KL + Penang.

Old September 23rd, 2004, 04:22 PM

Default KL + Penang.

We've not been for over 10 years & will be there in October. We're not
really into shopping malls but will probably stay near KLCC. We're looking
for places with atmosphere like in old Malacca & was wondering if anyone can
recommend somewhere similar in KL. Is KL's Chinatown is still like it was
many years ago. Can smeone recommend some these days, is it sti

Jalan Petaling and Jalan Hang Lekir
Jalan Alor

Old September 23rd, 2004, 10:28 PM
Miguel Cruz

out@large wrote:
We've not been for over 10 years & will be there in October. We're not
really into shopping malls but will probably stay near KLCC. We're looking
for places with atmosphere like in old Malacca & was wondering if anyone can
recommend somewhere similar in KL. Is KL's Chinatown is still like it was
many years ago. Can smeone recommend some these days, is it sti

Jalan Petaling and Jalan Hang Lekir

Three welcome changes:

1. A fancy new covering to keep the rain off.
2. Fancy new paving stones.
3. Cars don't drive up Jalan Hang Lekir nearly so much.

You can see a photo I took a few weeks ago that shows the new rain shield:

http://travel.u.nu/photo-my-27.php

Jalan Alor

Jalan Alor is 100% the same. Nearby Bukit Bintang is much changed though
(for the better).

If you're looking for more traditional areas in KL, consider a walk around
the Kampong Baru neighborhood. And of course Chow Kit market.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 31 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Old September 24th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Thanks Miguel,

Will have a nose around those places. Any ideas which are the best
buses/coaches from KL to Penang? i found this
http://www.plusliner.com.my/index2.html but i'm sure there are other
bus/coach companies operating from KL to Penang, Have you any tips or advice
for Penang? i can only see 2 pictures of Penang on your site, don't tell me
you didn't like Penang?

thanks.

Old September 24th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Miguel Cruz

In article , out@large wrote:
Will have a nose around those places. Any ideas which are the best
buses/coaches from KL to Penang? i found this
http://www.plusliner.com.my/index2.html but i'm sure there are other
bus/coach companies operating from KL to Penang

Plusliner is consistently good. However, I don't have the patience (or
planning ability) for schedules. Normally I just go to the Puduraya bus
terminal and hop on with whoever promises me a 24-seater bus that's leaving
within the hour. Sometimes I get screwed with a broken-down old bus or no
A/C but normally it works out fine.

Have you any tips or advice for Penang? i can only see 2 pictures of
Penang on your site, don't tell me you didn't like Penang?

I haven't been to Penang since getting a digital camera - back in the film
days I was a pretty reserved photographer.

Penang is a great place for Chinese culture and food, with a strong
historical feel. Just don't expect idyllic beaches!

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 31 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Old September 24th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Alfred Molon

out@large out@large wrote:

Will have a nose around those places. Any ideas which are the best
buses/coaches from KL to Penang? i found this
http://www.plusliner.com.my/index2.html but i'm sure there are other
bus/coach companies operating from KL to Penang, Have you any tips or advice
for Penang?

Just any 24-seater bus will be fine. The trip takes approx 6 hours.

i can only see 2 pictures of Penang on your site, don't tell me
you didn't like Penang?

See here some photos of Pinang:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Malaysia/Pinang/
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Austria, Prague,
Budapest and Portugal

Old September 25th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Waseem S.

I would also look at AirAsia fares to Penang for your dates. If you are
flexible about the time
of departure, it can turn out to be comparable in price

waseem