Temp lockers at Chicago Union Station?

Old December 17th, 2003, 05:14 PM
J. Koskey

Default Temp lockers at Chicago Union Station?

Since our Amtrak train home doesn't leave Chicago until the afternoon,
we'd like to go to Union Station in the morning and stash our bags in
a locker, then go do some touristy thing nearby.

My questions
- given the security measures these days, do they still have these
lockers at Chicago's Union Station?
- where are they located within the station - near Amtrak?
- are they the high-tech kind where for $1 or so you get an access
code - then have to put in more $$ upon return?
- how big are the lockers - can they hold two small suitcases and a
carryon?
- is there any other means to leave your luggage - a checkin place or
something?

Thanks for any feedback! J. Koskey
Old December 17th, 2003, 08:47 PM

J. Koskey wrote:
Since our Amtrak train home doesn't leave Chicago until the afternoon,
we'd like to go to Union Station in the morning and stash our bags in
a locker, then go do some touristy thing nearby.

My questions
- given the security measures these days, do they still have these
lockers at Chicago's Union Station?
- where are they located within the station - near Amtrak?
- are they the high-tech kind where for $1 or so you get an access
code - then have to put in more $$ upon return?
- how big are the lockers - can they hold two small suitcases and a
carryon?
- is there any other means to leave your luggage - a checkin place or
something?

They have lockers right across the hall from the baggage claim area. I've
never used them (or Amtrak), but I walk past them every day on the way to
my commuter train. They have the keypad type where you enter a code. There
are two problems though. First, they have limited hours that you can use
them. You can't store anything in them overnight. I'm not sure what times
they are 'open'. I guess I can read the little sign when I walk past
tonight. The other problem that I've noticed is that on occasion they shut
them down entirely due to 'increased security'. I'm not sure what prompts
this, but they just stick a big sign up for a couple of days that says
that you can't use the lockers. So, you might want a backup plan if you're
considering this. They do have lockers that are big enough for luggage.

Manda
Old December 18th, 2003, 04:41 PM

wrote:
J. Koskey wrote:
[...]

Following-up to my own post - checked yesterday and lockers are available
from 7 am to 8 pm.

Manda
Old December 19th, 2003, 10:35 PM
J. Koskey

Following-up to my own post - checked yesterday and lockers are available
from 7 am to 8 pm.

Manda

Thanks, Manda - that was really nice of you to check and report back!