Update on stolen digital camera in checked luggage

Old June 13th, 2005, 08:49 PM
yaofeng

Default Update on stolen digital camera in checked luggage

I reported a few months ago my Nikon 5700 digital camera stolen in a
January trip to one of the Caribbean islands. I have never thought
twice in the past two to three years packing a digital camera in my
checked bag when my carry on runs out of room. And nothing has
happened, obviously, until this past January.

In my hotel room when I arrived, I found a TSA note notifying my the
bag has been searched. Naturally when I returned in February, I filed
a claim against TSA, and also my home insurance. I also found the
carriers (there were two, CO on the first leg, and AA second) were
cleared of any responsibilities by virtue of the ticket agreement.

Guess what? I received a letter from TSA asking me if I'd agree to
accept a compensation of three hundred and fity some dollars, I forgot
the exact figures, for the loss.

Since my home owners policy has a $500 deductible. I might as well
forego the claim with the incurance co. The TSA compensation worths
about 50% of the camera. But I used the Nikon for more than two years.
I'll gladly accept the 50%. I bought a far superior digital SLR Nikon
D70 in any case.

Does that mean TSA is admitting guilt?

Old June 13th, 2005, 09:00 PM
tim \(moved to sweden\)

"yaofeng" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

no, it means they are admitting negligence

tim

Old June 13th, 2005, 11:42 PM
JimL

If TSA is "offering" a settlement, why not make a counter offer saying
you will settle for the actual cost of the camera?

Old June 14th, 2005, 12:13 AM
irwell

On 13 Jun 2005 15:42:13 -0700, "JimL" wrote:

If TSA is "offering" a settlement, why not make a counter offer saying
you will settle for the actual cost of the camera?

Take the money and run, or a bird in the hand is worth
two in the bush.
Old June 14th, 2005, 12:40 AM
mrtravel

JimL wrote:
If TSA is "offering" a settlement, why not make a counter offer saying
you will settle for the actual cost of the camera?

It's a good offer. Consider what would happen if you had to prove that
you actually lost something. How do you actually prove the camera was
there to start with? It seems like anyone can claim something got lost.
Old June 14th, 2005, 12:58 AM
Rog'

"JimL" wrote:
If TSA is "offering" a settlement, why not make a counter
offer saying you will settle for the actual cost of the camera?

Not to make light of your situation, but recently...
A TSA guy at the Newark Airport peered into the bag of an item
that I had hand-carried across the Atlantic from Amsterdam that
morning, and said, "We're gonna have to confiscate that." I got
a very confused look on my face, "Huh? I said.

"Don't worry, he's only kidding," said the agent next to him.
"We're not going to keep your Belgian chocolate." I was actually
worried there, for a moment. =Rog'=

Old June 14th, 2005, 12:59 AM
Pooty Lizard

"yaofeng" wrote in message
ups.com...

Does that mean TSA is admitting guilt?

No, it means carry your camera into the plane
on carryon.

Old June 14th, 2005, 02:49 AM
yaofeng

Is that what you would have done?

Old June 14th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Darryl

Rog' wrote:
Not to make light of your situation, but recently...
A TSA guy at the Newark Airport peered into the bag of an item
that I had hand-carried across the Atlantic from Amsterdam that
morning, and said, "We're gonna have to confiscate that." I got
a very confused look on my face, "Huh? I said.

"Don't worry, he's only kidding," said the agent next to him.
"We're not going to keep your Belgian chocolate." I was actually
worried there, for a moment. =Rog'=

Ah yes, cop humor. It truly exists in a world of its own. And if
you'd said "No, I thought you meant the Semtex" they would have
wrestled you to the ground.

I guess it's only funny when THEY say it.

Old June 23rd, 2005, 03:52 AM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:58:26 -0400, "Rog'"
wrote:

"JimL" wrote:
If TSA is "offering" a settlement, why not make a counter
offer saying you will settle for the actual cost of the camera?

Not to make light of your situation, but recently...
A TSA guy at the Newark Airport peered into the bag of an item
that I had hand-carried across the Atlantic from Amsterdam that
morning, and said, "We're gonna have to confiscate that." I got
a very confused look on my face, "Huh? I said.

"Don't worry, he's only kidding," said the agent next to him.
"We're not going to keep your Belgian chocolate." I was actually
worried there, for a moment. =Rog'=

Try making a similar "joke" to them and see what happens....

Jim P.