Milan to Bucharest by train?

Old December 4th, 2015, 04:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

Default Milan to Bucharest by train?

"Happy.Hobo" wrote in message
On 12-03-2015 11:23, Paul Aubrin wrote:
+ 24 hours!! Arrives next day.

Envo

That's 33 hours, and it's a bus, not a train.
É 33 ore, sul bus, non sul treno.

30-35 hours with several legs of train, or 33 hours in the same bus. You
would have a lot of time to see the landscape. I once traveled from
Venice to Sibiu by car, I needed two days.

True and worth considering. However, I did say I preferred train; I did
find longer (forty hours) trip with only one or two changes, and Envo
still got the "24 hours" wrong, presumably because he/she only looked at
the dates.

I decided to take Rick Steve's advice, saving costs by sleeping an night
trains and thereby freeing up days to see things in cities between trains.

Someone carried that idea a step further:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/08/22/how-one-german-millennial-chose-to-live-on-trains-rather-than-pay-rent/

"Müller frequently travels late at night, although she tries to sleep at the
apartments of relatives or friends"

That hardly counts as living on the train

it's called freeloading on you friends in my book

tim

Old December 4th, 2015, 08:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

I decided to take Rick Steve's advice, saving costs by sleeping
on night trains and thereby freeing up days to see things in cities
between trains.

Someone carried that idea a step further:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/08/22/how-one-german-millennial-chose-to-live-on-trains-rather-than-pay-rent/
"Müller frequently travels late at night, although she tries to sleep
at the apartments of relatives or friends"

That hardly counts as living on the train
it's called freeloading on you friends in my book

I read somewhere that Giuseppe Mazzini at one point had free
travel on the Italian railways because he worked for them, so
he didn't bother having any fixed accommodation. (I can't
find any corroboration of that).

If you had Mazzini drop in on you, I'd think doing his laundry
would be the least of your problems.

Old December 5th, 2015, 01:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
W. Wesley Groleau

On 12-04-2015 10:21, tim..... wrote:
Someone carried that idea a step further:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/08/22/how-one-german-millennial-chose-to-live-on-trains-rather-than-pay-rent/

"Müller frequently travels late at night, although she tries to sleep at
the apartments of relatives or friends"

That hardly counts as living on the train

it's called freeloading on you friends in my book

Yeah, I noticed that, too. I read about another person doing something
similar but _not_ "freeloading" for sleep. I forget whether it said
anything about laundry.

I live on the road, but not on trains. I pay (or work) for lodging. Or
I find an out-of-the-way place to pitch my tent.

--
Wes Groleau
Old December 5th, 2015, 01:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Happy.Hobo

On 12-04-2015 10:10, Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015, Tom P wrote:

Close enough. MXP and BGY are each about fifty kilometers from the
center of Milan,

I wouldn't call 50km "close". Frankfurt International is 14km from the
city center, Dusseldorf International is just 10km from the center.

Linate is indeed about 10 km from the centre of Milan.

It is true that BGY and MXP are the same distance, but the former has
only coach via motorway direct connection, the latter has trains (*).
But nothing beats Linate which has urban bus and affordable taxi.

Fifty, or ten? I thought I measured fifty on the map. Either one is
feasible for my preferred transportation: bicycle. Besides, I don't need
to go to city center. I can wander around anywhere and have a good time
just looking at the houses and buildings and chatting with people. Did
that for a whole week in Van, Turkey.
Old December 9th, 2015, 09:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015, Happy.Hobo wrote:

Close enough. MXP and BGY are each about fifty kilometers from the
center of Milan,

Linate is indeed about 10 km from the centre of Milan.

Fifty, or ten?

Malpensa (MXP) is fifty (46 actually), Linate (LIN) is ten.
That's why Linate has not been closed yet, it is sooo comfortable !

I don't need to go to city center. I can wander around anywhere and
have a good time just looking at the houses and buildings and chatting
with people.

If you live in the city, you need to go to the city.
If you are a tourist interested in art, sights, museums or shopping
you'd better go to the city.

There is hardly anything interesting within 10 km from Malpensa (except
perhaps river Ticino and surrounding canals). However lake Maggiore is
not far. It is different for Orio (BGY), because it is the airport of
Bergamo, and Bergamo's Upper City is really a nice place, and then there
are lots of hills and mountains.

May be chatting with people would be rather difficult if you do not know
bergamask :-)
Old December 9th, 2015, 10:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Happy.Hobo

On 12-09-2015 03:44, Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015, Happy.Hobo wrote:
Close enough. MXP and BGY are each about fifty kilometers from
the
center of Milan,

Linate is indeed about 10 km from the centre of Milan.

Fifty, or ten?

Malpensa (MXP) is fifty (46 actually), Linate (LIN) is ten.
That's why Linate has not been closed yet, it is sooo comfortable !

Oh, LIN didn't show up in my searches. It is a nice spot. But that
doesn't help if the train or cheap flight doesn't go there.

