Wanted: Flat in London for Mar 2004

Old September 30th, 2003, 02:22 AM
the Strauss Guy

Default Wanted: Flat in London for Mar 2004

My family and I (i.e., wife and four children, ages 6-11) are planning
a trip to London for a week in March. We'd like to rent a flat,
preferable in Central London, that will accommodate all six of us.
We'd also like to try to stay under about £700 if that's feasible (and
in the £450-500 ballpark would be super--although perhaps unrealistic
or at least hard-to-find).

Any recommendations?

the StraussGuy
Old September 30th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Philip George

Even for a long lease, you'd be looking at spending at least £1000 a week for a
3-bed apartment in Central London. Citadines charge around £200 per night for
a 2 adult + 4 child -capable apartment for a 1-week let.
(see http://www.citadines.co.uk)

Outside Central London (say zones 2 or 3) you could find something for £500
per week for something of that size. Very short term lets are not easy to
find outside the central area though (as not much demand for them).

Good luck!
phil

For Central London you should double

Old September 30th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Keith Willshaw

"the Strauss Guy" wrote in message
om...
My family and I (i.e., wife and four children, ages 6-11) are planning
a trip to London for a week in March. We'd like to rent a flat,
preferable in Central London, that will accommodate all six of us.
We'd also like to try to stay under about £700 if that's feasible (and
in the £450-500 ballpark would be super--although perhaps unrealistic
or at least hard-to-find).

Any recommendations?

the StraussGuy

In central london there's no change of getting a 3 bedroom flat
for that sort of money

see http://www.aplacelikehomelondon.co.uk/props.html
for typical prices

If you are prepared to look in the suburbs you should be able to
find something like it

http://www.gowithit.co.uk/london/londonfindex.html

Keith

Old September 30th, 2003, 05:49 PM
thegourleys

Hi,
I had this bookmarked for my past trip to London. I didn't stay there,but
it seems fine. Bermondsey is a little seedier section than central London.
It is across the Thames and very close to central London. I would send now
for a Visitor Travel Card for the tube for a week's duration. Look and see
if there is a family card as I am not sure. Just get a Zone 1 or 2 as that
is all you will need. Most museums are free. DO NOT but a London Pass as
they are very expensive and not worth the money. You will find plenty to do
in London and with 4 kids I wouldn't worry about side trips to other places.

If you need more info post back.

Good luck,
Bill

Here are some links:

http://www.parums.com/Ateam.html These first 2 links are the same apartment
with different pictures and descriptions.

http://www.goin2travel.com/ateam.htm

http://www.visiteurope.com/Britain/

http://www.londontown.com/index.phtml

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/europe/london/

http://www.british-museum.ac.uk/tours/index.html

http://www.londontourist.org/

http://www.timeout.com/london/

http://www.a-london-guide.co.uk/ A popup ad here

Old September 30th, 2003, 10:16 PM
thegourleys

http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk/tfl

Click on the link for fares and tickets on the left hand side. then click on
the link for Travelcards. Click on the Family Card and the Visitor
Travelcard.

Family card is 2.70 pounds for each adult each day
Child (you indicated you only need up to 11 yr old) .80 pounds per day.

Visitor Travelcard is 19.80 pounds per adult for 7 days
Child is 8 pounds each for 7 days.

In all cases children under 5 are free. With the Visitor Travelcard you get
20% off some attractions and restaurants.

You have to look and decide which is best for you. There is no way you want
a car in London. Parking fees and congestion charges,rental cost,etc.

You will have to get from the airport to downtown. An adult single fare
ticket from Heathrow (zone 6) to zone 1 is 3.70 pounds per adult and 1.5
pounds per child.

DO NOT attempt to go to/from the airport by tube at rush hour with 4 kids
and baggage. I'm sure you already know that,but it bears repeating G.

Best of luck,
Bill

Old September 30th, 2003, 10:46 PM
Michael Brennan

In article ,
thegourleys wrote:
[...]

. com...
My family and I (i.e., wife and four children, ages 6-11) are planning
a trip to London for a week in March. We'd like to rent a flat,
preferable in Central London, that will accommodate all six of us.
We'd also like to try to stay under about £700 if that's feasible (and
in the £450-500 ballpark would be super--although perhaps unrealistic
or at least hard-to-find).

Any recommendations?

the StraussGuy

I thought the Travelcards could not be used before 9:30am Mon-Fri?.

--mikeb
Old October 1st, 2003, 05:02 AM
thegourleys

"Michael Brennan" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
thegourleys wrote:
http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk/tfl

I thought the Travelcards could not be used before 9:30am Mon-Fri?.

http://www.ticket-on-line.com/cgi-bi...=lu&tf_buy=yes
&lang=en&output_template=vtc_start_page&crypto_blo ck=c%2D%2D%2DDeQ9KJgUYV%5F
qSTdgyS6MokW3XfRYMJ7kEG6d%2DgzsoHjrlAw4d78cS0%2D%2 DY&chan=vtc

Old October 1st, 2003, 05:18 AM
thegourleys

thegourleys wrote:
http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk/tfl

I thought the Travelcards could not be used before 9:30am Mon-Fri?.

http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk..._visitor.shtml

Sorry about the bad link. Click on this link. Scroll down the page to
www.ticket-on-line.com . Click on the Help/Frequently Asked Questions link.
In there it tells you that they are good 24 hours a day 7 days a week. This
is for the Visitor Travelcard. I didn't check for the others.

Bill