Toronto-Tel Aviv - which route?

Old September 16th, 2003, 09:10 PM

Default Toronto-Tel Aviv - which route?

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:26:49 +0300, Binyamin Dissen
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:13:22 GMT wrote:

:On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:46:40 +0300, Binyamin Dissen
wrote:

:On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 04:53:11 GMT
wrote:

::Having an argument with friend who is going to Tel Aviv
::later this year. She is considering several routes:

::1. NY-Toronto-Amsterdam (12 hr. layover w/free hotel) - Tel Aviv
::on KLM.

::2. NY-Tel Aviv nonstop on El Al

::3, Use her miles for r.t to London, then a separate r/t ticket
::to Tel Aviv.

:Probably the worst choice. She will be subject to the much lower European
:luggage limitations.

:Thanks. Have forwarded that info to her.

::I thought that if she was going to lay over anywhere,
::it might as well be London, where she's never been,
::because she could stay several days, since it's
::a different ticket than London-Tel Aviv.

::What can you see in 12 hours in Amsterdam, and I don't
::even know if it will be day or night?

:Typically the flight would arrive in the morning and continue at night

::If it were my flight, I would take NY-Tel Aviv nonstop on El Al.
::Their security is the best, and also non-stop eliminates all those
::landings and takeoffs, which are always the most dangerous part of a
::flight (even before Al Quaeda shoulder-mounted...)

:Also faster. But likely more expensive.

:$67.00 more, according to her figures.

::Choice of routes; that's up to her; it's a function of many
::variables, not all rational.

::What I would like to know for my own info:

::Does Toronto-Tel Aviv follow a Great Circle?

:It is Toronto-Amsterdam.

:? I don't understand. I'm talking about the non-stop
:Toronto-Tel Aviv.

"1. NY-Toronto-Amsterdam (12 hr. layover w/free hotel) - Tel Aviv"

If directly to TA I would expect slightly further south.

:It should be going north.

:Unclear.

::IOW, does it go over the N. Pole? In that case, going
::NY-Toronto would not be as much out of the way as it seems.

:Not that far north.

:I flew London-LAX years ago, over the Pole. Looked down
:at the Canadian barrens with the thousands of glacial lakes.
:Quite an experience.

Are you sure it was the pole?

Well, hell, after all these years - no, I'm not sure!

:LAX is 34 degrees 09' N. and Tel Aviv is ~31 degrees 30'

:Toronto is 43 degrees 38' N. and London is much further North --
:51 degrees 33' N.

:So if a London-LAX flight found the shortest distance between two
:points was over the Pole, why wouldn't that be true as well for
:Toronto-Tel Aviv?

Does it?

See above tail between legs reply.

:DOES anyone know whether Toronto-Tel Aviv flights
:go over the Pole?

Doesn't.

--

Traveler

Old September 17th, 2003, 02:47 PM
DALing

uh... because there ARE some 767 freighters (UPS has a few) but the 767-300
may or may not be a freighter depending on the aircraft.

wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:29:37 GMT, Dick Locke
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:13:22 GMT, wrote:

DOES anyone know whether Toronto-Tel Aviv flights
go over the Pole?

TIA

\

Here's a generic answer:
http://gc.kls2.com/

WHAT A GREAT SITE!!! One more thing to "waste" g
my time on. I'm hooked!

Flights generally stay pretty close to the great circle route.
Sometimes they deviate north on westbound transocean routes and south
on eastbound to catch or avoid winds. Sometimes they deviate for
political reasons or to avoid paying ATC fees for a short excursion
across a country. Sometimes a two engine plane has to stay within a
certain number of minutes of an airfield.

The 767 is a stretched twinjet, innit?. However, it's not a
freighter, so I don't understand why my print-out lists "767-300",
which the Boeing site identifies as a freighter. This is not the
first time I ran into this. Anybody?

--

Traveler