The eternal question about electricity

Old July 26th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Mark Fagan

Default The eternal question about electricity

If it works in Europe, it probably is dual voltage 110V/240V and 50/60Hz.
It will say this on the charger. If this is the case, you only need an
adapter to be able to plug it into the wall outlet. This is about a $1 item
for France, but not sure what you need in the CR. Most hotels in France
have 120V power, usually built into the hairdryer, but this will only supply
low wattage items like cell phones and tooth brushes, not irons or
hairdryers (which you can borrow if they aren't already in the room anyway).

"Franken Stein" wrote in message
Hi everybody,

I am probably going to Alsace or Czech Republic this year, and I need to
find a converter that will allow me to plug my North American Nokia 3100
cell phone charger to recharge my battery.

Last year, I bought a converter at Radio Shack and it never worked. This
year, I need something that works because I the cell phone I own works
in Europe.

Help!

Old July 26th, 2004, 05:08 AM
John Bermont

Franken Stein wrote:
Hi everybody,

I am probably going to Alsace or Czech Republic this year, and I need to
find a converter that will allow me to plug my North American Nokia 3100
cell phone charger to recharge my battery.

Last year, I bought a converter at Radio Shack and it never worked. This
year, I need something that works because I the cell phone I own works
in Europe.

Help!

My chapter on electricity should be of help.
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap11/electric.htm

Most probably you need a 50 watt transformer rather than a 'converter.'
What are the power requirements for your charger, i.e. amps and watts?
Also, is your charger rated for 50 Hz in addition to 60 Hz? If not you
may need to buy a charger in Europe. It shouldn't be hard to find a
suitable charger being as how cell phones are very common in Europe. If
you go to Europe often a European charger might be a good investment.

John Bermont
* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

Old July 26th, 2004, 05:14 AM
PTRAVEL

Check your charger -- it is probably dual voltage. If it says 115/220 50/60
Hz (or something similar, i.e. 110/240, etc.) then you don't need a
converter or a transformer. All you need is a plug adapter.

Old July 26th, 2004, 05:30 AM
Graham Harrison

It depends what you mean by "converter". If you mean something that
converts the prongs on the plug I'd go back to Radio Shack and just buy
another one, sounds like you were unlucky. If you mean a different
transformer to convert 115v or 240v or whatever then I question whether you
need one. My (European) Nokia works perfectly well if I plug the supplied
transformer into a prong converter and plug that into the wall (just been
doing just that in the US).

--
*****
*****The "return to" address embedded in this mail is wrong as an antispam

Old July 26th, 2004, 07:56 AM
nightjar

"Franken Stein" wrote in message
Hi everybody,

I am probably going to Alsace or Czech Republic this year, and I need to
find a converter that will allow me to plug my North American Nokia 3100
cell phone charger to recharge my battery.

Last year, I bought a converter at Radio Shack and it never worked. This
year, I need something that works because I the cell phone I own works
in Europe.

One of the gadgets that keeps tempting me when I fly BA is the mains-free
charger for mobile phones. I think it it uses the clockwork system for
electrcity generation that was originally developed for radios in Africa.

Colin Bignell