what to do with tickets i can no longer use?

Old September 17th, 2008, 08:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air
yawnmoth

Default what to do with tickets i can no longer use?

I bought 2x non-refundable one-way tickets for me and a friend of mine
for mid-November from American Airlines so that we might help another
friend move to where we're at (we're taking turns driving). Only
problem is... the friend we were going to help move has been told
that they now need to move in the beginning of October.

Since I can't go, then, I'm thinking I'll just buy a single one-way
ticket for the other friend. The problem is... what do I do with the
mid-November tickets? They cost about $230.00. To change one of them
to the beginning of October would result in a $250.00 change fee. ie.
it'd probably be cheaper for me just to buy new tickets.

Any ideas?
Old September 17th, 2008, 09:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

ticket for the other friend. The problem is... what do I do with the
mid-November tickets? They cost about $230.00. To change one of them
to the beginning of October would result in a $250.00 change fee. ie.
it'd probably be cheaper for me just to buy new tickets.

Really? The change fee is usually more like $100. What's the city pair
and date and fare, so we can look up the actual rules?

Old September 17th, 2008, 09:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air
yawnmoth

On Sep 17, 3:28*pm, John Levine wrote:
ticket for the other friend. *The problem is... *what do I do with the
mid-November tickets? *They cost about $230.00. *To change one of them
to the beginning of October would result in a $250.00 change fee. *ie.
it'd probably be cheaper for me just to buy new tickets.

Really? *The change fee is usually more like $100. *What's the city pair
and date and fare, so we can look up the actual rules?

AUS to JFK, with a layover in DFW.

Anyway, the $250.00 figure is based on something I was told when going
from AUS to LHR. If the change rates are variable, however... that's
a bit different. The tickets are Economy Super Saver...
Old September 17th, 2008, 09:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

ticket for the other friend. *The problem is... *what do I do with the
mid-November tickets? *They cost about $230.00. *To change one of them
to the beginning of October would result in a $250.00 change fee. *ie.
it'd probably be cheaper for me just to buy new tickets.

Really? *The change fee is usually more like $100. *What's the city pair
and date and fare, so we can look up the actual rules?

AUS to JFK, with a layover in DFW.

Anyway, the $250.00 figure is based on something I was told when going
from AUS to LHR. If the change rates are variable, however... that's
a bit different. The tickets are Economy Super Saver...

Looks to me like the change fee is $150, so you've got about $80 to
apply to another ticket.

On the other hand, in early October, Delta and Jetblue both have $169
nonstops from Austin to JFK, and American's cheapest one-stop is about
$280, so it still looks like you're better off buying a new ticket.
It's still worth calling AA, you might be able to get the $80 as a
credit you can apply to a ticket you buy for another trip.

Old September 18th, 2008, 07:21 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

yawnmoth wrote:

I bought 2x non-refundable one-way tickets for me and a friend of mine
for mid-November from American Airlines so that we might help another
friend move to where we're at (we're taking turns driving). Only
problem is... the friend we were going to help move has been told
that they now need to move in the beginning of October.

Since I can't go, then, I'm thinking I'll just buy a single one-way
ticket for the other friend. The problem is... what do I do with the
mid-November tickets? They cost about $230.00. To change one of them
to the beginning of October would result in a $250.00 change fee. ie.
it'd probably be cheaper for me just to buy new tickets.

Any ideas?

The normal change fee for discount tickets for recent ticket puchases on
AA is $150. Before that it was $100. And, not too long ago it was $50.
So, $250 would be high. It sounds like there might be a fare difference
in addition to the standard change fee. I don't believe the change fee
is $250 for a $230 ticket, when the current standard change fee is $150.

It sounds like a new ticket might cost more than the $230 you spent for
the original ticket. You told us how much it would cost to change a
ticket, but you didn't tell us how much a new ticket would cost.
I suspect paying the change fee might be less out of pocket. But you
left the new ticket price out of your post.
Old September 18th, 2008, 07:23 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

John Levine wrote:

ticket for the other friend. The problem is... what do I do with the
mid-November tickets? They cost about $230.00. To change one of them
to the beginning of October would result in a $250.00 change fee. ie.
it'd probably be cheaper for me just to buy new tickets.

Really? The change fee is usually more like $100. What's the city pair
and date and fare, so we can look up the actual rules?

For recent purchases, the fee on AA is now $150, but it goes by when you
bought the tickets.