I don't need to go to city center. I can wander around anywhere and
have a good time just looking at the houses and buildings and chatting
with people.

If you live in the city, you need to go to the city.

I don't live in Milano. If I did, I likely wouldn't be asking questions
about it here.

If you are a tourist interested in art, sights, museums or shopping
you'd better go to the city.

I REPEAT: I can wander around anywhere and have a good time just looking
at the houses and buildings and chatting with people.

There is hardly anything interesting within 10 km from Malpensa (except
perhaps river Ticino and surrounding canals). However lake Maggiore is

I just used "street view" to roam around. Lots of interesting buildings,
a couple of huge parks and lots of small ones. If I did want to go to
the center, it's about three hours by bicycle from MXP to il Duomo.

May be chatting with people would be rather difficult if you do not know
bergamask :-)

My Spanish allowed me to pass the A1 test in Italian without prior
study. I realize that is more the Tuscan dialect, but I imagine I could
get by.

--
Wes Groleau
Old December 10th, 2015, 12:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

[Malpensa]
May be chatting with people would be rather difficult if you
do not know bergamask :-)

My Spanish allowed me to pass the A1 test in Italian without prior
study. I realize that is more the Tuscan dialect, but I imagine
I could get by.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergamasque_dialect

Studying Catalan would have been a lot more help. Bergamasque
is part of the nameless extended dialect-family-cum-language
that extends from the Balearics to northern Italy. It's not
a variant of Italian.

Old December 10th, 2015, 04:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Happy.Hobo

On 12-09-2015 18:05, Jack Campin wrote:
[Malpensa]
May be chatting with people would be rather difficult if you
do not know bergamask :-)

My Spanish allowed me to pass the A1 test in Italian without prior
study. I realize that is more the Tuscan dialect, but I imagine
I could get by.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergamasque_dialect

Studying Catalan would have been a lot more help. Bergamasque
is part of the nameless extended dialect-family-cum-language
that extends from the Balearics to northern Italy. It's not
a variant of Italian.

Well, I can read Catalan at least 50% comprehension. But your reference
suggests (1) I'm not likely to meet a speaker of Bergamasque near MXP or
LIN and (2) if I do, it's extremely unlikely he/she is monolingual.

(3) Did I mention I _love_ learning languages?

Old December 10th, 2015, 09:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Wed, 9 Dec 2015, Martin wrote:

Not when it is foggy. Linate is next to a lake a former pre-war
seaplane base. Lakes tend to get foggy in winter.

Idroscalo ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idroscalo

Not a real lake, it was dug out using some abandoned quarries filled (*)
with water. There are a lot like that nearby (Redecesio, Malaspina) and
elsewhere (Parco delle Cave).

(*) filled NATURALLY with water, the water plane is rather close to the
surface in most of the Padan Plain. There is a belt (wide some 10-15 km
in N-S, more or less centered at the latitude of Milan) where the water
edge is so close that there are (or were) natural sources (called
risorgive or fontanili). The northern part of the plain is drier since
the ground is impermeable (clay).

These (and not the Idroscalo) are the main source of fog all over the
plain.

Somebody tells me the situation is like that also near Munich, where of
course the N-S arrangement is reversed. Impermeable in the S (close to
the Alps) and water coming out in the N.

Incidentally, if the OP likes to cycle, he can see a risorgiva not far
from Linate, Riserva naturale Sorgenti della Muzzetta, Strada Vicinale
del Duca, Rodano.
Old December 10th, 2015, 10:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Wed, 9 Dec 2015, Happy.Hobo wrote:

Studying Catalan would have been a lot more help. Bergamasque is
part of the nameless extended dialect-family-cum-language that
extends from the Balearics to northern Italy. It's not a variant of
Italian.

Almost no so-called "italian dialects" (more properly "dialects of
Italy") are "variants of Italian" (but perhaps the Tuscan vernaculars)
but languages of their own.

(1) I'm not likely to meet a speaker of Bergamasque near MXP or LIN
and (2) if I do, it's extremely unlikely he/she is monolingual.

No, they cluster around BGY.

There is a spectrum of dialects in the Eastern Lombard (provinces of
Bergamo and Brescia) which are rather distinct from the rest of
Lombardy, and have a fame of being harsher (*). With variations, the
dialect in the plain is softer, the one in the mountains is harsher.

Contrary to a place like Milan where dialect is almost extinct, it is
popular in Bergamo not only among older people.

(*) there is this story of a milanese dog and a bergamasque dog meeting
on a bridge over Adda. The milanese dog holds a steak in his mouth. The
bergamasque dog asks "where are you from ?", the other replies "de
Milaaan" ... and the steak falls off his mouth, and the bergamasque dog
snatches it. The other tries the same trick "where are you from ?", but
the replies is "de Birrgum" with closed teeth :-)

(actually it should be "Berghem")