Canada and USA this August

Old February 8th, 2008, 03:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Canada and USA this August

Sorry for being so unclear. Swiftcurrent in Glacier National Park.

Bob
Old February 9th, 2008, 03:45 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

wrote in message
Sorry for being so unclear. Swiftcurrent in Glacier National Park.

Bob

Sounds great. Glacier is beautiful. We are Albertans who have NEVER been to
Waterton Park. Maybe this May. How is the weather in Waterton Park in May?
We can't leave Edmonton until about May 7 and have to be back home by end of
May.

Old February 9th, 2008, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gary Stollman

In article 87c28027-30fc-4664-9f1d-50616c2fe8b2
@f10g2000hsf.googlegroups.com, says...
Hi Group,

We are in the early stages of putting together an itinerary for our
trip this August. Flights and car hire are booked.
We arrive at Calgary Airport in August for 10 days. We want to see
Glacier NP in Montana. Also the Icefields Parkway and maybe Vancouver.
My plan was to drive down to Glacier then along the "into the Sun
Highway" to Whitefish. From here we could drive to Vancouver using
Highway 3 in Canada.
Is there a better more scenic route to take to get there?
What places of interest (if any) are there along the way?
We would then drive up to Whistler and then carry on back to the
Icefields.
Alternatively from Montana we could drive back up to Alberta and
spend the time exploring thus giving British Columbia a miss this time
(a good excuse to visit again).
What recommendations would anyone give for "must see in Alberta"?

Looking foward to any ideas and suggestions

Thanks and regards

Bob

*****
GO see Yosemite National Park, near Fresno in Calif...It beats
Switzerland for beauty, and you can walk through a waterfall to get to
the top of it...There is nothing on Earth that compares to it...It is so
popular, you can only stay a week in the valley....But you will think
you died and went to heaven...Go to
www.yosemite.com for info...You will
adore it more than anything in Canada!!

Gary

Old February 9th, 2008, 08:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

Gary Stollman wrote:

GO see Yosemite National Park, near Fresno in Calif...It beats
Switzerland for beauty, and you can walk through a waterfall to get to
the top of it...There is nothing on Earth that compares to it...It is so
popular, you can only stay a week in the valley....But you will think
you died and went to heaven...Go to www.yosemite.com for info...You will
adore it more than anything in Canada!!

My guess would be that you have never been to Switzerland or Canada.

Old February 9th, 2008, 08:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Gary Stollman wrote:

GO see Yosemite National Park, near Fresno in Calif...It beats
Switzerland for beauty, and you can walk through a waterfall to get to
the top of it...There is nothing on Earth that compares to it...It is so
popular, you can only stay a week in the valley....But you will think
you died and went to heaven...Go to www.yosemite.com for info...You will
adore it more than anything in Canada!!

My guess would be that you have never been to Switzerland or Canada.

I have been to both. And Yosemite Valley ranks up at the top tier.
Yosemite park is huge, and not all of it is as striking as the valley
section.

Old February 10th, 2008, 07:14 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
george

On Feb 9, 9:09*pm, Gary Stollman wrote:
[...]

Gary- Hide quoted text -

Yes, the dry waterfalls are magnificent in August!!!!!

George
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:14 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Josh S

In article bl9rj.18292$w57.10102@edtnps90,
"sharx35" wrote:

wrote in message
Sorry for being so unclear. Swiftcurrent in Glacier National Park.

Bob

Sounds great. Glacier is beautiful. We are Albertans who have NEVER been to
Waterton Park. Maybe this May. How is the weather in Waterton Park in May?
We can't leave Edmonton until about May 7 and have to be back home by end of
May.

Waterton is very lovely and quaint.
I was first there in May 1952 then again in July 2002 and very little of
the town has changed. No high rise hotels there!
There are two paved roads going west up into the mountains, with great
hiking along them. Even saw two grizzly bears across a lake near the
AB/BC/USA borders.
My first visit was on May24th weekend. One day was lovely and warm, the
next day had 6" of snow. In the mountains you can get any season in the
summer.
The lovely (expensive) railway hotel isn't open until July.
Most visitors in 2002 were from south of the border, Waterton is very
popular with Americans.
You can boat south from Waterton across the USA border.
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Josh S

In article
,
" wrote:

Hello all,

Many thanks for all the responses. On reflection I have to agree that
10 days will not do justice to the area. We don't want to spend all
day everyday stuck on the seat of a car.

Wise decision.

So to plan B.
First night after landing at Calgary drive and stay in Lethbridge.

Why not stay in Waterton, but book ahead.

Next day on to Waterton Lakes and drive along Akamina Parkway and Red
Rock Parkway.
Maybe a short hike.
Then onto Swiftcurrent for a couple of days. Iceberg trail a must.
When finished on to the Going into the sun highway.
Any recomendations for Trails, hidden gems along this road. Plan to
stay somewhere between Logan Pass and Lake McDonald for a night or two
then backup to the Icefields and Yoho National Park as per sharx35
suggestion.

You could loop around to Drumheller and see the mother lode of large
Dinosaur fossils.
http://www.traveldrumheller.com/

With so much to see and do I think this will be just the start of many
visits over the coming years.
Feel free to suggest Plan C D E. ..........
Thanks again.