Securing Visa for Angola

Old August 15th, 2008, 08:31 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Sapphyre

Default Securing Visa for Angola

Does anyone here have any experience successfully securing a visa from
Angola? I've been looking into it, but they are very strict on their
requirement.

With Tanzania and Kenya, I'm not worried at all about my visa
application because I figure the chances of being accepted are
reasonably good if I have all the documentation. Angola wants proof of
funds (not a problem), a letter of invitation (I might be able to get
that from someone who lives there, not an Angolan native, but that's
okay). They also want return/onward plane ticket, and proof of visa
for the next country i'm going to. I don't need a visa for the next
country I'm going to because I'll be leaving Africa at that point and
returning home via the EU.

With the plane ticket, if I book my ticket to leave from Luanda, then
I'm really stuck in a bad place if they deny my visa because my ticket
home will be useless. Someone may suggest I buy refundable tickets,
but I generally purchase on expedia for good rates. I'm not sure if I
booked through the airline direct (South African Airways) if they
would let me change the location of my departure should things not
work out.

Would like advice. Never had to get a visa to travel. Most seem to be
pretty straightfoward but Angola has thrown me for a loop. For one, I
can't get it at the border upon arrival at all (unlike every other
country on my itinerary), so it must be approved in advance.

Thanks,
S.
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:02 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Gerald Oliver Swift

"Sapphyre" wrote in message
[...]

Seems pretty straight forward applying for an Angolan visa in the UK.
See http://www.angola.org.uk/visa_ordinary.htm
No different in fact than applying for a Russian visa.

Gerry

Old August 16th, 2008, 10:34 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Sapphyre

On Aug 15, 4:02*pm, "Gerald Oliver Swift" wrote:
Seems pretty straight forward applying for an Angolan visa in the UK.
Seehttp://www.angola.org.uk/visa_ordinary.htm
No different in fact than applying for a Russian visa.

I'm in Canada, but I can't imagine that makes much of a difference.
You're right to compare it to a Russian visa as they both have the
same letter of invitation requirements. That's one thing I'm a little
concerned on, does that mean someone I know who lives there can simply
invite me? Even though I will stay at one of the best hotels (or
should I say, one of the only hotels in Luanda). The only other way I
can see getting the letter of invitation is to join some kind of tour.
I'll consider it, but it's bound to be prohibitively expensive. I've
already been looking at tours within Namibia and to Botswana/Zimbabwe.
I was hoping only to spend three days in Luanda before flying home.

I guess what you're saying is Russian visa has the same problems, you
need exiting plane ticket (they might require an entry one too to
confirm your arrival date). I never went to Russia because of the
complications with getting a visa and booking travel there. I'm hoping
that I won't have to pass up Angola for the same reason. Anyone ever
hear of someone being refused the visa after they meet all the
requirements and apply? (And purchased plane tickets).

Cheers,
S.
Old August 17th, 2008, 08:17 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Gerald Oliver Swift

"Sapphyre" wrote in message
On Aug 15, 4:02 pm, "Gerald Oliver Swift" wrote:
Seems pretty straight forward applying for an Angolan visa in the UK.
Seehttp://www.angola.org.uk/visa_ordinary.htm
No different in fact than applying for a Russian visa.

I'm in Canada, but I can't imagine that makes much of a difference.
You're right to compare it to a Russian visa as they both have the
same letter of invitation requirements. That's one thing I'm a little
concerned on, does that mean someone I know who lives there can simply
invite me? Even though I will stay at one of the best hotels (or
should I say, one of the only hotels in Luanda).

Proof of pre-paid accommodation in Russia is equivalent to a "letter of
invitation".and is accepted by Russian visa issuing authorities. Perhaps the
same is true for Angola. You would need to check this with the Angolan
emabassy in Ottawa. http://www.embangola-can.org/

The only other way I
can see getting the letter of invitation is to join some kind of tour.
I'll consider it, but it's bound to be prohibitively expensive. I've
already been looking at tours within Namibia and to Botswana/Zimbabwe.
I was hoping only to spend three days in Luanda before flying home.

I don't imagine for one minute that you're the first independent traveller
to go to Angola. Talk to the their Embassy - they are there to help you.

I guess what you're saying is Russian visa has the same problems, you
need exiting plane ticket (they might require an entry one too to
confirm your arrival date). I never went to Russia because of the
complications with getting a visa and booking travel there.

Actually, it's really quite easy. I've been several times (and never once
been asked to produce a return air ticket).

I'm hoping
that I won't have to pass up Angola for the same reason. Anyone ever
hear of someone being refused the visa after they meet all the
requirements and apply? (And purchased plane tickets).

Why would they - providing you meet all their requirements. They are
probably glad to have a few tourists about these days!

Gerry

Old August 27th, 2008, 01:09 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:17:34 +0100, "Gerald Oliver Swift"
wrote:

I'm hoping
that I won't have to pass up Angola for the same reason. Anyone ever
hear of someone being refused the visa after they meet all the
requirements and apply? (And purchased plane tickets).

Why would they - providing you meet all their requirements. They are
probably glad to have a few tourists about these days!

Gerry

Actually, they don't give a dingo's testicle for a tourist in Luanda.
The bureacracy in Angola in mind-numbingly staggering. I don't know of
anyone offering tours in Luanda (there are tours commencing in Namibia
and heading upwards, but I doubt if there's much around Luanda.

Unless you have a very specific reason for visiting Luanda, I can't
actually recommen that you go there. I've been there many times, and
Luanda is a busy, filthy, overcrowded, dangerous, and chaotic city.
Hotels are ludicrously overpriced, and even with a FIRM, PRE-PAID
hotel reservation you will find that you get to the hotel and there's
no room available. I've had that happen twice at the Tropico Hotel
which is the best hotel in Luanda.

The Ilha (a spit of land in the harbour) is quite nice to visit, but
the food is overpriced, lousy quality, and just getting to the Ilha is
a two-hour drive through the worst traffic imaginable. Generally, the
restaurants in Luanda are lacklustre and expensive. Service levels are
shocking, and they make absolutely no attempt to welcome tourists.

If you're determined to go to Luanda, make sure you have a Yellow
Fever innoculation certificate and a visa. Visas are expensive too.
You could apply for a visa while in Johannesburg. It takes about three
days, and I've never had one refused.

Marc.