Denver and Surrounding Area

Old February 4th, 2008, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

Default Denver and Surrounding Area

"Bill Burk" wrote in message
It would be nice if you said where you are coming from?????

007

Given he's posting via Pipex its probably the UK

Keith

Old February 4th, 2008, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Steve Cain

Also visit rocky mountain national park (unless it is closed for the
winter).

June is not winter.

The writer has assumed some general knowledge possessed by locals here in
the RM's. Perhaps better said would be "unless the road has remained closed
for the winter."
There are no assurances the road will actually be ready for travel early
June.

http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisi...conditions.htm

Old February 7th, 2008, 03:11 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_2_]

"Pipex News" wrote in message
Hi All
Travelling to Denver on the 5th June until the 18th. We wish to travel
through the surrounding areas. Definite places to visit so far are
Yellowstone and the Battle of the Little Bighorn site. I appreciate that
in the period we have lots of places cannot be visited. I have been using
Streets and Trips but when I have put in all the places I wanted to go, it
ran to 2700 miles, which is perhaps a little much. I see also that
Yellowstone accommodation is already booked up. Intend staying in Denver
first night and perhaps 2 more prior to return flight. Mostly want to
spend time on scenic routes. We are in our 60's so lots of walking at that
altitude is not needed.

Regards

Pat

I left the Denver Tech Centre (south of the city) on a Friday night, spent
the night in Cheyenne. Next morning moved west with stops in Laramie,
Medicine Bow, Rawlins and some lesser places to Green River for the night.
Sunday we visited Kemmerer and Fossil Butte and made our way up to Alpine.
Monday we moved on through Jackson and Grand Teton, past Old Faithful to
West Yellowstone. Even though this was late September I'd had poblems
getting rooms in the park itself (but I'd only tried to book about 10 days
ahead). Three nights in West Yellowstone gave us time to drive most of the
park but I'd have done better with more time. We only managed a couple of
short hikes, mainly simply to some of the hot springs etc just off the road.
Progress through the park can be very slow with people (including me)
stopping to look at the wildlife. It's tempting to become blase about cars
parked on the side of the road "it's another moose/elk/bison/dog/human" but
keep alert - late one afternoon coming back out to WY I nearly drove past
parked cars only to realise they were watching an Eagle in its' nest.

Thursday saw us going up over Bear Tooth Pass into Montana - wonderful
drive. I can't reccomend it enough. Saw a wolf (or what I believe was a
wolf). That night we were in Billings. Next day we visited Bighorn and
then went on to Greybull (I had an aviation related reason to go there -
it's not a "normal" stop for tourists). The Bighorn site has an
interesting visitor centre but the surrounding grassland is, well,
grassland. I'm sure it means more to people who have studied Custer etc.

Saturday we went on to Thermpolis which entertained us for longer than I
might have otherwise expected; the free hot pools maintained by the state
and the Dinosaur Museum. That night we made Douglas (I'm interested in
trains as well as planes). A little way before Douglas and about 2/3 miles
off the interstate there's a natural bridge. Sunday we drove back down to
Denver.

We were in our mid 50s when we did the trip and we live at sea level. I've
been to Denver on more than one occasion and I don't find it too
debilitating. Just take it easy for a day or two. If you want
debilitating then try La Paz, Bolivia but even then it's a case of taking it
easy and allowing your body to catch up.

Had I not been to the Rocky Mountain National Park on a previous trip I
might have been tempted to go that way out of Denver and then up to Rawlins
rather than through Cheyene. That summit is somehere like 11k ft (can't
remember the details) so I might be tempted to try and include that on my
way back to Denver having acclimatised during the previous week. I had
been in Denver for the previous week on business so it wasn't an issue.

Old February 10th, 2008, 05:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Feb 4, 8:45*am, "Pipex News" wrote:
Hi All
Travelling to Denver on the 5th June until the 18th. We wish to travel
through the surrounding areas. Definite places to visit so far are
Yellowstone and the Battle of the Little Bighorn site. I appreciate that in
the period we have lots of places cannot be visited. I have been using
Streets and Trips but when I have put in all the places I wanted to go, it
ran to 2700 miles, which is perhaps a little much. I see also that
Yellowstone accommodation is already booked up. Intend staying in Denver
first night and perhaps 2 more prior to return flight. Mostly want to spend
time on scenic routes. We are in our 60's so lots of walking at that
altitude is not needed.

Regards

Pat

I have my own online booking travel engine that anyone can have for
under $500. It is a home business and all vacations are a tax write
off. Please check my site at www.liveearthtravel.net There is a
company demo to listen to about the company . Click on Book Travel to
get to the search engine--we are partners with Travelocity and rates
are very good---Hope this helps. My contact info is on the site.---
Hope this helps---Irene
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:44 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

wrote in message
On Feb 4, 8:45 am, "Pipex News" wrote:

I have my own online booking travel engine that anyone can have for
under $500.

Never do business with a spammer especially one that has
such an 'interesting' history.

http://worldwidescam.info/ytb/Red%20Flags.htm
http://www.419legal.org/frauds/ytbscam.php

Keith

Old February 12th, 2008, 03:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sidney

"Pipex News" wrote in
:

Hi All
Travelling to Denver on the 5th June until the 18th. We wish
to travel through the surrounding areas. Definite places to
visit so far are Yellowstone and the Battle of the Little
Bighorn site. I appreciate that in the period we have lots of
places cannot be visited. I have been using Streets and Trips
but when I have put in all the places I wanted to go, it ran
to 2700 miles, which is perhaps a little much. I see also that
Yellowstone accommodation is already booked up. Intend staying
in Denver first night and perhaps 2 more prior to return
flight. Mostly want to spend time on scenic routes. We are in
our 60's so lots of walking at that altitude is not needed.

Regards

Pat

Buffalo Bills Grave, Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs...
Cheyenne Mountain, Cliff Dwellings..