Eastern Usa- Canada

Old February 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
max11

Default Eastern Usa- Canada

Hi at all!
I'm planning a travel of 4-5 weeks (from May 4th to June 6th or
13th) . I'll travel alone, stay in hostels and travel by bus or plane.
It's expensive to rent a car because I am laone (eventually I could
join in car with other people.

Ny (7 days),
Boston (3)
Montreal (3)
Quebec City (2)
Toronto (3)
Niagara (1)
then flight to Chicago (4)
flight to (Philadelphia 2)
Washington (4)

After decided other most important things, I could decide to go to New
Orleans (for example CH-NO $94 and NO-WA $96) from Chigago.

Quebec: Is better to go from Montreal and then go to Toronto, or go
directly from Boston?

What do jou thik about?
Old February 5th, 2008, 04:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Feb 5, 8:19*am, max11 wrote:
Hi at all!
I'm planning a travel of 4-5 weeks (from May 4th to June 6th or
13th) . I'll travel alone, stay in hostels and travel by bus or plane.
It's expensive to rent a car because I am laone (eventually I could
join in car with other people.

Ny (7 days),
Boston (3)
Montreal (3)
Quebec City (2)
Toronto (3)
Niagara (1)
then flight to Chicago (4)
flight to (Philadelphia 2)
Washington (4)

After decided other most important things, I could decide to go to New
Orleans (for example CH-NO $94 and NO-WA $96) from Chigago.

Quebec: Is better to go from Montreal and then go to Toronto, or go
directly from Boston?

What do jou thik about?

I thik about world peace and the key to happiness.
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

max11 wrote:

Hi at all!
I'm planning a travel of 4-5 weeks (from May 4th to June 6th or
13th) . I'll travel alone, stay in hostels and travel by bus or plane.
It's expensive to rent a car because I am laone (eventually I could
join in car with other people.

Ny (7 days),
Boston (3)
Montreal (3)
Quebec City (2)
Toronto (3)
Niagara (1)
then flight to Chicago (4)
flight to (Philadelphia 2)
Washington (4)

After decided other most important things, I could decide to go to New
Orleans (for example CH-NO $94 and NO-WA $96) from Chigago.

Quebec: Is better to go from Montreal and then go to Toronto, or go
directly from Boston?

What do jou thik about?

It depends on how you are travelling and the travel connections and costs.
If driving, you may as well From boston it is 310 miles Montreal, and
396 to. Then it is 263 from Quebec to Montreal. That means 573 miles
driving fromBoston to Quebec and then to Montreal, compared to a total of
836 to go Boston to Montreal, on to Quebec and then back to Montreal, not
to mention that it will give you extra time to see Quebec without having
to spend at least three hours driving there. I imagine that bus and train
fare would reflect those extra distances.

Old February 5th, 2008, 07:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Michel Talbot[_2_]

Quebec: Is better to go from Montreal and then go to Toronto, or go
directly from Boston?

I don't think there is a direct flight between Boston and Quebec City.

Bus or train between Montreal and Quebec takes about 3 hours and is much
cheaper than flying.

Old February 5th, 2008, 08:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Michel Talbot wrote:
Quebec: Is better to go from Montreal and then go to Toronto, or
go
directly from Boston?

I don't think there is a direct flight between Boston and Quebec
City.

Bus or train between Montreal and Quebec takes about 3 hours and is
much cheaper than flying.

By air if you start in Boston you change planes in Montreal anyway (or
other places for higher fares).

By rail Boston to Quebec you change trains in Albany and Montreal and
have a remain overnight in Montreal (the last train from Montreal to
Quebec leaves before the first train from Albany arrives).

So if you're going to both Montreal and Quebec from Boston and the
sequence doesn't matter, you may as well go Boston/Montreal/Quebec and
not try to fight the system.

To be perfectly honest, this is one time when it seems to me to make
sense to just rent a car in Boston and drive to Quebec. The travel
time's about the same as flying and the cost including gas for a one
way rental is about the same as the air fare and there's some
"picturesque" country in between. Might even be able to take a side
trip up Mount Washington if you're into that sort of thing.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old February 6th, 2008, 04:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Michel Talbot[_2_]

Dave Smith a écrit:

Then it is 263 from Quebec to Montreal.

150 miles

Old February 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

Michel Talbot wrote:

Dave Smith a écrit:

Then it is 263 from Quebec to Montreal.

150 miles

Oops..... my figures should have been in kilometers

Old February 6th, 2008, 04:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ed Treijs

In article ,
max11 wrote:
Hi at all!
I'm planning a travel of 4-5 weeks (from May 4th to June 6th or
13th) . I'll travel alone, stay in hostels and travel by bus or plane.
It's expensive to rent a car because I am laone (eventually I could
join in car with other people.

