Yellowstone itinerary suggestions

Old February 14th, 2010, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MAS

Default Yellowstone itinerary suggestions

We have 4 days, 3 nights in Yellowstone at the end of May. Any
suggestions of daily itineraries at a medium pace that would cover the
most scenic places (waterfalls, geysers, wildlife) in that short time
period would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Marsha
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:29 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Clive Barrows

On Feb 14, 7:39*pm, MAS wrote:
We have 4 days, 3 nights in Yellowstone at the end of May. *Any
suggestions of daily itineraries at a medium pace that would cover the
most scenic places (waterfalls, geysers, wildlife) in that short time
period would be appreciated.

It looks as if nobody else is going to reply to you, so I will. We've
been on various itineraries from "Itforit.com", and their "Geysers &
Glaciers" itinerary does almost exactly what you are asking. It
provides an itinerary of 3 days seeing the most popular areas, all in
an easy format.

For some reason, they seem to be making their pdf downloads free at
the moment, so you've got nothing to loose. The Yellowstone National
Park section is on Days 5, 6 & 7 of the much longer itinerary called
"Geysers & Glaciers", and you may not want the rest of it, but as it's
free, you may as well have a look. It's at http://www.itforit.com

Clive
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

MAS wrote:
We have 4 days, 3 nights in Yellowstone at the end of May. Any
suggestions of daily itineraries at a medium pace that would cover the
most scenic places (waterfalls, geysers, wildlife) in that short time
period would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Marsha

4 days is pretty good.

I would not miss soaking in the hot springs near the north entrance, but
it could be closed in May as they close it when the water is high in
the spring.

I would do a hike up Mount Washburn (lots of mountain goats). Also do
the hike to Fairy Falls.

Rent a rowboat and go out on Lake Yellowstone.

Here's some good information on Old Faithful that not many people know
about "http://tinyurl.com/oldfaithfulboilers".
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dymphna[_35_]

End of May things are just going to be opening up. It is going to be
cold still - so dress warm, very warm. Are you camping or hotel? Which
direction are you coming into the park from? I live not too far from the
park, so let me know and I can lay it out better for you.

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Old February 17th, 2010, 03:20 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MAS

On 2/16/2010 12:13 PM, Dymphna wrote:
End of May things are just going to be opening up. It is going to be
cold still - so dress warm, very warm. Are you camping or hotel? Which
direction are you coming into the park from? I live not too far from the
park, so let me know and I can lay it out better for you.

We will be at Old Faithful Inn from 5/23 through 5/27. We're staying in
Cody the night before and the night after. Coming from the East. We're
renting an SUV. I was trying to find a park tour, but it looks like
there is only one running at the time we'll be there.

Marsha
Old February 17th, 2010, 11:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dymphna[_36_]

Be sure not to allow them to put you in the main lodge. It is so old and
not comfortable. Nice to look at, not nice to stay in.

You are in luck - ok I am mean. You get road construction on your
entrance. That's right you have won 30 minute delays getting in and out
of the park this year. 'Yellowstone National Park - Road Construction
Delays and Closures (U.S. National Park Service)'
(http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm) here is a list
of official closures at that time.

When you come into the park you are also going to come into a burn
area. This past fall there was a fire at Fishing Bridge to Yellowstone
Lake area.

I would recommend seeing the Canyon, you can see this pretty easily and
not have to go far off the road. Mammoth is a must! Much of this can be
seen from a vehicle and there is little walking to see the rest of it.
It is actually my favorite part of the park and the prettiest. I don't
know how many of the walk ways will be open to see places like Norris
and the Paint Pots by then. Both are not hard walks.

Midway Geyser Basin you might have more luck with. It is not as big or
as much to traverse. There is also a great deal you can see right off
the road with that one.

Tower Falls is beautiful, but I don't know that you will be able to get
down there w/o skiing to it.

Remember:

Drive fast and pass on curves.
Let your children ride the buffalo.
Pet the moose.
Feed the bears.

This message being brought to you by the Mammoth Medical Clinic.

Old February 18th, 2010, 01:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MAS

On 2/17/2010 5:30 PM, Dymphna wrote:
Be sure not to allow them to put you in the main lodge. It is so old and
not comfortable. Nice to look at, not nice to stay in.

We have "high-range rooms", and I did ask - they are not in the main lodge.

[...]

Thank you so much for the info!

Marsha