Hotel recommendation needed

Old January 12th, 2010, 02:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marsha[_2_]

Default Hotel recommendation needed

On 1/11/2010 9:38 PM, Charles wrote:
In , wrote:

But I've never heard of a diabetic like Sue's husband,
who can't even take a tiny bite of white flour. But then, white flour
isn't really good for anyone, IMO.

I think he may also have a gluten issue... but from Sue's posts
obviously she also prefers to have a big breakfast at the hotel and not
a fast light one at Starbucks. The menu items at Starbucks are not
really the issue.

Okay, that's different. But I didn't get that from her posts, because
she said "Every diabetic is different and can tolerate different things.
Just one tiny bite of white flour and Kevin's blood sugar spikes." So I
thought it was only an issue of glucose levels.

Marsha
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Brian wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:42:54 -0500, Sue Mullen
wrote:

Every diabetic is different and can tolerate different things. Just one
tiny bite of white flour and Kevin's blood sugar spikes. Not a good way
to start a cruise.lol

sue

I was not familiar with that aspect of it.

I was thinking that toast and cereal, or oatmeal, and perhaps fruit
would have been OK.

I am happy that you don't have to know all of this!!

sue
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

wrote:

Every diabetic is different and can tolerate different things. Just one
tiny bite of white flour and Kevin's blood sugar spikes. Not a good way
to start a cruise.lol

sue

I was not familiar with that aspect of it.

I was thinking that toast and cereal, or oatmeal, and perhaps fruit
would have been OK.

The key for diabetics is carbs. There are good and bad carbs. A lot of
diabetics can handle some oatmeal, because it doesn't spike their sugar
fast. Anything that makes your sugar go very high and then drop quickly
is not good. White bread, potatoes, pasta, and sugar are not good.
Blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, etc., are relatively low in
carbs and can be eaten in small amounts by most diabetics. Pineapple,
peaches - bad.

You are right here. A small bowl of oatmeal works and he can eat berrys
of any kind. Funny that potatoes are not supposed to be ok, but he can
eat them without a problem. Pineapple, peaches, watermelon etc are way
too high in sugar. Wheat pasta is supposed to be ok, but Kevin hasn't
had much luck with it.

But I've never heard of a diabetic like Sue's husband,
who can't even take a tiny bite of white flour. But then, white flour
isn't really good for anyone, IMO.

When he was first dx he was told to stop all white flour and go for
whole grains, low carb. Later on he has tried things with white flour
and it just doesn't work for him.

sue
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Charles wrote:
In article , Marsha wrote:

But I've never heard of a diabetic like Sue's husband,
who can't even take a tiny bite of white flour. But then, white flour
isn't really good for anyone, IMO.

I think he may also have a gluten issue... but from Sue's posts
obviously she also prefers to have a big breakfast at the hotel and not
a fast light one at Starbucks. The menu items at Starbucks are not
really the issue.

No, he does not have a gluten problem, that is something different then
blood sugar issues and has different symptoms. Yes, I do like a big
breakfast when we are on vacation, but would be fine with something like
Starbucks if Kevin could find something there he could eat.

sue
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

In , wrote:

But I've never heard of a diabetic like Sue's husband,
who can't even take a tiny bite of white flour. But then, white flour
isn't really good for anyone, IMO.

I think he may also have a gluten issue... but from Sue's posts
obviously she also prefers to have a big breakfast at the hotel and not
a fast light one at Starbucks. The menu items at Starbucks are not
really the issue.

Okay, that's different. But I didn't get that from her posts, because
she said "Every diabetic is different and can tolerate different things.
Just one tiny bite of white flour and Kevin's blood sugar spikes." So I
thought it was only an issue of glucose levels.

Marsha, you are right!!

sue
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marsha[_2_]

On 1/11/2010 11:21 PM, Sue Mullen wrote:
of any kind. Funny that potatoes are not supposed to be ok, but he can
eat them without a problem.

For some diabetics, if a high-carb item is eaten with fat, it will slow
the spike, e.g. small baked potato with butter or hash browns.

Marsha

Old January 13th, 2010, 01:02 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 23:15:26 -0500, Sue Mullen
wrote:

I am happy that you don't have to know all of this!!

sue

I am too. I'm familiar with diabetes but not all of the details that
have been mentioned here.

I had a pacemaker about 6 months ago and for some reason they were
concerned about my being diabetic although I had had a blood test the
week before. I was eventually able to persuade them. They wanted to
keep coming in all night doing finger pricks.
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Marsha wrote:
On 1/11/2010 11:21 PM, Sue Mullen wrote:
of any kind. Funny that potatoes are not supposed to be ok, but he can
eat them without a problem.

For some diabetics, if a high-carb item is eaten with fat, it will slow
the spike, e.g. small baked potato with butter or hash browns.

Yup and I think that has to do with the glycemic index? I leave that
level of detail to Kevin.

sue
Old January 13th, 2010, 09:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Sue Mullen wrote:

Marsha wrote:
On 1/10/2010 7:20 PM, Brian wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 23:06:48 -0500, Sue
wrote:

The Gallery One and the Hampton Inn are very close in price. The Gallery
One does not have free shuttles, but cabs are not that expensive in
Florida. It also does not have a free breakfast, but a continential
breakfast usually does not work for Kevin because of his diabetes. On
the plus side is that the Gallery One is suites which will be very
comfortable.

sue

Why is the breakfast a problem for someone with diabetes?

A continental breakfast usually entails mostly carb-filled stuff -
bagels, doughnuts, waffles, cereal, etc. Not good for diabetics.

Not only carb filled, but with the wrong kind of carbs such as white flour.

IME, the Hampton Inn usually has tea, coffee, juices, hard boiled
eggs, various kinds of cereals like oatmeal, and some cold cereals
like raisin bran and cheerios, bananas, apples and other whole fruit
in addition to the donuts, waffles etc. It varies from place to
place. Sometimes there's pre-made omelets, sometimes creamed chipped
beef (which wouldn't work for Kevin I guess), but the Hampton doesn't
have what I think of as a regular continental breakfast of pastries
and coffee.

Old January 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

wrote:

[...]

and coffee.- Hide quoted text -

very true and rarely Hard Boiled eggs. Wish they had that as a choice
its hit and miss