbidden to buy private health insurance covering
procedures primarily covered under the Canada Health Act. We are only
allowed to buy coverage for essentially NON-covered items, such as
ambulance, drugs, physio, chiro, emergencies experienced WHILE out of
Canada.

I'm a liberal and a member of the ACLU and used to admire Canada in
many
ways but I did not realize that it was a maternalistic police state. I
can
see having to pay income tax on the value of employer-provided health
insurance but not to be "forbidden"!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Um, however, warts and all, given my druthers, I still prefer the
Canadian
system. I just can't see myself paying thousands a year for coverage,
which
is what I would have to do if I moved to the States. We DO have waiting
list
problems in Canada, for some procedures, in some cities..but slowly, but
surely, the problems are being addressed. I know, not much consolation
if
it's YOUR relative waiting for a heart transplant!

So you don't pay taxes in Canada then?

OH. Right. It's only OK if you don't have to pay taxes.

Universe to Kulp: just what do you think taxes are for?

As a income tax consultant I KNOW how to minimize taxes and haven't had to
pay Canadian income tax since 2000. So, effectively, my basic health care
premiums are NIL.

Old February 28th, 2008, 07:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

sharx35 wrote:

[...]

If that private treatment is for NON schedule services such as cosmetic
surgery, LASIX eye surgery..., even some cataract surgeries. Most other
private medicine in Canada is illegal but the federal govt. turns a blind
eye to lots of it, especially in Quebec. There is nothing preventing us
Canadians from going to the U.S. for treatment and paying for it OURSELVES.

Old February 28th, 2008, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
John Kulp

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:31:51 GMT, "sharx35"

[...]

Well, aren't you just the great parasite living off your fellow
Canadians. Your parents must be proud.
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

wrote:

[...]

If one can *legally* avoid taxes, this is NOT a bad thing.

Old February 29th, 2008, 06:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mike O'Sullivan

sharx35 wrote:

Well, aren't you just the great parasite living off your fellow
Canadians. Your parents must be proud.

If one can *legally* avoid taxes, this is NOT a bad thing.

Exactly. In English law, avoidance is legal, evasion is not.
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
John Kane

paula wrote:

http://www.shouldice.com/

--