connecting at chicago

Old September 15th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Stephen Chaplin

Default connecting at chicago

i'm travelling from manchester to orlando via chicago. I've connected at
dallas and washington previously so i know the procedure (pick bags up,
customs, drop bags off etc.). Is it just as easy in chicago as it is at
dallas/washington.

Got 2 hrs to do this and get from terminal 5 to terminal 3 - is that plenty
of time?

Old September 15th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Peter L

"Stephen Chaplin" wrote in message
i'm travelling from manchester to orlando via chicago. I've connected at
dallas and washington previously so i know the procedure (pick bags up,
customs, drop bags off etc.). Is it just as easy in chicago as it is at
dallas/washington.

Got 2 hrs to do this and get from terminal 5 to terminal 3 - is that

plenty
of time?

2 hours is pretty tight.

Old September 15th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:00:59 +0100 "Stephen Chaplin" wrote:

:i'm travelling from manchester to orlando via chicago. I've connected at
:dallas and washington previously so i know the procedure (pick bags up,
:customs, drop bags off etc.). Is it just as easy in chicago as it is at
:dallas/washington.

Yes.

:Got 2 hrs to do this and get from terminal 5 to terminal 3 - is that plenty
:of time?

Should be.

Customs in Chicago has never been that bad in my experience.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old September 15th, 2003, 09:17 PM
me

"Stephen Chaplin" wrote in message ...
i'm travelling from manchester to orlando via chicago. I've connected at
dallas and washington previously so i know the procedure (pick bags up,
customs, drop bags off etc.). Is it just as easy in chicago as it is at
dallas/washington.

Yup. Pretty much the same system. Claim, declare, check go to
gate.

Got 2 hrs to do this and get from terminal 5 to terminal 3 - is that plenty
of time?

Wouldn't be for me but....
Old September 15th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Jon Eccleston

"Stephen Chaplin" wrote:
Got 2 hrs to do this and get from terminal 5 to terminal 3 - is that
plenty of time?

I just recently made it from T5 to T1 in 90 minutes, but it was close and I
wouldn't recommend it. 2 hours should be comfortable, but still get off the
plane ASAP.

70 minutes of my connection were spend in the immigration queue. There were
no staff supervising and a lot of queue-jumping, so watch out and stand your
ground.

--
Jon Eccleston :: http://jon-eccleston.net

"This is the light of my soul;
A sacred territory in which no-one may intrude!"
Old September 16th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Stephen Chaplin

Cheers for all the replies. I've actually got 2hrs 25 to make the connection
so it gives me a bit more breathing space!

additional question - Coming back i've got 1hr to get from terminal 5 to 1.
Should be enough given i dont need to pick up bags??

Stephen

Old September 16th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Binyamin Dissen

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:02:50 +0100 "Stephen Chaplin" wrote:

:Cheers for all the replies. I've actually got 2hrs 25 to make the connection
:so it gives me a bit more breathing space!

:additional question - Coming back i've got 1hr to get from terminal 5 to 1.
:Should be enough given i dont need to pick up bags??

I presume you mean 1 to 5.

Which airlines are you flying?

As a side point, it could be tight. It could easily take a half hour from
wheels down until you get from C2 to the tram.

Old September 16th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Stephen Chaplin

sorry yes 1 to 5

It is united from orlando to chicago and british midland from chicago to
manchester

Old September 16th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Binyamin Dissen

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:16:41 +0100 "Stephen Chaplin" wrote:

:sorry yes 1 to 5

:It is united from orlando to chicago and british midland from chicago to
:manchester

If BMI & UA are tight, and BMI will not be insisting on you checking in two
hours before ....

And you are on a single ticket and BMI will handle it if you miss the
connection .....

Remember, you will have to get off the plane, exit the terminal (and the UA
terminal is BIG with potentially a long walk), take the tram to 5, re-enter
security, etc.

. ..
:

Old September 16th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Jon Eccleston

"Stephen Chaplin" wrote:

Cheers for all the replies.

You're very welcome. I've been lurking here for nearly a year, and
suddenly a topic's come up that I can comment on.

additional question - Coming back i've got 1hr to get from terminal 5
to 1. Should be enough given i dont need to pick up bags??

When I landed on my return flight to ORD, we were stuck on the taxiway for
about 20 minutes due to heavy traffic and our gate still being occupied.
Still, after I got off the plane, it only took another 15-20 minutes to get
from T1 to T5.