May is a good month to visit northeastern North America, although it is
possible to get cold weather or snow, especially at the beginning of the
month. (In Ontario, there was quite a bit of snow on Victoria Day a year or
two back, and that's around May 24!)

However, when the weather is nice, it is very pleasant indeed.

Ny (7 days),
Boston (3)
Montreal (3)
Quebec City (2)
Toronto (3)
Niagara (1)
then flight to Chicago (4)
flight to (Philadelphia 2)
Washington (4)

Does the time include travel? Because it will take most of a day to do some
of the legs, such as Quebec City to Toronto. I think that you should
reconsider the number of cities you want to visit, and make sure you have at
least two non-travel days in each.

Quebec City is a good tourist destination, but I'd suggest that it would make
more sense to visit Ottawa instead. Ottawa is between Montreal and Toronto,
so this reduces your travel time and expense (many buses
Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto, and trains too.) Ottawa has a fair amount of
history, and many national museums as well as the historic Parliament
buildings.

There are many bus tours to Niagara, but I'd suggest you rent a car for a day
or two while in Toronto. Niagara is the one leg that's a very easy drive.
It seems that you will be in Toronto/Niagara area around May 20. The Niagara
area has many blooming fruit trees at this time, and it is worth taking a
longer driving tour.

.....Ed
Old February 7th, 2008, 03:11 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

In article
,
max11 wrote:

Hi at all!
I'm planning a travel of 4-5 weeks (from May 4th to June 6th or
13th) . I'll travel alone, stay in hostels and travel by bus or plane.
It's expensive to rent a car because I am laone (eventually I could
join in car with other people.

Ny (7 days),
Boston (3)
Montreal (3)
Quebec City (2)
Toronto (3)
Niagara (1)
then flight to Chicago (4)
flight to (Philadelphia 2)
Washington (4)

After decided other most important things, I could decide to go to New
Orleans (for example CH-NO $94 and NO-WA $96) from Chigago.

Quebec: Is better to go from Montreal and then go to Toronto, or go
directly from Boston?

What do jou thik about?

I would say you are planning a marathon, not a vacation, but that's just
me. I hate rushing around and I much prefer to take time to see
different areas at a leisurely pace.

I suggest you pick four cities to visit, spend five days in each one,
and allocate a full day to travel between them (including getting
to/from wherever you plan to sleep at night) and leave the others for a
different trip.

One thing to keep in mind is that the United States and Canada are large
countries and you appear to be forgetting about travel time between
destinations on your proposed itinerary. For example, you'll spend all
day getting from Boston to Montreal if you go by bus, so add a day right
there.

On a trip like that, I suggest six days in NYC. A half day traveling to
Boston, then four days in Boston, a day traveling by bus to Toronto.
Spend a few days there and two days in Niagara Falls (Canadian side).
Then fly to Chicago and spend four or five days there, then conclude
your trip in EITHER Washington or Philadelphia.

In short, I think you would have a much leisurely trip and see more if
you drop one of the cities from your itinerary, but whatever you do, be
sure to factor in travel time between the destinations you want to visit.
Old February 7th, 2008, 08:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

Ed Treijs wrote:

May is a good month to visit northeastern North America, although it is
possible to get cold weather or snow, especially at the beginning of the
month. (In Ontario, there was quite a bit of snow on Victoria Day a year or
two back, and that's around May 24!)

True, it does happen once in a while, like once every 30 years or so. Geneally it
is very pleasant weather in May.

Does the time include travel? Because it will take most of a day to do some
of the legs, such as Quebec City to Toronto. I think that you should
reconsider the number of cities you want to visit, and make sure you have at
least two non-travel days in each.

Quebec City is a good tourist destination, but I'd suggest that it would make
more sense to visit Ottawa instead. Ottawa is between Montreal and Toronto,
so this reduces your travel time and expense (many buses
Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto, and trains too.) Ottawa has a fair amount of
history, and many national museums as well as the historic Parliament
buildings.

I would agree that Ottawa may be a better choice than Quebec, considering that the
OP wants to go to Toronto and Niagara. Quebec has an interesting old town, but I
would need to be reminded of anything else there worth seeing. Ottawa has a lot
more to see and to and would cut down on travel time and costs.

There are many bus tours to Niagara, but I'd suggest you rent a car for a day
or two while in Toronto. Niagara is the one leg that's a very easy drive.
It seems that you will be in Toronto/Niagara area around May 20. The Niagara
area has many blooming fruit trees at this time, and it is worth taking a
longer driving tour.

Try to figure out when Blossom Week is supposed to be and come a week or so before
that. It is pretty nice when all the blossoms are out in the orchards. However,
there are nowhere near as many orchards as there used to be. A lot of the orchards
along the QEW have turned into subdivisions and industrial parks and in the NotL
area many of them have been cut town and replaced with vineyards, whose blossoms
are quite subtle.