Purchase Virgin Train tickets online from US address?

Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default Purchase Virgin Train tickets online from US address?

Theo Markettos wrote:

In uk.transport.london David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)
wrote:
www.nationalexpress.com will allow you to buy a ticket from abroad- and
even though they don't run that route, they will sell tickets on it.

Make sure you get a train ticket, not a bus ticket! (They do both).
http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/ is the train booking site.

Fair point- though it's clear enough on the website!

I don't think they'll post you the tickets, but you can select to collect
them from a machine at the station. Take the credit card you used to book
them with you as you'll probably need to use that in the machine.

Yes- they say that credit card is the only option if you're outside the
UK. Just as a data point, SNCF had no problem posting our TGV tickets to
the UK... for free. (Some UK train websites post tickets for free (e.g.
Virgin) some don't- some even charge silly credit/debit card charges now
too.)

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:14 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

S Viemeister wrote:
wrote:

On Aug 22, 3:38 pm, AES wrote:

Anyone know how to purchase Virgin Train tickets (London-Holyhead)
online from a U.S. location?

When I try to do so on any of Virgin Train's ".uk" URLs, the "Address"
portion of the registration and booking page stays stubbornly greyed
out, and won't let me complete the registration or the booking.

They are for me too, from a UK site. So I think this has nothing to do
with you being in the US.

You could try booking through:

http://nationalrail.co.uk/

I don't know if they require the buyer to be in the UK though. I also
sometimes find that they are a little more expensive that going direct
to the provider (Virgin Trains in your case).

Hm, seems like a bug - you might want to let Virgin Trains webmaster
know?

I ran into a similar problem this Spring - I'd always been able to book
online, but found that this time I had to phone. I checked everything
online, so was able to book fairly quickly, which kept the long-distance
cost to a minimum.

Yep, I know what you mean. My carrier, Packet8, would charge me 3 cents
per minute. Man, that's almost $2 per hour to call the UK from
California. I could buy 1/2 a gallon of gas with that much money.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

AES wrote:

Anyone know how to purchase Virgin Train tickets (London-Holyhead)
online from a U.S. location?

When I try to do so on any of Virgin Train's ".uk" URLs, the "Address"
portion of the registration and booking page stays stubbornly greyed
out, and won't let me complete the registration or the booking.

If only there was a newsgroup dealing with traveling in the UK, because
rec.travel.AIR isn't it.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air

mrtravel wrote:

S Viemeister wrote:
wrote:

On Aug 22, 3:38 pm, AES wrote:

[...]

Even for an 0845/0870 number? Most US low-cost phone companies charge
extra for them- usually mobile rates. I don't think Virgin offer
landline alternatives...

That said, 3 cents seems a bit expensive for calling a UK landline from
the US. I pay just under 1 cent (1p) the other pay around.

Old August 24th, 2008, 05:43 AM posted to rec.travel.air
AES

Anyone know how to purchase Virgin Train tickets (London-Holyhead)
online from a U.S. location?

When I try to do so on any of Virgin Train's ".uk" URLs, the "Address"
portion of the registration and booking page stays stubbornly greyed
out, and won't let me complete the registration or the booking.

You could try booking through:

http://nationalrail.co.uk/

This worked for me (with a U.S. American Express card).